Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all fellow Texans! With how big Texas is and all the populated cities we have what are some places that are "Bug out worthy"? Im not asking for a disclosed location your super secret spot, but a general direction if I was to bug out.

I'm located in Spring, North of Houston, and the reason I ask is because I feel like i'm surrounded by mid to large sized cities. Huntsville, College Station, Houston, Galveston, of course you all know this... I just don't know where to even start?! Shoot for the coast or go further inland? I would be traveling with my car and after I've gone as far as I have with that its off with my bike.

Any help is appreciated

·
Super Moderator
2,903 Posts
Just my opinion, head east or NE Texas. Look for the evacuation routes and go perpendicular.

I'm south of Houston and my direction is farther south. Helps that I have a boat too. Most people will be heading north or west to SA.

Btw, it also depends in the scenario.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
NOT likely to ever happen, but if there were ever a SHTF situation where border patrol wasn't doing their thing... HOLY COW! I can only guess Texas would be FLOODED with waves of illegals and drug cartel robbing, raping, and pillaging anything and everything they could get their hands on. BAIL, BAIL, BAIL! Head North FAST would be my first thoughts and plans.

·
Super Moderator
2,903 Posts
NOT likely to ever happen, but if there were ever a SHTF situation where border patrol wasn't doing their thing... HOLY COW! I can only guess Texas would be FLOODED with waves of illegals and drug cartel robbing, raping, and pillaging anything and everything they could get their hands on. BAIL, BAIL, BAIL! Head North FAST would be my first thoughts and plans.
Actually, let me clarify. I'd be no where near the "border". When I say south you'd have to know where I'm starting from and I guess technically it would be south east, specifically 130 degrees from Galveston. Grab a map and you'll get the picture. ;)

Also to clarify, in a shtf scenario, where border patrol wasn't doing their thing, the citizens of Texas would. Being in SC you may not appreciate that statement but Texas would probably have better border security. The handcuffs would come off.

I would not leave Texas nor head north. The Texas/Louisiana border is a good area with plenty of resources to meet a survival need. The only other area would be into the high plains of Texas. You'd need to stay away from any population centers and Texas is big enough for you to do that.

If you did head north and leave Texas, the farthest north and not be in Yankee land would be Oklahoma or parts of Arkansas. Both have good wilderness areas that would meet the needs and good people. (Along with my neighbors in LA)

·
Super Moderator
9,191 Posts
We are hindered on border security by the feds. Whatever happened to the 10th amendment? Anyhow, if it got left up to Texas, border crossings would move west. In a hurry. A quote from a Lt Gov candidate "the best 911 is a .308"

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
hill country is sustainable, bandera, utopia, media, frio, even kerville. plenty of rivers and lakes you can hunt and grow things

·
Registered
1 Posts
My family has a small place in deep East Texas that we deer hunt and run cattle on. We also have good shallow ground water there with two wells in place. I plan to put in a solar powered water pump on one of them. This is where I will be in a dire situation.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Yeah you may want to stay out of yankee land. It gets dam cold up here and unless your prepared ahead of time you last long in the winter.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I'm over in NM and we plan on moving West on this side of the divide, like Silver City, so whatever happens we can hug the mountains South or North. As it is, we're kinda out in the open here. Kinda close to Juarez too ahaha!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think Texas will be fine, except for the big cities. We will be going S.E( have family get away) about 100 acres lots of deer, turkey and hogs.
In Texas most babies receive a gun, a truck and ammo at birth and taught to use them

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Personally, I think anything east of the Mississippi River would not be a very good location. Even if you are 100 miles from a major city. If it were a long term situation, the city folk would end up out int he country before too long. I am from Florida and used to think if I moved to the panhandle or somewhere in North Florida, it would be far enough. Then I realized that there are just too many people in Fl for it to be a safe bol. You want to be where population is very very small. That is one of the reasons we are here in this part of Montana. It is desolate even for Montanans. When we tell people where we live, they are like "Wow, you are really out there!" That is the kind of reaction I like to hear..lol

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
We are hindered on border security by the feds. Whatever happened to the 10th amendment? Anyhow, if it got left up to Texas, border crossings would move west. In a hurry. A quote from a Lt Gov candidate "the best 911 is a .308"
You got that right!!! The Feds are the only thing standing Texas's way of putting that border under lock down!

Back to the OP...I would stick to East Texas or North of Dallas/Ft Worth to the Red River as being your best bet. Im in DFW so I am headed a bit north to less populated grounds if I cant hunker down where I am at.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Personally, I think anything east of the Mississippi River would not be a very good location. Even if you are 100 miles from a major city. If it were a long term situation, the city folk would end up out int he country before too long. I am from Florida and used to think if I moved to the panhandle or somewhere in North Florida, it would be far enough. Then I realized that there are just too many people in Fl for it to be a safe bol. You want to be where population is very very small. That is one of the reasons we are here in this part of Montana. It is desolate even for Montanans. When we tell people where we live, they are like "Wow, you are really out there!" That is the kind of reaction I like to hear..lol
I've got lots of ammo.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I've got lots of ammo.
Trust me, I have thousands and thousands of rounds of ammo. It's not all about ammo though. I am a several generation Floridian and it took a lot for me to leave! Florida WILL NOT be a safe place once SHTF!! I wish it would but don't see it happening.. I still have friends and family there that think that way. I truly wish them the best. But when it gets bad, they will be headed my way I am sure!! Florida is on thr verge of being the 3rd most populated state next to New York because all the New Yorkers are coming down there because of the weather!! I wish I was wrong but would bet my right nut that Florida as awhole is in trouble if it were to be a long term SHTF situation!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
im in deep east tx.nearest (big) city is jacksonville..and im in the country..so i believe i'll stay until further notice..

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,314 Posts
I'm right near the DFW area. I'm not too close to the major cities, so there's a bit of a buffer, but I still won't be staying home.
If there is enough time to do so, I'm throwing the family, 2-3 months of food, and 1K rounds of ammo into the truck and heading 15 minutes to my folk's place.
They are even more remote, have water available in the area, a decent population of small game and good sight lines to keep watch.
The only hitch in this plan is, they don't prep.
I'm going to need to tweak my preps a bit to account for 2 more adults, and my brother if he makes it out to us, but hopefully that won't be too much more.

I don't foresee any real potential for a long and drawn out scenario of living off-grid. I don't anticipate needing to start a year-round garden or raise livestock.
My preps will hopefully take us out to somewhere between 3 and 6 months.
After that, there will have been a significant population decrease, and some form of authority will have been reestablished.
We're too advanced as a civilization to remain in the dark and cold for too long. Plus depending on the cause, other nations will come in to either help or invade. Either way, stability will be the goal.
Barring the YS super-volcano, I don't think we will suffer nationwide cataclysms that would knock us out for years. (anything that big is damn near un-survivable)
That's just my personal opinion, and I don't mean for it to discourage anyone who feels otherwise.

This is my first post, be gentle. :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Ain't no one wanna come to Fresno....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts