Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You are in a different part of the house when you hear a crash and your spouse yell out.

When you enter the room the bad guy is using your spouse as a human shield and is armed....

He yells at you to drop your weapon or he will kill your spouse ....

It's your move.....

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I would be looking for a shovel because my fiance is usually armed and keeps a weapon or two in every room in the house and a few places outside.. If it came to the situation you are talking about. I too would start the negotiation process until the right moment. Then go for the head shot as soon as I could. I am no expert but usually when someone is using someone as a shield. They have no intentions of shooting that person. They just don't want to get shot themselves. You would be able to tell in very short order what kind of person you are dealing with. Then a DRT round to the head and it's all over.. NEVER give up your own weapon!!!

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
It is reasonable to assume the hostage taker doesn't want to shoot the hostage, but it's a bad thing to make that assumption. A better assumption, and the assumption you must make, is that both you and the hostage will be dead if you give up your weapon. Assume everything he says is nothing but a lie, and say what it takes to drag the situation out as long as possible. You'll fair well if you've kissed the Blarney Stone, but you'll not do anyone any good if you get full of anger and make ultimatums. Don't take away his hope for escape, don't make him a cornered rat.

Do you have blue guns and friends who are willing to role-play? It'll help you get a picture from both sides.

Great thread, Paul! Something we all need to think about.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I would take the shot. I have trained fro that type of shot my career both on the range and on the F.A.T.S machine and other scenario based training aids. I believe training would take over and I could make the shot.
Very true. It also depends on training. If someone is an "average" marksman. I don't think they should be taking a head shot next to a loved ones head. Unless it was a last resort or something. That is why I say train,train and then train some more. It should become muscle memory!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Give the ball to him with no choice. He/she/it/other/insert your own either lets the lady go or they(bad guys) die on the spot---guaranteed they won't leave the room alive if they don't, all the while holding a steady bead on his/her/it's/other/insert own- fore heard. Count to three to yourself and, BANG. Pick a shoulder if necessary. Either you and the lady are OK or you're the only one standing. You didn't make the choice---he did.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Very true. It also depends on training. If someone is an "average" marksman. I don't think they should be taking a head shot next to a loved ones head. Unless it was a last resort or something. That is why I say train,train and then train some more. It should become muscle memory!!
People do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the lowest point in their training.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Give the ball to him with no choice. He/she/it/other/insert your own either lets the lady go or they(bad guys) die on the spot---guaranteed they won't leave the room alive if they don't, all the while holding a steady bead on his/her/it's/other/insert own- fore heard. Count to three to yourself and, BANG. Pick a shoulder if necessary. Either you and the lady are OK or you're the only one standing. You didn't make the choice---he did.
well said and welcome.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It is reasonable to assume the hostage taker doesn't want to shoot the hostage, but it's a bad thing to make that assumption. A better assumption, and the assumption you must make, is that both you and the hostage will be dead if you give up your weapon. Assume everything he says is nothing but a lie, and say what it takes to drag the situation out as long as possible. You'll fair well if you've kissed the Blarney Stone, but you'll not do anyone any good if you get full of anger and make ultimatums. Don't take away his hope for escape, don't make him a cornered rat.

Do you have blue guns and friends who are willing to role-play? It'll help you get a picture from both sides.

Great thread, Paul! Something we all need to think about.
Make the time as short as possible---cause indecision on his part, don't give him time to think. This is where a low caliber weapon is best for you. He has to keep his face exposed to look forward---you got him. No need to break the lady's ear drums unless necessary.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I would apply the same verbiage others here mentioned. In doing so I'd move forward slightly every few seconds to have a 10-15 foot max shot. Basically if he doesn't realize the only way for him to live is to surrender by the time I've moved in close enough my dear wife knows to collapse when I give her that look and then I shoot repeatedly up until the threat is eliminated.

·
Super Moderator
9,216 Posts
First of all wife is better shot, so I wouldn't be too worried if it was me being held. But we agreed on, "You have five seconds to let her go, one, two (on two the hostage collapses)" and the one with the gun opens fire.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Under no circumstances give up your weapon and trust on the mercy of someone who broke into your home and is holding your wife hostage...there is no mercy in him. Start talking to him. Tell him that if HE drops his gun you will let him go. When it appears that he is relaxing even a bit, while you are talking to him, pull the trigger in the middle of a sentence. Just remember, you may be risking you wife's safety by pulling the trigger but not nearly as much as you would if you didn't.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Death by S&W 629 180 gr JHP 31 Gr h110 1700fps Id make a canoe out of his head World Circle Font Tints and shades Wood
Automotive lighting Material property Gas Circle Font

Reactions: dwight55

·
Registered
991 Posts
You are in a different part of the house when you hear a crash and your spouse yell out.

When you enter the room the bad guy is using your spouse as a human shield and is armed....

He yells at you to drop your weapon or he will kill your spouse ....

It's your move.....
I think you should never give up your gun. Chances are you'll both be dead if you do.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.