Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just getting started on prepping and I live in a decently sized city. I don't have much in the way of supplies yet so I am wondering what I should do if there is something like an EMP before I can get my stuff together.

I know I should fill up containers, tubs, and sinks, with as much water as I can before the water runs out. And hit up a store and buy as much supplies as I can, but what about after that?

If I start running low on food and water should I go to the hills? I camped a few times before, but I never tried living off the land or anything.

I live with my parents and have a 17 yo older sister and two younger brothers. One of them is 13 and the other is nine. I am a fifteen, almost sixteen, year old male. I am the only one in my family in decent shape.

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
First, welcome to the forum.

Secondly, your question would correctly be answered by writing a book. Really, there is A LOT involved. Read some posts here on EMP using the search function, and I'm sure they will serve as an introduction to your inquiries. It's good that you are thinking about such problems.

Again, glad to have you on board.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Some of your sequence is out of order. When an event occurs, everyone rushes the grocery store. So, you should start putting supplies in before something happens. If you're the only one in good shape, a lot of responsibility may get dumped on your shoulders. Good for you for taking steps to ensure your family's safety.
And not just EMP, but natural disasters, fires, etc need to be thought of. Is your family on board with this, or are you the only one considering prepping right now?
The answer could change how we on the forum answer your questions. A man prepping to take care of a family that is not involved brings about special challenges, particularly if you are not the "breadwinner".

Reactions: acidMia and wnlee04

·
Banned
23,899 Posts
What to do is answered when you think about all the things that will go offline after something like an EMP strike occurs.

Obviously, electricity goes out. What all goes out with electricity?

With the ensuing chaos, what trucker would even try to enter the cities - assuming the trucks still run?

How many hours after the occurrence would the stores be stripped clean?

How long would it take before rogues began entering homes in search of food?

·
Super Moderator
9,718 Posts
@sideKahr pretty much summed it up. There may be much you don't know but that's why you are here, to learn. Lots of good info here and around the net. You just need to seek it out.

The main thing to do in that situation is keep a clear head, stay calm and think. If you run low on food running to the hills will do nothing but place you in the hills with no food. You'll need to learn about foraging and making traps.

Don't let it overwhelm you, we all started somewhere.

Sent from a Galaxy S5 far far away.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Welcome aboard.

First I applaud you at such an early age recognizing that you have to prepare for disasters in life, acts of nature or man made. sideKahr is right, there is a tremendous amount of information on this site and all over the net.

But in a few words here are the basics, shelter, water, food, and then someway to defend it all against those folks who did not prepare.

I can understand cost with someone your age, as suggestion here is a system you might try. If you are food shopping with your parents, if they pickup a can of soup ask if you can buy one more of the same thing, once you are home put that extra can somewhere where you are building up your supplies. Granted, that may take awhile but it is better than nothing and if you get just a few things per trip the folks should not gripe at that too much. If you have a part time job or collecting bottles and cans to turn in, you could use some of those funds to buy items other than food, like first aid supplies. Again it won't be easy but you will be amazed how much you can collect by following these few steps.

Bugging out or staying put is another entire story, so much depends on an individuals situation, no one answer fits everyone's circumstance. Camping skills are always good. Since "living off the land" would probably not suit you or your family right now just focus on obtaining the supplies you need to keep everyone fed and hydrated.

Now having something to defend what you have is a completely different subject. You will have to discuss that with you parents.

Good luck to you.

·
Banned
20,845 Posts
I am just getting started on prepping and I live in a decently sized city. I don't have much in the way of supplies yet so I am wondering what I should do if there is something like an EMP before I can get my stuff together.

I know I should fill up containers, tubs, and sinks, with as much water as I can before the water runs out. And hit up a store and buy as much supplies as I can, but what about after that?

If I start running low on food and water should I go to the hills? I camped a few times before, but I never tried living off the land or anything.

I live with my parents and have a 17 yo older sister and two younger brothers. One of them is 13 and the other is nine. I am a fifteen, almost sixteen, year old male. I am the only one in my family in decent shape.
First off, get in better shape. Your almost 16, you ought to be in great shape.

If an EMP hits, leave the city with some supplies to get yourself to farm land. Find a farmer who is in need of a strong back and weak minded young person. Get a job with farmer and learn some self-sustainability lessons.

Good luck!:vs_wave:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Are you in a big city, small town, rural, suburban much depends on where you are. Take baby steps and learn as much as you can from this forum and other sources. Most of us here are preparing for any type of event from fires and hurricanes to a total government meltdown. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst, except we don't worry about Sasquatch, because no one believes he really exsists

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Do any of us truly exist? Or are we just figments of each other's collective imagination?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
First off, get in better shape. Your almost 16, you ought to be in great shape.

If an EMP hits, leave the city with some supplies to get yourself to farm land. Find a farmer who is in need of a strong back and weak minded young person. Get a job with farmer and learn some self-sustainability lessons.

Good luck!:vs_wave:
Almosthuman -
Now you may think ol slippy messing with you and giving you grief with his reply.
What it is actually is a nice cool drink of bitter reality - If you have no supplies, no skills, and no self protection, guess what? You will end up someones bitch. So will mom sis and lil bro. If you don't want that to happen take action now.
Given your age you're probably still in school, have no job for money, and can't purchase a fire arm legally. These are big disadvantages for you but not the end of the world. YOU can still build a skill set. You tube is full of great how to videos on survival and survival skills. Get busy right now, I mean today learning to build fire, shelter, navigate by stars or fixed landmarks, harvest wild edibles, etc. The list is endless and its free.
Next is to start talking to mom or whoever does the shopping about buying some extras each trip to the store. Lay in extra dry goods such as beans, rice, pasta, powdered milk, flour, corn meal. These items are cheap and easily stored and will keep you butt alive if SHTF.
If the whole family is on board it will be easier, if not then you have your work cut out for you. Either way congratulations it seems that the scales have been removed from your eyes and your seeing the world for what it really is and not what TPTB want you to think it is.

·
Super Moderator
9,718 Posts
Do any of us truly exist? Or are we just figments of each other's collective imagination?
I exist! And therefore I am.

Sent from a Galaxy S5 far far away.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Almosthuman -
Now you may think ol slippy messing with you and giving you grief with his reply.
What it is actually is a nice cool drink of bitter reality - If you have no supplies, no skills, and no self protection, guess what? You will end up someones bitch. So will mom sis and lil bro. If you don't want that to happen take action now.
Given your age you're probably still in school, have no job for money, and can't purchase a fire arm legally. These are big disadvantages for you but not the end of the world. YOU can still build a skill set. You tube is full of great how to videos on survival and survival skills. Get busy right now, I mean today learning to build fire, shelter, navigate by stars or fixed landmarks, harvest wild edibles, etc. The list is endless and its free.
Next is to start talking to mom or whoever does the shopping about buying some extras each trip to the store. Lay in extra dry goods such as beans, rice, pasta, powdered milk, flour, corn meal. These items are cheap and easily stored and will keep you butt alive if SHTF.
If the whole family is on board it will be easier, if not then you have your work cut out for you. Either way congratulations it seems that the scales have been removed from your eyes and your seeing the world for what it really is and not what TPTB want you to think it is.
"You will end up someones bitch. So will mom sis and lil bro."
That's why I want to get prepared. I've been watching riot videos a lot from natural disasters and that just make me wonder how bad it would get if there is no one to keep order, and if things aren't solved soon.

My dad does own a firearm, and I practiced with it some while camping though I am not the best shot, and I lack practice. My dad was in the marines and had some training, but he isn't in good shape anymore. He have some permanent injures with the nerves in his arms and something is wrong with his back.

I haven't talked to my family about prepping yet, but I suppose I should.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Much depends on how responsive your family is to prepping. I'm on my phone and can't post links. Go to ready.gov and the Red Cross sights and read about the bare minimum in prepping. Maybe leave the page open on the family computer, accidently on purpose, so others can read it and maybe become interested. Anyway, it's a way to get a conversation started.

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
I will speak for me...

I would guess I am in Pittsburgh for some stupid reason (dropping off stinking dead fish, I mean relative at air port) - 102 miles from my house.

#1. get anything from vehicle that I did not want to loss. #1a- chamber a round and check safety
#2. walk to nearest store and trade/barter/buy some water and energy bars - I carry cash and some silver with me always.
#3 start walking until I can maybe barter for a bicycle

get home

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
must first ask yourself if you are willing to leave your family and go it alone.. if that is out of the question and they aren't on board or prepped.. you will all only last as long as you have water.. or as long as somebody who is out of water wants yours.. Godspeed my young apprentice!

·
Retired Moderator
3,060 Posts
Almosthuman -
In addition to the above you could print the information below and tell your Mom and Dad that the government suggests you keep extra food and water.
http://www.fema.gov/pdf/library/f&web.pdf

No, I don't like FEMA but the average person will do what the government suggests and it might make it easier for Almost Human to talk to them without them thinking he is wearing a tin foil hat.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In addition to the above you could print the information below and tell your Mom and Dad that the government suggests you keep extra food and water.
http://www.fema.gov/pdf/library/f&web.pdf

No, I don't like FEMA but the average person will do what the government suggests and it might make it easier for Almost Human to talk to them without them thinking he is wearing a tin foil hat.
Oh, thank you. I didn't know about this. I don't know if it would convince them, but it would certainly give me an excuse to talk to them about it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
must first ask yourself if you are willing to leave your family and go it alone.. if that is out of the question and they aren't on board or prepped.. you will all only last as long as you have water.. or as long as somebody who is out of water wants yours.. Godspeed my young apprentice!
You are kidding, right? Even if it means dying of dehydration or worse I wouldn't abandon them. I mean what kind of sick bastard wouldn't do everything in their power to keep their family alive and well?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts