Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
God forbid this country goes into complete craziness, living In SF should my family stay and protect our home or should we go someplace rural. If so where would the best place to go how do you prepare to go someplace rural what supplies would we need radio satellite phone etc?

·
Registered
Utility, function, ease of access, bushcrafting, training, communication
18 Posts
God forbid this country goes into complete craziness, living In SF should my family stay and protect our home or should we go someplace rural. If so where would the best place to go how do you prepare to go someplace rural what supplies would we need radio satellite phone etc?
So many answers, so little time... Honestly, the preference of placement is: Warm, defendable, and probably somewhere high... Or at least, reasonably hidden. As for supplies, well, honestly the basics would work fine if you worked with your family to organize it. First aid kit, extra water, some kind of dried goods, snack bars or trail mix (or hard candies), good hiking shoes that support the ankle and bridge, sturdy clothing, and of course the know how and training... most of it is camp-skills, like learning how to build a fire from scratch, or knowing what plants to eat and which to avoid... Boy Scout skills.

A vehicle sturdy and utility enough, like some trucks or, if financially available, other modified vehicles designed to get you from A to B. I drive a minivan, so I'm pretty much expecting to stay on any kind of road, but its a great budget vehicle in my opinion. Long story short, sturdy gear, sturdy vehicle, sturdy supplies, and sturdy skill.

And, one of the most overlooked segments I do not see much mentioned on this site, the will to survive! Teach your family that teamwork and vigilance is apocalypse-proof. Learn to depend on another, figure out your valuable skillsets and work upon them, and pull up your bootstraps because it's gonna get rough living in the rural in a SHTF scenario.

Once again, only an opinion, not even guidelines, as there are so many routes and paths in prepping. It's pretty straightforward, but also super complex.

·
Administrator
15,565 Posts
People planning on leaving the Big City, or even the suburbs, when things get bad and running away to "the country" don't realize there are already people out here. Who don't necessarily want a bunch of new comers around.
And running away to "the woods" presents even bigger problems.

You'd best lay low, don't draw attention to yourselves, and for goodness sakes if you have food and supplies put back, do not tell anyone.

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Unless you're in imminent danger, bunkering in place is your best option. You have the home field advantage, and access to all your preps.

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Besides, if most of the city slickers head to the hills, they'll leave most of the stuff behind. So that will be easy pickin's for those remaining.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
There really isn't anyplace to go that somebody else isn't already there. Unless your friends or family have a place your SOL. What's the plan just to knock on doors and pray?? Trust me that great waste land out in the country will be the last place you'll want to be searching for a place to live.

·
Registered
Bugging IN
104 Posts
I'm a geographic malcontent - have lived from California to Maine, Florida to Alaska and many points in between.
So - I've been through the process of researching relocation destinations Many time.
I've liked City-Data.com Forum: Relocation, Moving, General and Local City Discussions in the past.
I hesitate to encourage people to make drastic changes in their living locations a la dense city to rural country; it's very common for them to want to pack up again in short order for the very reasons they didn't live there in the first place.
There is no heaven on Earth - best you can do is decide what's important to you at this stage in your life and where might meet that.
All the '10 best places to __' lists are subjective and different and weren't written with YOU in mind, so take everything with a grain of salt.
If you can visit an area for a bit and then Rent a place there to get a handle on how it feels and what the 'bad' areas are, you increase your chances for success.
Also- jettison ALL the crap you can before moving.
Good luck!

·
Registered
169 Posts
If shit happens on the 10:00PM news you might have to leave the city by midnight. Unless you have a school bus, there is a limit to what you can carry. You would need to have food, equipment and clothes stockpiled somewhere. When I lived in a big city, I always had a plan and kept food, equipment and ammo stockpiled at a relative's place 50 to 200 miles away. Living out in the country, now the rolls are reversed and I store stuff for friends in a big city.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I am not trying to pick on you, but the reply above is correct. Get out of s.f. distance buys time. Time buys you options. If you truly need to bug out. By the time you get there it's likely to be inhibited by someone equally desperate. My home is my bugout location. It would require nuclear attack within 25 miles to get me to relocate. And I am rural with no reason for it here. Not even a target of opportunity.
Sell what you have and get away from Sodom and Gamora.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
If you are planning on leaving I would strongly suggest light and fast. Instead of trying to haul everything get a storage locker, friend or whatever and set up a supply base. This would mean a quite off road capable motorcycle with large fuel capacity. Couple saddle bags and backpack for a couple days supply. So your not sitting in traffic with the rest of the sheep.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Chipper has a good point, ever watch a video from a hurricane evac in Houston TX? Traffic gridlock can kill your chance for escape. In a traffic gridlock you might have to WALK out, after you run out of gas.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
When it comes to the debate here today, I must admit, I 'checked out' for several months. Oh, I know all of the attributes, the why's and wherefores, and even which "terminal devices" are probably better than the highly polished knives I have carried for almost 40 years.

