Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to doing gardens and I have always heard older wiser folks say "its time for your peas and cabbage". I'm assuming they are going by an almanac for these guidelines? I just don't know where to start and what to plant?

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can start a garden anytime! Start with going to the library to get some good books to read in your spare time. You can start the peas now. Burpee gardens has a great resource on their seeds and will tell you exactly when to plant them and what zones to plant them in. I'm turning over my garden as soon as it dries up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I tried my hand at gardening for the first time last year and failed big time. I'm more motivated this year though.

I have a Burpee catalog, but I'm not sure which varieties of seed I should buy. Can somebody give advice for good species of plants for Northern NJ?

I'd like to try growing:
Tomatoes
Carrots
Cabbage
Onions
Peppers (Bell)
Lettuce
Cabbage
Corn

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm thinking of starting out small with some raised beds. I hear some people say to not use railroad ties because there are chemicals on them and the runoff can go into the soil. I'm also thinking of using those topsey turveys thingy's for smaller items like peppers and cherry tomatoes. I got one of my Burpee catalogs in also and there is a chart like budgrass said and regions of when and where to plant them. I figure that tomatoes will be the easiest and lettuce might be the hardest. I'll post some photos as my progress goes along.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts