Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've giving this a lot of thought lately. If I could only have one revolver in a SHTF situation, what would I want? Well I started weighing my options of all the fine revolvers out there. My list was looking pretty typical Ruger GP100, S&W 686, Colt Pyhton, etc. I wanted something in 357 Magnum, 4"-6" barrel, DA and 6 rounds........(screeching tires) What? Wait! Why the heck would I only want 6 rounds when 8 is soooo much better. So the winner in my book, S&W M&P R8. Cant find a reason to not want it. 8 rounds of 357 Magnum, 5" barrel, relatively light at 36.3 oz., can easily mount a light/laser or optic. The cylinder is cut for moon clips. Win Win in my book. So whats your top pick for a SHTF revolver?

Reactions: shotlady

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Colt Python for that sweet trigger and accuracy. I have been wanting a Smith & Wesson 625 JM for a long time. I think 45 acp on moon clips would be a pretty sweet setup.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Any of the US made 357's a six inch barrel will reach out to some amazing distances

·
Registered
904 Posts
Smith and Wesson Model 60 Pro. 3" barrel, .357 revolver. Stainless steel, 23 ounces, 5 shots, pro factory tuned trigger, chrome lined barrel and tritium from sights. Powerful, accurate, easy to conceal, multiple different round potential from 38 special, 180 gr. hardcast .357 to snake shot. I just picked it up from my FFL and am very happy with it.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I gotta go with my S&W model 327 Nightguard. Lightweight and 8 shots of .357 and a nice speedloader to go with it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am partial to S&W K-Frames. I have a model 64 in 4 inch that would serve me well. I would love to find a model 10 with a 3 inch bull barrel.
If I went with an N-Frame a model 21 in .44 Special would be great!

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I have my dream revolver and I have had it for over forty years. The Ruger Security-Six has had well over 40000 near full house loads through it and it still shoots right where I aim it. I can "target shoot" from a standing position - one arm holding the gun and the other at my side and put five rounds into a one inch dot at twenty-five yards. From a rest I can do the same thing at 50 yards. I can hit an animal the size of a small dog at 100 yards free standing. (I have done it)

On the other hand I can instinctive fire into a four inch circle at 25 feet and shoot five shots (instinctive) heart, left shoulder, right shoulder, head, and heart in under two seconds. I am practicing doing double taps to the head just above the nose.

This is the handgun I carry, competed with in Hunter's Pistol Silhouette, hunted with, practice and plink with. I have never felt under gunned or short on ammo. (I carry 18 - six in the gun and 2 quick loaders)

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Yep! It's not the weapon, it's the shooter that limits the weapons use.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Taurus 7 shot .357 Magnum is my choice, half the price of a smith and very reliable.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Dan Wesson model 15 pistol pack, every barrel length you want or need in a .357 and an almost indestructible pistol.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts