Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts
well kauboy..i honestly and truly beleive its a all around best idea to prepare for the worse and hope that it dont happen..just look how things went when the dust bowl happened.folks not only starved to death.and thats because they weren't prepared for it.what are you and your folks gonna do if things dont go back to the way things are now?what will yall do for food if you dont have a garden?what will yall do for food and water if yall dont stock up on it for hard times,and while yall be waiting on crops to produce food?

I would say head for the coast and stick to the shoreline. Moving northwards you are also more likely to not run into any undesireables in the sense that you wont have drug barons and their cartels etc finding you or your stuff.

The coast is a preppers lifeline, you can fish, get shellfish, get various edible plant species for very little work. I'd advise if possible, go as far north as you can, perhaps hitting along South/North Carolina. Or head straight north and go to Chicago area (by the great lakes). A fully fueled car should be able to do that in 16-18 hours pending on traffic and how you drive. Give or take it is 1000 miles (yes thats a lot, however most cars nowadays can do between 900-1100 with a full tank). At worst you should have some jerry cans with fuel also.

Why do I suggest going there? Well you are far enough away from the people coming by boat or hoping the fences. You are on the coast line with an abundant source of shellfish and edible fish species, along with plant life and wildlife which can be hunted for food and clothing.

Drawbacks to either location -

Chicago area - cold winters which will test any prepper
North/South Carolina - bugs and such like which could make your life hell (fire ants, moqsuitos etc).

well kauboy..i honestly and truly beleive its a all around best idea to prepare for the worse and hope that it dont happen..just look how things went when the dust bowl happened.folks not only starved to death.and thats because they weren't prepared for it.what are you and your folks gonna do if things dont go back to the way things are now?what will yall do for food if you dont have a garden?what will yall do for food and water if yall dont stock up on it for hard times,and while yall be waiting on crops to produce food?
Like I said, this was my opinion.
Our planet has advanced to the point where response to major incidents is days.
In the event of a nationwide problem, where our own destroyed infrastructure won't allow response, foreign powers will step in.
Again, either to help or to rule, but stability will be the goal.
If a global catastrophe happens, the likelihood that we survive the Yellowstone volcano blast or a dino-ending meteor is abysmal.
If you can't survive underground for 50-100 years, you don't stand much of a chance against these types of things.
If a solar flare knocks out electronics, it would be difficult for a few months, but it wouldn't be permanent.

In the end, you can only do so much.
You will never be able to account for *all* possibilities.
The best we can do is assess the risk and plan for what we consider to be reasonable.
My plan does not make sense for everyone, and theirs don't always make sense to me.
My intention is to have a year worth of supplies for 6+ people.
If things go longer than a year, the world will be so different from now, I can't fathom even trying to plan for a scenario like that.
A disaster that large would likely obliterate any plans made for that length of time.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.