Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Where are you.....going?

8K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  Kauboy 
#1 ·
Hello all fellow Texans! With how big Texas is and all the populated cities we have what are some places that are "Bug out worthy"? Im not asking for a disclosed location your super secret spot, but a general direction if I was to bug out.

I'm located in Spring, North of Houston, and the reason I ask is because I feel like i'm surrounded by mid to large sized cities. Huntsville, College Station, Houston, Galveston, of course you all know this... I just don't know where to even start?! Shoot for the coast or go further inland? I would be traveling with my car and after I've gone as far as I have with that its off with my bike.

Any help is appreciated

#2 ·
Just my opinion, head east or NE Texas. Look for the evacuation routes and go perpendicular.

I'm south of Houston and my direction is farther south. Helps that I have a boat too. Most people will be heading north or west to SA.

Btw, it also depends in the scenario.

#3 ·
NOT likely to ever happen, but if there were ever a SHTF situation where border patrol wasn't doing their thing... HOLY COW! I can only guess Texas would be FLOODED with waves of illegals and drug cartel robbing, raping, and pillaging anything and everything they could get their hands on. BAIL, BAIL, BAIL! Head North FAST would be my first thoughts and plans.

#5 · (Edited)
Actually, let me clarify. I'd be no where near the "border". When I say south you'd have to know where I'm starting from and I guess technically it would be south east, specifically 130 degrees from Galveston. Grab a map and you'll get the picture. ;)

Also to clarify, in a shtf scenario, where border patrol wasn't doing their thing, the citizens of Texas would. Being in SC you may not appreciate that statement but Texas would probably have better border security. The handcuffs would come off.

I would not leave Texas nor head north. The Texas/Louisiana border is a good area with plenty of resources to meet a survival need. The only other area would be into the high plains of Texas. You'd need to stay away from any population centers and Texas is big enough for you to do that.

If you did head north and leave Texas, the farthest north and not be in Yankee land would be Oklahoma or parts of Arkansas. Both have good wilderness areas that would meet the needs and good people. (Along with my neighbors in LA)

#15 ·
You got that right!!! The Feds are the only thing standing Texas's way of putting that border under lock down!

Back to the OP...I would stick to East Texas or North of Dallas/Ft Worth to the Red River as being your best bet. Im in DFW so I am headed a bit north to less populated grounds if I cant hunker down where I am at.

#14 ·
Personally, I think anything east of the Mississippi River would not be a very good location. Even if you are 100 miles from a major city. If it were a long term situation, the city folk would end up out int he country before too long. I am from Florida and used to think if I moved to the panhandle or somewhere in North Florida, it would be far enough. Then I realized that there are just too many people in Fl for it to be a safe bol. You want to be where population is very very small. That is one of the reasons we are here in this part of Montana. It is desolate even for Montanans. When we tell people where we live, they are like "Wow, you are really out there!" That is the kind of reaction I like to hear..lol

#19 ·
I'm right near the DFW area. I'm not too close to the major cities, so there's a bit of a buffer, but I still won't be staying home.
If there is enough time to do so, I'm throwing the family, 2-3 months of food, and 1K rounds of ammo into the truck and heading 15 minutes to my folk's place.
They are even more remote, have water available in the area, a decent population of small game and good sight lines to keep watch.
The only hitch in this plan is, they don't prep.
I'm going to need to tweak my preps a bit to account for 2 more adults, and my brother if he makes it out to us, but hopefully that won't be too much more.

I don't foresee any real potential for a long and drawn out scenario of living off-grid. I don't anticipate needing to start a year-round garden or raise livestock.
My preps will hopefully take us out to somewhere between 3 and 6 months.
After that, there will have been a significant population decrease, and some form of authority will have been reestablished.
We're too advanced as a civilization to remain in the dark and cold for too long. Plus depending on the cause, other nations will come in to either help or invade. Either way, stability will be the goal.
Barring the YS super-volcano, I don't think we will suffer nationwide cataclysms that would knock us out for years. (anything that big is damn near un-survivable)
That's just my personal opinion, and I don't mean for it to discourage anyone who feels otherwise.

This is my first post, be gentle. :)

#22 ·
well kauboy..i honestly and truly beleive its a all around best idea to prepare for the worse and hope that it dont happen..just look how things went when the dust bowl happened.folks not only starved to death.and thats because they weren't prepared for it.what are you and your folks gonna do if things dont go back to the way things are now?what will yall do for food if you dont have a garden?what will yall do for food and water if yall dont stock up on it for hard times,and while yall be waiting on crops to produce food?

#24 ·
Like I said, this was my opinion.
Our planet has advanced to the point where response to major incidents is days.
In the event of a nationwide problem, where our own destroyed infrastructure won't allow response, foreign powers will step in.
Again, either to help or to rule, but stability will be the goal.
If a global catastrophe happens, the likelihood that we survive the Yellowstone volcano blast or a dino-ending meteor is abysmal.
If you can't survive underground for 50-100 years, you don't stand much of a chance against these types of things.
If a solar flare knocks out electronics, it would be difficult for a few months, but it wouldn't be permanent.

In the end, you can only do so much.
You will never be able to account for *all* possibilities.
The best we can do is assess the risk and plan for what we consider to be reasonable.
My plan does not make sense for everyone, and theirs don't always make sense to me.
My intention is to have a year worth of supplies for 6+ people.
If things go longer than a year, the world will be so different from now, I can't fathom even trying to plan for a scenario like that.
A disaster that large would likely obliterate any plans made for that length of time.

#23 ·
I would say head for the coast and stick to the shoreline. Moving northwards you are also more likely to not run into any undesireables in the sense that you wont have drug barons and their cartels etc finding you or your stuff.

The coast is a preppers lifeline, you can fish, get shellfish, get various edible plant species for very little work. I'd advise if possible, go as far north as you can, perhaps hitting along South/North Carolina. Or head straight north and go to Chicago area (by the great lakes). A fully fueled car should be able to do that in 16-18 hours pending on traffic and how you drive. Give or take it is 1000 miles (yes thats a lot, however most cars nowadays can do between 900-1100 with a full tank). At worst you should have some jerry cans with fuel also.

Why do I suggest going there? Well you are far enough away from the people coming by boat or hoping the fences. You are on the coast line with an abundant source of shellfish and edible fish species, along with plant life and wildlife which can be hunted for food and clothing.

Drawbacks to either location -

Chicago area - cold winters which will test any prepper
North/South Carolina - bugs and such like which could make your life hell (fire ants, moqsuitos etc).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.