Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Part of the 'Stampede" I guess! I found the link on the Colt Forum and thought I would "jump in with both feet". Seems like a thought provoking forum with a lot of good folks and information.

I haven't read the archives, so if this has already been brought up I suppose Moderators could put it in the right forum.

As in the title, when SHTF, have you ever really thought how it will start?
Not to be morbid, but I was reading an article this week in one of my journals that an MD had written concerning death. I can't quote exactly, but was to the effect of "I have seen death come as quickly as a loose doorknob coming off in your hand, and as slow as rust forming on a piece of iron.

Doorknob in hand,>perhaps nuclear attack with results much like that of the storm (Sandy) last week.

Rust senario, >maybe wake up to a situation like those in the wake of the storm last week up the Atlantic coast, albiet without the distruction.

Electricity out, then water, cell phones not connecting etc. Not too much out of the ordinary to announce it's come until the second (or third) day perhaps. With no major event, and no communications we could (perhaps in a rural setting) be a day or two into the situation and not even know it, where in a city it might be more obvious.
I live in a small town in Alabama, and fortunate to have some property, some of it wooded, which is good I suppose if really needed to bug out to a campsite to get away from the crazies that are bound to develop in the populus. I've wanted for a long time to step back 100 or more years to a simpler lifestyle, but I'm not fooling myself. I don't think were ever totally prepared for the unknown.
It's not uncommon here to have the lights go out, morning or afternoon and at times continue through the night, due to trees falling on the powerlines etc. Last week the cellphone did 'not connect', an inconvience but a distant neighbor had a "push to talk' phone, and the cell did work later that night.

I think by the third day I would put my plan into action, probably because the local population would by then be giving out of food and water supplies. Sort of obvious something is wrong by then I suppose.
So what are some of your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Here's my trusty old 'Disaster List' again, I suppose all we can do is play it by ear depending which one zaps us.
Plus we're all different, some will be lone wolves with just themselves to look after, but others will have families.
And some live in cities, some in the country, and each area is different such as plains, mountains, dry, wet, warm, cold etc.
So like i said we'll just have to call the plays as best we can when it's Showtime..;)

1- Chernobyl-type nuclear plant accident, but on a much bigger scale, poisoning an area as big as the USA or the whole of Europe and Asia.
2- Massive meteor or asteroid strike wiping out millions with blast and tsunami, and kicking up enough dust to black out the sun for years like what wiped out the dinosaurs.
3- World War 3 exchange of nuclear weapons poisoning virtually the entire planet.
4- A plague wiping out most humans on earth after accidental release from a bio research lab, or a deliberate release by terrorists to wipe out the population of a specific country, or perhaps a virus naturally evolves that has no cure.
5- EC Event (Economic Collapse) triggering total breakdown of law and order resulting in looting gangs etc.
6- EM pulse (from a solar flare or nuclear bomb) blows out the electricity grid and electronics, it'll be bad but hopefully the govt will have contingency plans to get relief food and medicine convoys up and running.
7- Mega-earthquake bigger than anything the earth has experienced before, demolishing a whole bunch of cities across countries or continents.
8- Mega-tsunami triggered by gigantic quake at sea, wiping out coastal areas for a hundred miles or more inland.
9- Runaway volcano that carries on spewing out dust and ash for months, throwing a grey wind-carried shroud around the planet blocking out sunlight and triggering subzero temperature drops.
10- Haywire weather (nonstop storms, tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards, floods etc) caused by global warming, pollution, ozone depletion etc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought provoking answer, makes me realize that most of us don't stand a chance if too close to those events

·
Registered
68 Posts
Add in the international things like Isreal being shelled and apparently getting ready to do something about it. Always dangerous when nations with nukes get ready to rumble.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I think the Ghostbusters movie said it best:

Dr. Peter Venkman: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?
Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath of God type stuff.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.
Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!
Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
Mayor: All right, all right! I get the point!

It's the cats and dogs living together that we have to watch out for... :)

Reactions: Rocky and Kadelic

·
Registered
466 Posts
I think a lot of things are coming together right now, just a little at a time. Like boiling the frog in a pot of water. Slowly , something here, something there, adds up over a time, without drawing much alarm. Then one morning, you wake up and realize that it may be too late to react.
Now, if it were a surprise attack from say Iran in the form of a terrriorist delivered nuke by way of a barge or something like that, then you would instantly know it was here, but if the economy continues to collapse, draughts here, prices of course keep going up, un-employment continues to grow, most may not see it until it was far too late .

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Speaking of religion, the USA, Britain and Canada etc are still Christian countries (I think) so as a matter of interest here's the Bibles take on the end of the world-
Jesus said- "There shall be wars, rumours of wars, false christs, earthqakes, famines, persecutions,darkened sun and moon, falling stars,shaken planets.
Pray that this will not take place in winter, because those will be days of distress unequaled from the beginning until now-and never to be equaled again.
Be on guard! Be alert! You do not know when that time will come. What I say to you, I say to everyone: Watch!"- (Mark ch 13)

And this verse knocks on the head all those cultists who like to think they know when the End will be-
Jesus said- "But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."- (Mark 13:30-32)

And here's an optimistic note, there WILL be some survivors..:)
Jesus said- "If the Lord had not cut short those days, no one would survive"- (Mark 13:20)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
[re Disaster List]:Thought provoking answer, makes me realize that most of us don't stand a chance if too close to those events
Survival can never be guaranteed, but by being prepped for it we can at least get the odds in our favour..:)
Right Kid?
"Right"

"Luck is not something you can mention in the presence of self-made men"- E.B.White
"The winds and waves are always on the side of the ablest navigators"- Edward Gibbon
"Luck? I don't know anything about luck. I've never banked on it...Luck to me is something else...realizing what is opportunity and what isn't"- Lucille Ball
"Luck has a peculiar habit of favoring those who don't depend on it"- Anon
"I deserved my good luck" - Margaret Thatcher
"Thanks but no need to wish me luck, I make my own luck"- PoorOldSpike (computer wargame champion)
"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize" (Bible:1 Cor 9:24)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
How will it start? It will start quickly and while we're looking the other way.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
How will it start? It will start quickly and while we're looking the other way.
A surprise nuke attack could catch us napping.
Incidentally, apart from the blast and fireball, this clip also shows how a nuke blast can blow out car ignitions and the power grid at 2 minutes with its EM pulse-

·
Registered
238 Posts
Speaking of religion, the USA, Britain and Canada etc are still Christian countries (I think) so as a matter of interest here's the Bibles take on the end of the world-
Jesus said- "There shall be wars, rumours of wars, false christs, earthqakes, famines, persecutions,darkened sun and moon, falling stars,shaken planets.
Pray that this will not take place in winter, because those will be days of distress unequaled from the beginning until now-and never to be equaled again.
Be on guard! Be alert! You do not know when that time will come. What I say to you, I say to everyone: Watch!"- (Mark ch 13)

And this verse knocks on the head all those cultists who like to think they know when the End will be-
Jesus said- "But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."- (Mark 13:30-32)

And here's an optimistic note, there WILL be some survivors..:)
Jesus said- "If the Lord had not cut short those days, no one would survive"- (Mark 13:20)
That is some pretty powerful stuff...

Reactions: shotlady

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
[re Bibles end of world quotes] That is some pretty powerful stuff...
This verse seems to foretell pollution, the ozone hole (rent), hair loss thru radiation, ultra-violet burning etc-
"And it shall come to pass, that instead of sweet smell there shall be stink; and instead of a girdle a rent; and instead of well set hair baldness; and instead of a stomacher a girding of sackcloth; and burning instead of beauty."(Isaiah 3:24)

The writing's certainly been on the wall long enough and humankind has ignored it-
"The time has come for judging the dead...and for destroying those who destroy the earth" (Revelation 11:18 )

·
Registered
938 Posts
Not too worried about a nuclear attack -- USA has nuclear triad and massive retaliatory capability, and nukes have not been used in war since 1945. Sure, Iran is trying their program, and Pakistan has nukes, but the chances of a nuclear attack in the USA are so remote it is not worth losing sleep over. Dirty bomb is a remote possibility, but the chances are very low, IMHO. The chances these could be used in the Middle East is much higher, just not on our shores. Not planning any trips to the Holy Land anytime soon, in any event. And honestly, if an attack did come, I think I would rather be one of the ones who dies in the conflagration than survive to see the aftermath and what it will bring with it. That's just my point of view, anyway.

Chances of a natural disaster are much higher, witness Superstorm Sandy, along with the usual tornadoes, earthquakes, wildfires, blizzards, droughts - those are worth preparing for.

Food riots, civil insurrections and social upheaval caused by government-mandated austerity programs, resource wars, those are much more real possibilities, and are already occurring. These will be delayed in onset, so time to get ready will be available to those who monitor events.

A sudden spark igniting a tinderbox -- very possible -- particularly if racial tensions are inflamed by the incident(s). Recent history on that is very troubling -- and harder to anticipate.

I just try and stay aware of what is happening locally and globally. You might be able to see a trend developing. But to me, the preps are the same, so I keep doing what I need to do.

·
Registered
436 Posts
In my case I am prepared regardless. With that said it is more than likely due to a natural disaster as food vanishes from the store shelves in about 3 days if transportation comes to an end or can't get to the stores to restock. Be it by volcano, earth quake, solar flare taking out the electrical grid etc. In essence it really doesn't matter if you survive the initial of the problem at that point you need 3 things, water, food and safe shelter. Gold, silver etc will mean nothing if the civilized world stopped quickly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think a slow economic collapse (partial collapse, not total collapse) is the most likely scenario for a large-scale SHTF event.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I think a slow economic collapse (partial collapse, not total collapse) is the most likely scenario for a large-scale SHTF event.
And the most traumatic shocking experience would be for us to go down the bank to draw out our cash, only to find the doors locked in our faces!
It already happens from time to time anyway like here a few years ago but luckily they re-opened after a few days.
But in a time of 'national emergency' the government could close all banks for as long as they like-

"The federal government took control of Pasadena-based IndyMac Bank on Friday in what regulators called the second-largest bank failure in U.S. history.
Citing a massive run on deposits, regulators shut its main branch three hours early, leaving customers stunned and upset. One woman leaned on the locked doors, pleading with an employee inside: "Please, please, I want to take out a portion." All she could do was read a two-page notice taped to the door."

Federal regulators seize crippled IndyMac Bank - Los Angeles Times

This temporary closure happened in Britain-

So how can we prep against it?
Personally I don't have much money anyway but I split it into 3 parts at the bank, in my wallet, and at home. That way if the banks shut, or I get mugged, or my home burns down, I'll always have some to fall back on..:)
(Unless the bank closes and I get mugged and my house burns down all at the same time)

·
Registered
640 Posts
Well... I know who my rich neighbors are and which ones keep cash and food on hand. I'll just go shopping there. :)

·
Registered
936 Posts
I'm more concerned about a financial meltdown like the one that occurred in Germany just after WW I. Hyper inflation and 30-40% unemployment. That would create a lot of desperate people and start a downward spiral that would be difficult to overcome.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts