Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mulled this one over for years. I went back and forth between a lot of different rifles. I decided to create a list of things I required in a pure survival rifle. I wanted something light, compact & capable of taking small game to survive on. Well after much thought and going back and forth I decided the best rifle for me is the Ruger 10/22 TD (take down). It fits all the above criteria extremely well. The only area it falls short is as a defensive rifle. But I am never with out a handgun. And if you get a suppressed 10/22 TD it will give you a huge advantage of being able to take small game with out attracting all sorts of attention.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
The 10/22 is an excellent game taker and the best .22lr semi out there right now for the prepper in my opinion. I love mine. It's both reliable and accurate, but I can't overlook the need for defense in survival. These days with such a huge population and the likeliness of someone being drawn to your shot and trying to steal your kill while hunting is pretty big to me. I couldn't have just the 10/22 alone with a pistol. Not by myself anyways. If someone else was there with a defensive rifle than yes, but otherwise no. So taking defense in mind and which works best for my needs, the M1A/M14 is my favorite. There's more ways to obtain food besides shooting it too.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
sweet my total fav would be my 10/22. i just got my son the 10/22 takedown for christmas. i pick it up thursday night. its used so i need to clean it up some! my sig m400 is a bit to heavy to toal be my favorite gun. but its coming with me lol just aint my total fave.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah I have been hit with this question a few times myself. As much as it pains me I would have to say I would bring my AK-47. Its purely for defense and I am not looking to make a sniper shot. I chose this fire arm because it is rugged, pure and simple. In a survival situation there will be times when you may not be able to clean or maintain your weapon depending on your situation. Sinkhole is correct in the aspect that a .22 cal firearm would be perfect for hunting but with the current situation of the world Fuzzee is spot on with his statement about defense. There are far too many people who will be itching to capitalize on your gains and when that happens you are going to need something effective to repel such an attack. And besides you dont have to shoot everything to eat.... fishing and gathering are acceptable as well.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would have to agree in a defensive situation or SHTF situation something larger caliber is needed. I have an AR I built for these situations, and is my got to gun if the SHTF. I probably should have been a lot more clear in my original post. I was thinking in a survival situation as opposed to SHTF situation. You know, like your car breaks down in the middle of now where 50+ miles from the nearest town.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Since I can use my 10/22 to put 3 rounds into a brain-pan at 50 yards before the bad guy can raise his AR...as long as my situational awareness is good...I'm good with my 10/22 for defense too. If your awareness isn't so good...a 40mm grenade launcher won't be a "big enough calibre" gun. The bad guy can sneak up and take you out with a sling-shot...

Keep your tools sharp...and your skills sharper!

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Without any doubt, my 10/22 for the simple reason the lightness and compactness of the 22 lr ammo. YMMV

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
in a survival only situation a 22 cal rifle like a 10-22 is optimal, there other great 22 rifles like marlin 39a carbine that take down also, no mags to loose either.
i personally carry a 94 winchester in 30/30 with sling and 40 rounds of ammo in my jeep as part of my get home bag.
it is light, reasonable stopping power and does not have the stigma of a "black gun".

·
Registered
436 Posts
Mine is a Rossi 92 in 45 colt. Holds 10 rounds loaded to the max and will sure kill a horse on down. No magazines to deal with, light weight and fast to operate as well as accurate out as far as I can shot. Back up is a 12 ga side x side or a 45 ACP which I put on when I dress in the morning and remove when I go to bed at night.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
You know, like your car breaks down in the middle of now where 50+ miles from the nearest town.
With that qualifier Sinkhole, I would have to say that my Ruger Single Six Convertible would probably be the best and most favorite gun of the ones I actually own. Its a right nice little shooting piece that is pretty accurate even with long rifle ammunition and is a straight up tack driver with 22 WRM cylinder and ammunition. Its been a real jewel for me over the years. Its simple, rugged and well built like most Rugers. The ammunition is cheap, compact and comes in a wide variety of loads. I try to keep a number of them with me and the gun. It would be a really tough one to beat!

·
Registered
436 Posts
With that qualifier Sinkhole, I would have to say that my Ruger Single Six Convertible would probably be the best and most favorite gun of the ones I actually own. Its a right nice little shooting piece that is pretty accurate even with long rifle ammunition and is a straight up tack driver with 22 WRM cylinder and ammunition. Its been a real jewel for me over the years. Its simple, rugged and well built like most Rugers. The ammunition is cheap, compact and comes in a wide variety of loads. I try to keep a number of them with me and the gun. It would be a really tough one to beat!
I had one of these for years and gifted it to a son that really had wanted it when he first shot it about 10 years old. Gave it to him when he turned 21. He is now 48 and still has it and shoots it often. I got it as a gift from my grandfather new on my 18th birthday.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I had one of these for years and gifted it to a son that really had wanted it when he first shot it about 10 years old. Gave it to him when he turned 21. He is now 48 and still has it and shoots it often. I got it as a gift from my grandfather new on my 18th birthday.
Yeah they are sure some sweet little handguns. I long ago lost count of the number of bricks I have put througgh mine over the last 25 years or so. I think every survivilst should have one in their collection. Its just good for way too many things you might need to address one day. My only regret is I didnt hold off and order one in Stainless Steel. I bought it while home on leave and didnt wanna wait to order one in so I settled for the blue model thay had on hand.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Whether you are prepping for the zombie apocalypse or the aftermath of a hurricane, self-defense is an important aspect of surviving any disaster. Everyone has their preference as to what qualifies as the best survival weapon. History has proven the rifle to be the best all-purpose firearm to face a variety of combat and self-defense scenarios.However, a rifle should only be part of what many preppers refer to as a layered defense system. It doesn't matter if you are bugging out or sheltering, your need to arm yourself with a variety of weaponry, self-defense skills and training is the same. With that said, if you could have only one firearm in a survival situation it should be a quality rifle.

Read more:The Top 6 Survival Rifles And Why You Need One

·
Registered
11,958 Posts
Now ……James Dome ……..you have another site you want us to look at huh?....Prepper Dome?

·
Registered
11,958 Posts
They don't call me A Watchman for nuttin ....... Mr. dome is making an appearance here this morning with several posts redirecting via links, including an intro..... to his own prepper site ....... Shame , Shame on Mr Dome, even picking out 3 year old threads to match self serving topics.

I gave him proper instructions in his Intro post.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts