Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to know everybody's opinion, What is the best brand/company for knives (NOT distributor)? Knives that are reasonably priced but durable, good quality, reliable, a large selection to choose from... a brand you trust?

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I am going with Buck. I will admit I am some what of a simpleton when it comes to knifes . If it works don't fix it and I sure not going to over think the issues.
Two of my hard core knife nuts just had a hart attack when I said that.
Buck just works and seems to provide value for your dollar.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Benchmade, Cold Steel, SOG, Spyder co, CRKT and gerber are all are pretty good, just check the steel they used in the blade you are looking at. I used to carry a benchmade with me everywhere, but now carry a Cold Steel blade, as to many people liked my Benchmade and wanted to borrow it, but its my preferred, hunting, hiking, camping blade.

Reactions: Blademaker

·
Registered
855 Posts
Kershaw has lots of models available and stand behind their warranty. I'm pretty abusive on knives, my pocket knives double as screwdrivers, prybars and chisels so it's no surprised that I've broken the tips off a few knives. I recently sent 4 Kershaw pocket knives back for repair and they did an awesome job fixing them, all of them got new speed safe torsion bars (they wear out) 2 got new blades and one got a new blades and lock mechanism. I like my SOG flash II but it's the only SOG I own so I couldn't say if they're all quality knives or not. I'm also a big fan of older Puma, Schrade and Case knives.

-Infidel

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
It depends on your price range. For folding knives I only buy Spyderco and Benchmade these days. I've never had a knife by either that wasn't worth every penny. There are a lot of good fixed blades out there and fixed blades and there blade and handle design cover more exacting tasks. Like a heavy chopping blade being a lousy filet knife. It's not that good for cleaning any game really. You need to decide what you're looking for there. Since this is a prepper forum though and most people are looking for a survival knife, I'll go with some recommendations to the sort. People have their different tastes on it, but I've found over too many years now a 4 to 5 inch blade to be a good general use knife for bushcraft and game cleaning. Not too thick and it will filet fish fine, though fileting fish is more for pretty meals and not for survival cooking. Gut and scale a fish and cook it whole. It eats just fine. I pack and use a Benchmade Nimravus and it's an excellent well made knife in my experience. Which is why I use it, but there are some great choices out there depending on what you want to spend. Right now Knife Center has the SOG Seal Pup on sale for $43.95 and it's a bargain for the price and an excellent choice.

SOG SEAL Pup 4.75" Powder Coated Combo Edge Blade with Nylon Sheath - KnifeCenterf

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Combat Knife Ka Bar D2 Extreme you will be bleeding 5 minutes after you get out of the box
Skinning Knife Anza Knives cant be beat Anza are a bargain for the price made in USA by I believe a former Master Knife Maker for Buck
Pocket Knives Case Buck Kershaw

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but all the name brands are pretty solid.

I think they have learned not to mess with cheap steel.
For the most part. Some still use cheap steel though on certain knives. The cheaper you go, the cheaper you get normally. Lot of people like Gerber knives for example, but there one of the makers I've had the most trouble with in lousy blades that chip and rust too easy. I don't buy them anymore. I recently sharpened a Bear Grylls knife for a friend and was not surprised at how quick it went dull and how tore up it had gotten from his normal use.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Lots of good knife brands mentioned previously. Personally, I am a very large fan of Falkniven knives. I have their F1 which I use extensively on all of my camping and hunting excursions. I have it in a leather sheath with a firesteel and sharpening stone incorporated into the sheath. It has a very good grip on the handle, the blade is around 5" and it is built like a tank. I believe it is the knife used by the Sweedish special forces, but I could be wrong about that.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I know people will disagree with me but I like Gerber and Schrade Old Timer's. Both have surved me well. My old timer I have had for over 20 years and its works just as good as the day I bought it.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
For the most part. Some still use cheap steel though on certain knives. The cheaper you go, the cheaper you get normally. Lot of people like Gerber knives for example, but there one of the makers I've had the most trouble with in lousy blades that chip and rust too easy. I don't buy them anymore. I recently sharpened a Bear Grylls knife for a friend and was not surprised at how quick it went dull and how tore up it had gotten from his normal use.
Fuzzee, the reason that Gerber knives chip and rust so easily is because they are hard steel. They use good steel but that doesn't keep people from prying, chopping and using them for screw drivers. They are made to cut with and they do it very well. They are not for people who do not know how to care for carbon steel knives.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I love my Tree Brand Boker. Has dressed and skinned many deer, has a perfectly angled drop point and holds a fantastic edge that just requires a honing steel or a pass on a fine stone to shave with before every season.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts