Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Handgun caliber and why? I know for me I could go back and forth all day for different reasons and scenarios, but if you could only choose one what would you pick?

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
My favorite is the 357 Mag. because it is adequate for every use that I have for it and I have mastered its use.
I have other calibers from 22 to 45 Colt but the 357 is the best all round pistol caliber for me.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I think this is a moot question... .45 is awesome for what it was made for, .22lr is awesome for what IT was made for, .44 Magnums awesome to! The list goes on and on forever.

While the biggest Grizzly bear ever killed was taken with a .22lr.... I don't know that anybody's gonna say it would be their "favorite" round for hunting them! :D Or anybody with any sense in their heads prefers 500 S&W for hunting squirrel! :D

I think their ALL fun for what their best at!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think this is a moot question... .45 is awesome for what it was made for, .22lr is awesome for what IT was made for, .44 Magnums awesome to! The list goes on and on forever.

While the biggest Grizzly bear ever killed was taken with a .22lr.... I don't know that anybody's gonna say it would be their "favorite" round for hunting them! :D Or anybody with any sense in their heads prefers 500 S&W for hunting squirrel! :D

I think their ALL fun for what their best at!
Good point!

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
38/357

Generally speaking I've shot but don't much care for 44's so the 38/357 is my favorite. Now what I'm about to say probably doesn't resonate and can be duplicated in many other calibers but it just works for me. I have it in nice revolvers, I have it in a nice lever, and I have the ability to pack my hand reloader and take enough extra components out to just keep going. So its my favorite even though its also my second choice in carry. I no longer take it out, and if I do its because I've run out of 9mm or 45 acp and SHTF has really happened in a bad way.

·
Administrator
15,414 Posts
357 magnum, followed closely by the wonderful 45 Colt (in a single action Colt SAA or clone).
I don't try to "magnumize" the 45, I have a 44 mag for that.

Reactions: 71Chevrolet

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Another vote for the .38 /.357 mag I can't think of too many things you can't do with it other rounds may do a particular job better but can't think of another cartridge that does so many things well.

·
Registered
725 Posts
My personal favorite is 45ACP. Large bullet with adequate knockdown power. That being said I must admit that I've compromised with the women folk in the house. They can't handle the 45, so we've added 9mm to the arsenal many moons ago. Still carry my 45, but have a subcompact 9mm when it's hot outside and can't wear a jacket to conceal the 45.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have a pair of 9mm however I'm partial to 45 caliber myself. I have a 1911, 45 Colt, 454 Casull and 45-70 rifle. I also load for them all so I can match the bullet/powder load for each gun. The 454 Casull though is my go to gun for backup hunting with either my 45 colt rifle or 45-70.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
629 44mag 180 gr JHP 31 gr H110 Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Material property Gas Font 5 shots iron sights off hand 25 yards World Astronomical object Circle Tints and shades Space same pic with quarter removed Wood Tints and shades Circle Natural material Carmine same gun 225 yards 10 inch self healing target off of a rest iron sights

Reactions: 71Chevrolet
1 - 20 of 42 Posts