·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats your hands down favorite centerfire rifle cartridge and why

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Mine would have to be the .308. Just because I like to shoot long range and have several bolt rifles with bull barrels in that caliber. It is HARD to nail one favorite caliber though. The .22 with a Ruger 10/22 in a bull barrel will shoot excellent along with a 17hmr. The 300 win mag is great for 1000yds plus with GREAT terminal ballistics.. A 300blk with subsonic rounds is a great choice for certain things also. Not to mention a 6.8spc.. There are just so many rounds in different platforms. I'm not sure there is one "perfect" one. Actually, there is not.. My favorite is the .308 probably?!

I am interested to see what the answers to this one is though...

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
7.62x54R

Material property Font Nail Peach Plastic wrap

Surplus ammo is inexpensive, really good ammo is comparable with other ammo, it is ballistically similar to the 30-06, and I really like the guns that shoot them!!!!!

Reactions: BamaBoy101

·
Registered
598 Posts
Not an easy question to answer. But after thinking about it for a bit I realized if I am headed out to hunt I tend to grab my 7mm rem mag. As it can drop just about anything, has a flat shooting high speed built and the kick is not to bad for a magnum. And even during the last bullet run I could find ammo for it. Anther round that has been growing on me is the .243 I picked up a .243 rifle a while back for coyote hunting but it can shoot a 100g bullet that drops most pigs so if I came across some pigs when hunt yotes it would be easy pickings. Its a good round and does not kick too much.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Mine's .308/7.62x51mm. Capable of hitting hard, long range if needed and taking down just about any game in the states, cutting through most body armor like butter, tearing through vehicles, knocking out engine blocks and making most building walls cry for mercy. 7.62x51mm is a NATO standard round used in various incredible rifles like the M14 and G3, and .308 in tons of more like the M40, Rem 700, etc.

Rectangle Font Publication Material property Magenta

·
Senior Member R.I.P.
2,886 Posts
7.62NATO. The round is slightly shorter then the 308WIN. A chamber in 7.62NATO can be chambered for 308WIN but then you get into an issue of powder burn times & pressures. All my main battle rifles including M1 Garands with with new 7.62 barrels shoot th7.62NATO & the bolt action 308WIN rifles will shoot the NATO round.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would have to say .308 Winchester / 7.62 NATO.
Readily available, military cartridge so it will be found if the SHTF, highly effective even at distance, low recoil, very versatile if you reload, will take any North American game, used in short action bolt guns.

·
Administrator
15,411 Posts
30-06 Springfield. America's cartridge for over 100 years. Will kill anything but the largest game. Can be found worldwide.
2nd choice would be the 30-30.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Hands down my favorite is the 30-06. I can go from a 110 gr bullet to shoot varmints to a 220 gr bullet to shoot Grizzly Bears. I load my own rounds and the options/variations of what you can load with this cartridge is awesome.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
30-06 Springfield. America's cartridge for over 100 years. Will kill anything but the largest game. Can be found worldwide.
2nd choice would be the 30-30.
Just a slight correction, there was a African big game hunter in the 20's who used a 30-06 to take elephants and lions. Although I personally wouldn't use it for that, it has been done. That being said, it is an excellent cartridge for any game in North America.

·
Banned
21,290 Posts
Great question and a lot of great answers. My first gun (probably like most of us) was a BB gun, and I loved shooting it. Soon I moved up to a .22lr and loved shooting it. Then as a young teen most people in my area of the south graduated to what we called "deer rifles"...centerfire rifle calibers, .243, .270, 30-06 and I loved shooting them. Didn't think much about the .223/5.56 until I bought my first AR and I really loved shooting it and was amazed at the fun I had with it. When my buddies let me shoot their .308 or 7.62 I loved shooting them. Unlike many of you I don't have military training and I wish I could take a 1000 yard shot and will one day. Would love to shoot the .50 but will probably never own one. Will probably buy a .17 HMR soon and although it is not a centerfire, I think that would be a fun caliber.

So of the centerfire calibers that I own or shoot regularly, the 223/5.56 is probably my favorite. It may be the weapon and magazine options that I like as much as the caliber.

As a side note, my young nephew shot his first centerfire rifle this weekend, .270 Win and the look on his face was fantastic!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
30-06, because nothing beats the reaction of somebody who has never fired one and happens to be standing just to my right as I fire mine. Wide eyed innocence, a new hairdo, and if they've got any gumption it's usually followed by a "you need to let me shoot that next".

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Great question and a lot of great answers. My first gun (probably like most of us) was a BB gun, and I loved shooting it. Soon I moved up to a .22lr and loved shooting it. Then as a young teen most people in my area of the south graduated to what we called "deer rifles"...centerfire rifle calibers, .243, .270, 30-06 and I loved shooting them. Didn't think much about the .223/5.56 until I bought my first AR and I really loved shooting it and was amazed at the fun I had with it. When my buddies let me shoot their .308 or 7.62 I loved shooting them. Unlike many of you I don't have military training and I wish I could take a 1000 yard shot and will one day. Would love to shoot the .50 but will probably never own one. Will probably buy a .17 HMR soon and although it is not a centerfire, I think that would be a fun caliber.

So of the centerfire calibers that I own or shoot regularly, the 223/5.56 is probably my favorite. It may be the weapon and magazine options that I like as much as the caliber.

As a side note, my young nephew shot his first centerfire rifle this weekend, .270 Win and the look on his face was fantastic!
You will LOVE the 17hmr! It is one I usually keep inthe Jeep,truck,tractor well you get the point..lol The 50 is fun to shoot but wouldn't be on the top of my list. Although it is on there lol.. You don't get the same terminal ballistics but the 338 LM and the 300 Norma are great long range calibers that have less recoil than the 50 and not quite so expensive. As for people in the military shooting over 1000 yds. Unless they were a sniper, I doubt they were shooting at a grand. I'm not saying it didn't happen but it sure wasn't a regular thing. I know I never did.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Just planted a huge 9 point on Thanksgiving morning with my 30.06. He went all of 15 feet and dropped. I like alot of rounds but when it's time to get the job done I like my 30.06.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts