Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sitting next to me right now is my 9mm. I would prefer to use a shotgun, but I don't want to keep it out when the kids come over. The handgun is much more easy to move around and put up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,829 Posts
I have a 9mm next to me also. I keep the shotgun upstairs. I keep all guns unloaded and I always put them up if I know the grandkids are coming around. yes, I'm that old!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
693 Posts
Glock 27 .40 SW. Have a mag loaded with Magsafe ammo the one that is prefragmented but not supposed to over penetrate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
I live in an apartment, so my weapon of chioce is my 1991A1 colt .45 with HP's or safetyslugs so there will be no over penetration here. keep in mind guys you are responsible for there that bullet goes even after it goes threw the person in your house, there could be children next door.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
I use a glock 23 but also have a youth action 20 ga. pump. My wife and daughter can both use the shotgun and it will get the job done. ::rambo::
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
My beside buddy, beside my wife, is a Mossberg 500 12ga. 5/1 cut down to 18 1/8" loaded with 6 rounds of 00 buckshot. Other "friends" of the family include a Ruger 9mm with a loaded 15 round clip, 6 loaded 15 round standby clips plus 3 loaded 30 round clips. The "kids" are (2) 38cal revolvers, one Colt and one Charter Arms Detective, one 22cal revolver and lastly one 22cal. clip fed rifle. I maintain 1400 rounds of 9mm ammo, 415 rounds of assorted 12ga shells, mostly 00 buck and some birdshot, 400+ rounds 38 special, and somewhere around 1200 rounds 22cal long rifle shells, all stored in a air tight ammo box with several oxygen absorbers just for good measure. I will be adding at least one high power rifle and am in process of researching my future new adoption now.
C5GUY
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,829 Posts
C5GUY said:
My beside buddy, beside my wife, is a Mossberg 500 12ga. 5/1 cut down to 18 1/8" loaded with 6 rounds of 00 buckshot. Other "friends" of the family include a Ruger 9mm with a loaded 15 round clip, 6 loaded 15 round standby clips plus 3 loaded 30 round clips. The "kids" are (2) 38cal revolvers, one Colt and one Charter Arms Detective, one 22cal revolver and lastly one 22cal. clip fed rifle. I maintain 1400 rounds of 9mm ammo, 415 rounds of assorted 12ga shells, mostly 00 buck and some birdshot, 400+ rounds 38 special, and somewhere around 1200 rounds 22cal long rifle shells, all stored in a air tight ammo box with several oxygen absorbers just for good measure. I will be adding at least one high power rifle and am in process of researching my future new adoption now.
C5GUY
::clapping:: ::redsnipe:: ::rambo:: ::saber::

Holy crapola! I'd hate to see what the cousins have!

Picking up a Glock or Springfield XDS 45 here in about a week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
693 Posts
I really want to try an XDS, I loved the XD 9 I shot!
 
  • Like
Reactions: srpumpkin

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
GunsKnivesSurvival said:
I keep a 1911 45ACP handy at home. I'd like to get a full sized 9mm. Maybe a Ruger P95?
Mine is a Ruger P95. Great gun, easy to shoot, easy to break down and clean and not bad to look at. Definitely not a cary piece, too big and too heavy. In the year I have owned mine I have run 100's of rounds through it with not one hiccup. It will eat a 30 round clip for breakfast. ::rambo::
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
C5GUY said:
GunsKnivesSurvival said:
I keep a 1911 45ACP handy at home. I'd like to get a full sized 9mm. Maybe a Ruger P95?
Mine is a Ruger P95. Great gun, easy to shoot, easy to break down and clean and not bad to look at. Definitely not a cary piece, too big and too heavy. In the year I have owned mine I have run 100's of rounds through it with not one hiccup. It will eat a 30 round clip for breakfast. ::rambo::
Cool. Thanks! I found a stainless version for $350 today (I think I can get them to shave a few bucks off that) and I've been agonizing over picking it up. I see nothing but good reviews so far. Do you feel the accuracy is OK?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
GunsKnivesSurvival said:
C5GUY said:
GunsKnivesSurvival said:
I keep a 1911 45ACP handy at home. I'd like to get a full sized 9mm. Maybe a Ruger P95?
Mine is a Ruger P95. Great gun, easy to shoot, easy to break down and clean and not bad to look at. Definitely not a cary piece, too big and too heavy. In the year I have owned mine I have run 100's of rounds through it with not one hiccup. It will eat a 30 round clip for breakfast. ::rambo::
Cool. Thanks! I found a stainless version for $350 today (I think I can get them to shave a few bucks off that) and I've been agonizing over picking it up. I see nothing but good reviews so far. Do you feel the accuracy is OK?
Mine is a brushed nickel but I would have preferred the black version and might even paint mine flat black. Accuracy is on par with any semi-automatic pistol and maybe a little better due to the heft of the gun which makes the shooter hold it tighter. I see these locally for the $275 to $300 range and paid $300 cash for mine from a local.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Ruger SP101 loaded with Federal Premium .357 Mag 130 grain Hydra-Shok JHP's. Sleeps right next to me (even closer than the wife). It has a aftermarket grip (forget which one) which fits my hand like a glove.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
62 Posts
I have always wondered how people can be too lazy to wear their pistol around their homes? This is the only way to both assure that your gun is always within reach, yet secure from unauthorized use/theft. My choice is the same as it is anywhere else, a PF-9 Keltec. The odds are much worse that you won't have any longarm (when you need a gun) than any case wherein a pocket 9mm won't be enough. Just look at the Armed Citizen column of the NRA mag. Only rarely need you fire, much less hit, much less hit vital organs, much less do so repeatedly with a powerful load. Merely the sight of your gun, merely shots fired, mere "peripheral" hits, mere .22lr hits, are almost always adequate. It's far more important that you keep a "mere" pocketgun on your person than to have the power of a rifle or shotgun. You don't answer the door with shotgun in hand. Nor do you mow the lawn that way, nor take out the garbage, attend to the mail or the pets, etc. The pocket pistol, however, can be with you as you do all those things, move room to room, go get something from the car, the storage shed out back, etc. That is worth far more than any perceived "power" or accuracy advantage of any longarm. The reason to settle for a mere handgun level of power and accuracy is its portability, so why leave your pistol lying around?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,074 Posts
Guns are a mystery to me because here in Britain they're virtually banned, but that doesn't seem to stop criminals somehow getting them easily enough, for example 2 unarmed policewomen were gunned down and killed only last week.
Can I ask a couple of questions?
1- I've heard that revolvers are more reliable than automatics because autos are more likely to jam, is that true?
2- Dirty Harry uses a .44 Magnum because of it's fantastic hitting power, so why do people buy smaller-calibre weapons that don't hit so hard?

 
1 - 20 of 102 Posts
Top