I do not believe that "normal people" are of value. Oh, they might act nice, but then the rent is due and the wife splits with a younger man.

I do not believe in magic modern brews--if they work so good, how come that a thousand inventors aren't quick millionaires?

I do not believe in theft. I didn't steal. However most of my lineage did try to cash in with quick ideas. Most of these guys either wound up in jail or died.

I do believe in motorcycles with over-worked engines. Oh, you can get a bike to cruise like that for twenty years or so. If the guy next to you dies or explodes then consider it a gift from heaven.

Now, I never used to believe in redheads. Yeah, yeah, these gals will kill us all. They will drain us of money, sex or both.

And please take this as a "golden rule." If that redhead takes your car, your motorcycle, your cash and parts of your house, well, my guess you'll be dead before Christmas...

·
Registered
13 Posts

Firs thing, you say God forbid....to that I say as the Lord's angels told Lot flee to the mountains...you are smack dab in the middle of modern day Sodom...if you are truly of the Lord Jesus Christ, the word tells us to come out of her midst...better to be living in a cave then to be dining and feasting with the *********.

·
Registered
INCH
66 Posts
There are lots of opinions on when to stay, when to go. I have stuff. People will want said stuff when their stuff is gone, and will attempt to take ALL OF IT by any means possible. There is a LOT of bad people in the world and SHTF will bring them all out. In the name of survival, good people will become bad as well in an attempt to survive. I'd rather start the trek to my land before people stop helping each other and turn in to animals. While I do plan on making some stocks at home as soon as I move into the new house this summer, I am gone and abandoning it to as close to whatever event caused the evac as possible. Off to the hunting land, off grid, and my plan is more INCH than BO. If things are so bad that I have to leave, I doubt I am going back assuming there is even anything to go back to. I have been practicing the trip for almost ten years now. I've multiple driven routes memorized. I've taken the 3 day, 53mi hike there multiple times with the BOB. I've lived there for the summer, and had extended camping trips there in the dead of winter. I also have an alternate location owned by a family member, although I have yet to try a hike there. IMHO it's best to own land or know someone who does, because there are countless people with BOBs that have no clue how to use them whose plan is to simply "go to the woods" and think that binging "Naked and Afraid" gives them the skills they need to survive. The woods will be filled with ill prepared people that have no clue how to use the gear they bought for that very moment, as well as filled with the aforementioned bad people. I once took a prepper enthusiast friend to my land - he started the hike in brand new boots and his feet were raw by the time he hit camp, he did NOT have clean socks, he tried to start a fire using his flint and a rock, and drank water from the swamp he filtered through just a sock. Fortunately he wasn't sick, and his feet recovered just fine. While I love the guy, I am kinda glad he moved 1800mi away as now I don't worry about him expecting me to save him if SHTF. He was the last "new" person I took to my land.

My plan is not perfect, and no one's is as we have no clue what will really happen if anything ever happens at all. That said, this is only MHO, and my $0.02.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Realistically, if you wait for the last minute to bug out, you are going to face a disaster. At the last minute, millions of other people will also be bugging out. But that is just the first obstacle. If you make it into a rural area, there will be many others who make it out, too. In most places, the land is owned by someone, and you will then have to deal with armed land owners who are also trying to survive. If you head for public wilderness land, you will be competing with other people who have the same idea. You had better have a good supply of camping equipment, and hope that less prepared people don't try to steal it from you.

If you are living in San Francisco and things go completely crazy, you might be better off getting on a boat and leaving the area by sea, but that will have its own perils.

There is no good plan that involves waiting until the last minute to make a move. If you can foresee the trouble coming right now, then now is the time to make your move. The best way to make your move is to find a place where you can move to with permission of the owner, and then get there before the infrastructure is disrupted.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts