Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
141 - 160 of 2606 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Work's been slow this week so I put some time in working around the property this week.

Planted apples, pears, and grapes. The deer have been tearing up my young peach and nectarine trees so I put 5' tall wire fences around all of my younger trees and secured them with T-posts.
I plan on putting a 20' tall oak tree (36" root ball) in to shade part of the house on Friday (I'll need help with that one). The house already has 2 carefully placed mature trees to keep it mostly shaded in the summer but there is one wall that really gets heated by the sun and I intend to fix that problem but it may take a few years for the new tree to grow larger.

Installed a much more efficient wood stove yesterday with better stove pipe to minimize fire concerns. It's a Hearthstone soapstone stove. Since it is so airtight I hope it will keep my house from smelling like a fire pit through the winter. Ran it last night; it's a much more gentle heat than my huge old steel stove put out and more than twice as efficient so less wood needed.

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
Went to the gun show last week with a wad of c-notes for the purpose of buying an AK. Been itchin' for one for quite a while so I've been saving up the egg and paper-route money. Had a short list of what I was looking for and the first one I spotted was on the list: a Norinco MAK90. BAM! Mine. $625 cash.

As I'm filling out the paperwork, the dealer says there's an issue with my DL. It expired the freaking day before. He says it's not valid for ID any more and needs something else with my ugly mug on it. I don't have anything. So he starts on this long tirade about how I can go to a gun show in two weeks 250 miles away and pick it up, or one in a month that's 325 miles up the road. Screw that! I tell 'im to just trot it down to another vendor and swap copies of your FFLs. They'll be at the local gun show next weekend!

So tonight (after spending all day Tuesday getting my DL renewed..... no thanks to Patty and Thelma) I go to pick it up. Of course, I don't make a beeline to the dealer as I don't want to carry it around whilst I peruse all the other tables. But holy crap! Things got real expensive in the past week. I spotted two others that were almost $300 more!!!!!!

Makes me happy to score a deal like that!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Stocking the freezer.
Very productive evening I kept hearing what I thought was Turkey in the corn but did not have clear view so wend and sat in some tall grass sun to my back and facing the corn not more than 10 min this big boy walked out 25 yards away never even looked at me.

The whole time I was sitting on the ground my oldest daughter was texting me that she had shot a doe and she was asking what to do she was exited for her first deer. After a little tracking she recovered it. So I got to walk her through the first gut. This was a great day and taking home a good amount of food this will take the pressure off me for gun season for sure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
Stocking the freezer.
Very productive evening I kept hearing what I thought was Turkey in the corn but did not have clear view so wend and sat in some tall grass sun to my back and facing the corn not more than 10 min this big boy walked out 25 yards away never even looked at me.

The whole time I was sitting on the ground my oldest daughter was texting me that she had shot a doe and she was asking what to do she was exited for her first deer. After a little tracking she recovered it. So I got to walk her through the first gut. This was a great day and taking home a good amount of food this will take the pressure off me for gun season for sure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Awesome job. I have never been bow hunting. Need to give it a shot one day maybe.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
We tested them in real time. Power out at 0530. Mother in laws house and ours about 1,000 customers. Not to cold but started fire right away had generators ready. Fire up Mother in laws. Now have mine going that is how I am here now. Estimates are total outage will be 6 hours or so. 10 year old grandson went right to action when it went out . that is always cool to see.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Went to the gun show last week with a wad of c-notes for the purpose of buying an AK. Been itchin' for one for quite a while so I've been saving up the egg and paper-route money. Had a short list of what I was looking for and the first one I spotted was on the list: a Norinco MAK90. BAM! Mine. $625 cash.

As I'm filling out the paperwork, the dealer says there's an issue with my DL. It expired the freaking day before. He says it's not valid for ID any more and needs something else with my ugly mug on it. I don't have anything. So he starts on this long tirade about how I can go to a gun show in two weeks 250 miles away and pick it up, or one in a month that's 325 miles up the road. Screw that! I tell 'im to just trot it down to another vendor and swap copies of your FFLs. They'll be at the local gun show next weekend!

So tonight (after spending all day Tuesday getting my DL renewed..... no thanks to Patty and Thelma) I go to pick it up. Of course, I don't make a beeline to the dealer as I don't want to carry it around whilst I peruse all the other tables. But holy crap! Things got real expensive in the past week. I spotted two others that were almost $300 more!!!!!!

Makes me happy to score a deal like that!
I remember when they were $139.00 and some ammo tossed in. Yes I picked up a few extras. Take care of it it will serve you well. If you don't have one get a sight adjustment tool. The wood has been known to break if abused.

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
I remember when they were $139.00 and some ammo tossed in. Yes I picked up a few extras. Take care of it it will serve you well. If you don't have one get a sight adjustment tool. The wood has been known to break if abused.
I remember 29¢/gallon gas and 6¢ first class postage. :armata_PDT_14:

Took it to the range this morning and managed to make it go 'boom' between the raindrops. Performed perfectly even with the super-cheap steel-case ammo. Didn't bother trying to zero it as the rain would have ruined that idea. That's for another day.... I just wanted to check it for proper bang-switch operation.

I plan on swapping out the furniture back to the classic wood stuff.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Power has been back on for some time. I just kept fire going, I do enjoy burning wood.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Yavanna, as you know, most of us are ruled by the minions of the Democratic Politburo. Oh, the Cossack horses are nice, and the new uniforms are more from the Romanov era, but pretty snazzy.

I bring this up because the area in which I live does not permit foliage or firewood to be transported from one area to another. We had a bad bug infestation and all "invasive" trees were cut down. Strangely, the Romanovs dispensed quick just to foreign trees, just not foreign people. We think Anastasia is drinking again.

Do you have similar limits in your area?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yavanna, as you know, most of us are ruled by the minions of the Democratic Politburo. Oh, the Cossack horses are nice, and the new uniforms are more from the Romanov era, but pretty snazzy.

I bring this up because the area in which I live does not permit foliage or firewood to be transported from one area to another. We had a bad bug infestation and all "invasive" trees were cut down. Strangely, the Romanovs dispensed quick just to foreign trees, just not foreign people. We think Anastasia is drinking again.

Do you have similar limits in your area?
nope, there it is only limitation if you bring seeds or plants from abroad. Please note that this only works if you bring them with you on a plane. People buy plant seeds from Aliexpress, and it passes customs ( when it should be destroyed, since noone knows what kind of pest it could be). Most people that plant those seed report that " only grass" sprouted.
As far as plants go, you can take a saplimg with you anywhere. And it was in my neighbourhood, so it should be fine.
I have gotten myself raspberries the other day, as well as pitanga ( a native tree) and some medicinal plants around here 😉

·
Registered
319 Posts
These are some eating plants I got from around here. Mostly they grow wildly in unnocupied land. I even got a big aloe vera plant the other day. In the bucket there it is a small avocado tree .

141 - 160 of 2606 Posts