Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, a little background.. We prep. We are in a hurricane area so my risk/impact/likihood is hurricanes and that's what we prepare for. The next is financial collapse. My wife and I were going through a few scenarios and I asked her "what would you do if you woke up tomorrow and there was no power... Nada, period..

I got a blanks stare then she started with things that would require energy.. I said nope.. No energy, no electric, no cars or truck or phones, none. No electric at all. She asked how long.. A few days like a hurricane? I told her at least a year. That started a very different conversation and included the causes from an EMP to a solar flare.

We plan based upon risk.. Likelihood and impact. Obviously hurricanes are high for us, EMP is low but impact is off the charts.

So to open the conversation, how do you prepare based on risk or do you? What thought process do you go through since you can't prepare for everything? What are your scenarios?

·
Super Moderator
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Our hurricane prep is three fold. The first is that we stay and just lose power for a week or so. The second is that we evacuate to a hotel or friends ( we make reservations as soon as a storm is in the gulf) and come back to a damaged house without power, but habitable. Figure power will be out for weeks or more. The last is that we come back to a destroyed house. We refuse to go to a government run shelter and would basically set up camp on our property.

In all cases the boat may or may not make it. It went through Ike without a scratch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am not in a prepper family but we are planning (at least I am) an insulated shipping container bunker that will protect all of our electronics as those are most commonly used for shipping sensitive electronics. I would find this useful as if we needed to we could have an underground garage that would protect all automobiles and such. Also we could very well have a tech room like a 10x10 army container for computers (not for the internet as it would be down). I will see if I can come up with a blueprint and post it on this thread later.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I plan around it as I can. I know one for sure. A year or even half a year without power in America on that level would leave a trail of dead bodies in it's wake. 90% of the population would likely not survive as there simply isn't the resources to feed and keep them alive. Plus the number that will simply turn to crime and find themselves shot dead. The first as many people have analized the situation would be the weak, old, very young and sick. Many people are kept alize by medications and full/part time medical care. Without it you can say goodbye to them. The ghetto will probably set itself on fire like normal in outcry about no one taking care of them and burn up. The rest will die by fire from people guns defending themselves from the animals. It won't be a fun filled time for sure but there's still the part of me that wishes it would happen so we could burn off some of the dead weight and have a stronger society afterwards.

·
Super Moderator
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice bunker layout. Good questions about the air.

But, I don't think I could get it by my home owners association... ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I plan around it as I can. I know one for sure. A year or even half a year without power in America on that level would leave a trail of dead bodies in it's wake. 90% of the population would likely not survive as there simply isn't the resources to feed and keep them alive. Plus the number that will simply turn to crime and find themselves shot dead. The first as many people have analized the situation would be the weak, old, very young and sick. Many people are kept alize by medications and full/part time medical care. Without it you can say goodbye to them. The ghetto will probably set itself on fire like normal in outcry about no one taking care of them and burn up. The rest will die by fire from people guns defending themselves from the animals. It won't be a fun filled time for sure but there's still the part of me that wishes it would happen so we could burn off some of the dead weight and have a stronger society afterwards.
Yeah, a year or more without electric or power, mean no grocery stores, no gas, no med, and on and on. Your right about the % dead over time. Given what you laid out, protection will be key in order to keep what you have. And just as important is teaming with others to survive. Loners won't make it. That's been proven in other parts of the world.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts