Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get in better shape, but I don't have much money for groceries (usually $80 every two weeks) I am going to stop drinking soda and other sugary drinks but I don't know what to buy that will last a full two weeks. And I'm not a very good cook, ok I suck at cooking. any tips or info?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Agreed. Fruits and veggies are usually cheap and ready to eat. YUM. Celery and PB for a snack.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Shop the perimeter of the store and stay off the isles where the "food like stuff" (garbage) is at. The perimeter has fresh fruits, veggies, dairy products and fresh meats. Not much processed crap there. Learn to cook from scratch. Do this and you can eat quiet a bit and eat very well and slowly drop off a pound or two a week and not really feel like your dieting. It just basically comes down to eating good wholesome food again.

You can buy a 2 lbs bag of carrots for just a couple of bucks. A large bundle of Celery is just a buck. Green Beans to steam are less than a buck a pound. Buy the family packs of chicken breast for 2.09 a lbs here. Buy a head of lettice instead of buying the cute little dainty bags of leaf lettice. You get a hell of a lot more for your dollar!!! For 20 bucks you can buy a 20 lbs bag of beans, for a couple bucks more some ham hocks or salt pork to season it up. for 49 cents you can make a pan of corn bread to go with it. Beans are awesome when left over and reheated a couple of times! Grab a apple or a pear instead of chips. Eat some strawberries or grapes instead of cookies and cakes when you need a little snack. We didn't have a lot of fat and unhealthy people back in the 50's, 60's and 70's because we didnt have all this processed garbage that comes in a box that you just microwave. We ate REAL food back then!

I eat a lot of salads, stir frys, Chicken Breast and steamed veggies. These are all quick meals if you process the veggies on the week ends so that you can just grab a bit of this and a bit of that and slap a good meal together with what every you have. That makes meal prep during the weekdays a breeze and minimizes dish washing and clean up. Im lazy so I am all about that shit!!! I didn't have to starve or feel hungry either. I just don't eat until my eye balls are about ready to pop out. I lost 65 lbs in 13 months this way and I have easily kept it off to boot too!

It aint rocket science Bro, its all about getting back to basics!

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
It must be nice to live in TX; that celery in California is $2, those carrots are $3 and those green beans 1.99 pound - at Costco. Best thing is to grow most of your own.

$80 every two weeks. Costco has an 8 or 10lb Quaker Oatmeal container for $10 and I suspect that will handle breakfast for you for more than a few weeks. You also score 6 large bags of pasta at Costco for $7.49 plus 8 cans of decent soup for $10. Those cans of soup witha quarter of a bag of pasta are a nice meal - thinking lunch type meal. Hence those pasta bags would maake for 24 meal additions - more than a few weeks.

I'd strive, seriously strive, to save up $50 for a large 42lb bucket of rice. You'd probably take 6 months or so to eat through that a half cup at a time. It will seriously stretch all your other meals out a great deal. I am also fond of a 388 serving veggie stew they sell at Costco by mail order - I think about $60? That's probably 2 years worth - remember a serving isn't much so you'll probably eat 3 or 4 at a time. All you need to do is add meat and you can buy the most affordable meats to add to that.

Can you hunt? Pig, Turkey, Geese are all good this time of year. I'd suggest the later two if you aren't familiar with butchering and have the space to freeze added meats.

Shop the perimeter of the store and stay off the isles where the "food like stuff" (garbage) is at. The perimeter has fresh fruits, veggies, dairy products and fresh meats. Not much processed crap there. Learn to cook from scratch. Do this and you can eat quiet a bit and eat very well and slowly drop off a pound or two a week and not really feel like your dieting. It just basically comes down to eating good wholesome food again.

You can buy a 2 lbs bag of carrots for just a couple of bucks. A large bundle of Celery is just a buck. Green Beans to steam are less than a buck a pound. Buy the family packs of chicken breast for 2.09 a lbs here. Buy a head of lettice instead of buying the cute little dainty bags of leaf lettice. You get a hell of a lot more for your dollar!!! For 20 bucks you can buy a 20 lbs bag of beans, for a couple bucks more some ham hocks or salt pork to season it up. for 49 cents you can make a pan of corn bread to go with it. Beans are awesome when left over and reheated a couple of times! Grab a apple or a pear instead of chips. Eat some strawberries or grapes instead of cookies and cakes when you need a little snack. We didn't have a lot of fat and unhealthy people back in the 50's, 60's and 70's because we didnt have all this processed garbage that comes in a box that you just microwave. We ate REAL food back then!

I eat a lot of salads, stir frys, Chicken Breast and steamed veggies. These are all quick meals if you process the veggies on the week ends so that you can just grab a bit of this and a bit of that and slap a good meal together with what every you have. That makes meal prep during the weekdays a breeze and minimizes dish washing and clean up. Im lazy so I am all about that shit!!! I didn't have to starve or feel hungry either. I just don't eat until my eye balls are about ready to pop out. I lost 65 lbs in 13 months this way and I have easily kept it off to boot too!

It aint rocket science Bro, its all about getting back to basics!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will have to try these suggestions, I do have a crockpot that is where the most of my "healthy meals" come from. I don't really have a problem with cravings, I can and have conquered them before just need to be willing to cook and stop being lazy when It comes to preparing meals.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
BTW I had turkey for Thanksgiving. I'm still having turkey this week. I don't know what he weighed but the cost was about .12 since the freekin 22LR prices soared and that's what the bullet costs to replace.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Invest in a good beginning cook book. I like cook books because I can write in the margins. Or start collecting easy recipes off the internet. There are a lot of "budget" menus out there.

·
Premium Member
4,932 Posts
Reactions: MrsInor

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Get a couple of teenagers they will eat you out of house and home and stand in front of the refrig with the door open looking at it like a deer in the headlights for hrs on end like something that doesn't that actually need to be cooked may actually mysteriously materialize.

Reactions: taps50 and Slippy

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Yeah I am that jack ass that right after thanksgiving when Turkeys are on sale for pennys on the dollar buying 6 or so of them to put in the freezer. I do the same thing with Hams after Christmas and easter sunday too. And after Labor day and memorial day and 4th of July I am the clown buy 4-5 Briskets to turn into hamburger meat and stew meat for stew and stir frys the rest of the year. Get a cheap freezer from walmart and you can do the same thing too and get your meat for a fraction of what it would cost to buy a few pounds here and there weekly at the store. Stores will often have loss leader sales where family sized porkchops are on sale for about half price and I will buy several packs to eat over the next couple of months. If you shop some place where they have a butcher at the meat market unlike walmart, they will often grind u a roast that's on sale or brisket that's on sale for just 10-15 cents a pound extra and you will get leaner ground meat that you can usually buy. They will also wrap it for you on 1S or 2S trays for you as well so that its in meal size portions. You cant beat that. Then there are times through out the year that Strawberries are on sale...clean house, wash and freeze them and stack it deep. They are great in smoothies and pancakes! When apples are on sale in 5 and 10 lbs bags I will buy several and dry or freeze them for use later. Dehydrtaed apple slices are good snacks, dried apples are great in oatmeal for breakfast or home made trail mix that you snack on instead of chips and dip.

Crockpots are awesome. Every kitchen should have a couple and they should be used. You can make some great cheap meals that can cook while your at work and be ready to serve when you get home. A wok with metal steamer baskets are another thing every kitchen should have. With these two kitchen marvels there is a near endless list of things you can cook in them and serve up something different every day of the week. Learn to run your kitchen instead of letting your kitchen run you! You can save time on food prep, clean up afterwards and still eat like a King!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im going to start looking for sales, but when it comes to meat I am in a good position. I work security for a meat factory, and I can get people to buy me meat at cost. I am unable to hunt this year but next year I will definitely start. The only problem with buying in bulk for the freezer is that I live in an apartment and don't have much (if any) room for a freezer. Can you freeze apples? If so I will have to stock up on them, I love apples but I don't get them often because I live alone and if I buy a bag they usually go bad before I can eat them all, I hate to waste money.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
A third of calories are usually taken in by what you drink. Switch to water,unsweet tea and crystal light. Try to start gworing as many veggies as you can to help save money. Oatmeal was suggested earlier and is filling,pretty cheap and good for you. Try to stick with ckicken,fish and the cheaper lean cuts of beef. They are usually tougher but cook em low and slow and you will be surprised how good even the cheap cuts can be. Be sure to exercise! A lot of people think if they cut back on calories they can be lazy. Make sure you work out. Some cardio and weight training. Weight training will BURN calories like crazy, It will help build muscle which looks good and could help out in a shtf scenario if you needed a little more strength to do something. It is all about diet and exercise!! There are no miracle pills or anything but can can take supplements. Go for a cheap whey protein and eat lots of egg whites when ya can. I am lucky, we have plenty of chickens and get over a dozen eggs a day and I eat about every one of them daily.. Also look into a good eca stack Ephedrine/caffeine/asprin It is cheap and will help raise your metabolism and burn fat. Something as easy as a bc powder or 2 which has the asprin and caffeine and then an ephedrine pill that can be bought in a lot of pharmacies,truck stops and grocery stores. Don't get the fake ones, make sure it is real ephedrine.. If you are interested in that anyway.. But diet and exercise

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I have said this before and saying it again, Coupon, Coupon and more Coupons.
I was never one for coupons. Actuall, I refused to use them up until about 5-7 years ago. Now I am the one asking my fiance if she has them when we leave for the store. It just AMAZES me how much you can save when you use them!! If you get a reward card from the store it can help even more. There are times when we save 40-50% on our bill. And we spend quite a bit on food.. I have always liked to eat good so I don't mind spending on groceries. It is nice to be able to know you saved a lot because you spent the time to use coupons.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Diet alone won't put you in better shape. Try walking start with 15min and work to 30 min every day but weekends. Then push it to 2 miles under 30 min. Do that religiously and you'd be surprised. Then you can eat what you want... Within reason of course.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.