Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is quite a hot topic in the US at the moment, gun control and limitations becoming a rage happy discussion. When rights are taken away, it's rarely something that is agreed upon with smiles and hand shakes. However as a resident of the UK, gun control is taken to extremes, to the point where even owning a fake gun that is unable to fire can get you arrested merely for keeping it in your own household out of sight of anybody. At least without the proper licences and various hoops which are not simple steps for more than the majority of the people who live here, acquiring any type of legitimate firearm is beyond difficult. I'm sure this to any gun owning American sounds like a travesty, I feel that way as somebody who has travelled and been able to fire guns without problems in other countries.

The difficulty in acquiring a weapon legally is why I'm asking, what would you do if you find yourself unarmed, or more specifically disarmed of handguns and rifles. I have no intention of staying in the UK long term, however for the moment I feel heavily exposed without any kind of way to defend myself should SHTF. Barring your ammo and your guns, which I hear often when listening to American preppers, what other weapons do you have or would you rely on if you did not have your firearms?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
It's hard to really say what I'd do because if I was unarmed it would mean I was dead as I can't see ever actively turning in my guns for a tyrannical government. It's the opposite of freedom and I'd rather fight for that vital freedom and die than live without it.

I guess if I was in your spot currently I'd find what weapons I could like a good knife, bow and study martial arts religiously.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's hard to really say what I'd do because if I was unarmed it would mean I was dead as I can't see ever actively turning in my guns for a tyrannical government. It's the opposite of freedom and I'd rather fight for that vital freedom and die than live without it.

I guess if I was in your spot currently I'd find what weapons I could like a good knife, bow and study martial arts religiously.
Absolutely. You can't beat a good bow as a ranged weapon, and you can never forget about a great blade. Heck, even learning to accurately THROW that great blade could help if even a little. And if you top it off with a ridiculous combination of training and exercise, you should have a substantial alternative to a boomstick ::rambo::

·
Super Moderator
9,043 Posts
At my age, I'd have to go to a crossbow. Not a bad thought, maybe I should invest now, in case I run out of ammo.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'd wake up because I must be dreaming if I didn't have my gun.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
OK, You can't be disarmed. In half an hour I can throw together a 12 gauge shotgun, or a 45 caliber pistol or rifle, a 410 shotgun or a cannon, all of which could be lethal.
They would be single shot and very crude guns but it is easy to make them from gas or water pipe and fittings. If you couldn't get cartridges you could use them as breach loading guns and use match heads for powder and primer.
Cross bows are easy to make from car leaf springs and a 2x6 and they can be pretty and deadly. A "standard" long bow is more difficult to make and takes more time so it really isn't worth doing - and it take a good dealof practice to get good at. A spear gun (for under-water fishing) can be made from house-hold products and rubber tubing or an old tire tube. Grenades (sort of) can be made from large diameter pipe and match heads. Knives can be made from scrap files or railroad spikes, glass from non-tempered windows or even bone. An atladl (throwing dart) can be made from any hardwood and can be lethal to about 50 yards. A branch or sapling from a hardwood tree can be made into a fighting staff or a pike if you put a sharpened piece of pipe at the end. There is no limit to what you can build if you stop and think about what you have on hand and what you want. You can combine three house-hold chemicals and make a nerve gas that will kill - just stay down wind of it! You can get potasium nitrate from urine (it takes a lot of urine) and mix it with sugar to make propellant for rockets or cannons. Any fuel can be mixed styrofoam to make a napalm substitute and put into a garden sprayer with a burn cup to make a flame thrower device.
In the garden you have a pitch fork and a hoe. Make a fire and straighten the tines on the pitch fork for a spear and rebend the hoe to make a fighting axe.
Some of these thing could be illegal so check your local laws but if you are in a SHTF situation and the laws no longer apply then these things could save your life.

Reactions: JPARIZ and Fuzzee

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
...as a resident of the UK, gun control is taken to extremes..
I've lived in England all my life and have never owned a gun but it don't bother me much because hardly anybody else owns one either, so it'll be a a level playing field when SHTF..:)
Anybody can legally get a gun in Britain by simply joining a gun club and firing club weapons on the club range for a "probationary period" of at least 3 months, then apply to the police for a firearms licence which will allow you to buy your own gun.
The only snag is that if you've got the slightest blemish on your character in any way shape or form, the cops will refuse to grant you a licence at their discretion.
For example even a parking ticket or jaywalking might go against you.
Me, I onced served 3 months jail on a vigilante rap so no f*****g way hozay would I ever be granted a licence if i applied for one, so when SHTF my armoury will consist of just a few knives, sharp sticks and cricket bats, at least they never jam, misfire or run out of ammo..:)

"Okay Buzz show us what you got!"

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
I agree with Fuzzee and Jpariz. That's what I was thinking.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Unless hell freezes solid 6 feet deep and the Ice Capades are skating on top of it, . . . I'll be armed.

It may not be my choice of weaponry, . . . but I will be armed with something.

Being disarmed is being bait or prey, . . . neither which I will do willingly.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
This has been on my mind a lot lately. My wife and I just booked tickets to Ireland. We'll be flying to Ireland in October of this year and staying for about 10 days. That will be 10 days I won't be able to "bug out," or obtain any of my firearms. I am pretty sure I can't take one with me to Dublin or Belfast. I dare say I can't even take a good knife, but I'm thinking I can put one in checked baggage - I'll have to check? I was even thinking of mailing myself one of my knives to the hotel of my first nights stay and then just ship it home - yeah ok I'm paranoid. I'm already having edginess over missing my Kimber 1911 9mm.

This is quite a hot topic in the US at the moment, gun control and limitations becoming a rage happy discussion. When rights are taken away, it's rarely something that is agreed upon with smiles and hand shakes. However as a resident of the UK, gun control is taken to extremes, to the point where even owning a fake gun that is unable to fire can get you arrested merely for keeping it in your own household out of sight of anybody. At least without the proper licences and various hoops which are not simple steps for more than the majority of the people who live here, acquiring any type of legitimate firearm is beyond difficult. I'm sure this to any gun owning American sounds like a travesty, I feel that way as somebody who has travelled and been able to fire guns without problems in other countries.

The difficulty in acquiring a weapon legally is why I'm asking, what would you do if you find yourself unarmed, or more specifically disarmed of handguns and rifles. I have no intention of staying in the UK long term, however for the moment I feel heavily exposed without any kind of way to defend myself should SHTF. Barring your ammo and your guns, which I hear often when listening to American preppers, what other weapons do you have or would you rely on if you did not have your firearms?

·
Registered
938 Posts
I have an ASP collapsible baton, with a glass breaker tip and leverage cap.

Beats looking for a big rock any day....

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I will not be giving up my weapons, I will hide them, I will hide but I will not be fully disamed.

Reactions: Fuzzee

·
Registered
54 Posts
There are a lot of good responses here a lot that I agree with, personally, I have trained in martial arts and love to shoot and always have a gun with me, Except for certain times. Our instructor always taught us to be aware of our surroundings and be aware of what others were doing. Not having a gun does not make you any less able to protect yourself, there are ways to do this and I I don't mean with with flying side kicks or MMA style fighting. My suggestion would be to learn something along the lines of traditional jujitsu or Krav Maga. Strictly used for self defense and protectioni without weapons mostly. There that's my two cents.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
This has been on my mind a lot lately. My wife and I just booked tickets to Ireland. We'll be flying to Ireland in October of this year and staying for about 10 days. That will be 10 days I won't be able to "bug out," or obtain any of my firearms. I am pretty sure I can't take one with me to Dublin or Belfast. I dare say I can't even take a good knife, but I'm thinking I can put one in checked baggage - I'll have to check? I was even thinking of mailing myself one of my knives to the hotel of my first nights stay and then just ship it home - yeah ok I'm paranoid. I'm already having edginess over missing my Kimber 1911 9mm.
I travel a lot for business - usually 30-40 weeks per year. When I am in a city like NYC or San Francisco where I am unsure of the laws related to carrying a knife or pepper spray, I carry a small pocket sized Surefire flashlight. It puts out something around 500-600 Lumens and and is small enough to fit in my front pocket. It was not cheap - around $170. But, if I find myself in a difficult situation, I figure it is bright enough to momentarily blind an attacker and buy me a half-second or so to get away (or get defensive). I did notice that S & W now make one with a strobe option as well.

I realize it is FAR from an optimal solution. But, I know it is legal everywhere and it may provide me with just enough of a window to get away. It is also heavy enough that it could be used as a last-resort defensive weapon in a pinch.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not so sure it will be a level playing field here Jim as the criminals certainly still have them illegally.

Only trouble is we law abiding citizens no longer have a right to own, carry, handguns or defend ourselves, family, property, since the legislation rushed through after Dunblane on the back of public emotion and sentiment.

Unfortunately the Firearms Amendment Act(s) have proved strikingly ineffective. They didn't stop the Cumbrian shooting only 2½ years ago. Even the police were unarmed and all they could do was follow as the body count mounted.

Since the ban on handguns came in our violent crime rate, and burglaries have shot right up exponentially year after year, because they largely know now that practically nobody will be able to defend themselves. The victim is always seen as the criminal, not the criminal.

The exact same thing happened in Australia as well since their ban on guns. In just the first 12 months since their gun controls came in, in Victoria alone homicides with firearms were up 322%. The media in Australia and the UK doesn't like reporting on things like this, or teenage gangs in South London with Mac-10 sub-machine guns, or school kids at railway stations in Manchester with AK-47's.

I firmly believe it will get a lot worse and will come to the point where they will simply have to repeal the Firearms Amendment Act and allow law abiding people to once again bear arms as per their common law rights.

Until then, and while the law is still an ass, we have to make do with the reasonable force we have and hope we stand a chance if ever facing a knife or gun.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Great suggestion Inor! And you certainly don't want one of those strike bezels in your face either on the tactical ones that the likes of Surefire and Fenix etc make.

·
Registered
938 Posts
There are a lot of good responses here a lot that I agree with, personally, I have trained in martial arts and love to shoot and always have a gun with me, Except for certain times. Our instructor always taught us to be aware of our surroundings and be aware of what others were doing. Not having a gun does not make you any less able to protect yourself, there are ways to do this and I I don't mean with with flying side kicks or MMA style fighting. My suggestion would be to learn something along the lines of traditional jujitsu or Krav Maga. Strictly used for self defense and protectioni without weapons mostly. There that's my two cents.
I took jujitsu (jui-jitsu) when I was a boy, from ten to fourteen years old. I was a green belt in the junior ranks. I quit when I moved to California; the Asian guys I met were much more advanced, and I decided to move on to learning edged weapons instead. I still know all the throws and moves, and I have had to use them more than once in my adult life. The last guy I threw I knocked unconscious (he attacked me, and I reverse rolled with him and slammed him into the floor face first...lights out in London) so I am confident I can handle one or two guys if they are also unarmed. But with the legal liability that comes once you become an adult, it really is not worth it in the end. I'm a big guy, most people leave me alone, unless they are drunk, or they are bigger than me.

Now, I am always armed. When I travel, I put a Leatherman in my checked bag. I have only used it to open beer bottles and tighten my eyeglasses, but it is much better than bare hands.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I would take an awareness course,right now... Dont know if tey are available there...But I would.
Then I would take an edged weapon class, prob krav maga..I dont know if its spelled right, I just know I wanna learn all the strikes...and weapons offensive and defensive.
The whole time I would have a baseball bat and glove and ball in my car/truck...
i would look into bows and crossbows...If i understand correctly, even hi-powered air rifles are taboo there? THere are some air rifles out there right now that can kill coyotees, If you were to hit someone in the eye...
Practise, Practise, and when your done practising, practise some more...
And like SSGT says, whatever you do, dont stop fighting..........If your gonna die, die fighting and biting, not kneeling and begging...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts