Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,599 Posts
I'm right near the DFW area. I'm not too close to the major cities, so there's a bit of a buffer, but I still won't be staying home.
If there is enough time to do so, I'm throwing the family, 2-3 months of food, and 1K rounds of ammo into the truck and heading 15 minutes to my folk's place.
They are even more remote, have water available in the area, a decent population of small game and good sight lines to keep watch.
The only hitch in this plan is, they don't prep.
I'm going to need to tweak my preps a bit to account for 2 more adults, and my brother if he makes it out to us, but hopefully that won't be too much more.

I don't foresee any real potential for a long and drawn out scenario of living off-grid. I don't anticipate needing to start a year-round garden or raise livestock.
My preps will hopefully take us out to somewhere between 3 and 6 months.
After that, there will have been a significant population decrease, and some form of authority will have been reestablished.
We're too advanced as a civilization to remain in the dark and cold for too long. Plus depending on the cause, other nations will come in to either help or invade. Either way, stability will be the goal.
Barring the YS super-volcano, I don't think we will suffer nationwide cataclysms that would knock us out for years. (anything that big is damn near un-survivable)
That's just my personal opinion, and I don't mean for it to discourage anyone who feels otherwise.

This is my first post, be gentle. :)

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,599 Posts
well kauboy..i honestly and truly beleive its a all around best idea to prepare for the worse and hope that it dont happen..just look how things went when the dust bowl happened.folks not only starved to death.and thats because they weren't prepared for it.what are you and your folks gonna do if things dont go back to the way things are now?what will yall do for food if you dont have a garden?what will yall do for food and water if yall dont stock up on it for hard times,and while yall be waiting on crops to produce food?
Like I said, this was my opinion.
Our planet has advanced to the point where response to major incidents is days.
In the event of a nationwide problem, where our own destroyed infrastructure won't allow response, foreign powers will step in.
Again, either to help or to rule, but stability will be the goal.
If a global catastrophe happens, the likelihood that we survive the Yellowstone volcano blast or a dino-ending meteor is abysmal.
If you can't survive underground for 50-100 years, you don't stand much of a chance against these types of things.
If a solar flare knocks out electronics, it would be difficult for a few months, but it wouldn't be permanent.

In the end, you can only do so much.
You will never be able to account for *all* possibilities.
The best we can do is assess the risk and plan for what we consider to be reasonable.
My plan does not make sense for everyone, and theirs don't always make sense to me.
My intention is to have a year worth of supplies for 6+ people.
If things go longer than a year, the world will be so different from now, I can't fathom even trying to plan for a scenario like that.
A disaster that large would likely obliterate any plans made for that length of time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.