Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 40 of 2606 Posts

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
Got tired of going on a Search & Destroy mission every time I needed the Fenix FD40s I have in both my pickup and van. I decided to solve that problem. Stopped by the hardware store on the way home and picked up a couple broom-handle clips. Bolted them to the drinkholders.

View attachment 82037

Now my flashlights are secured down tight and won't roll around taking corners, or hop around on rough roads. Plus ready and at-hand at a moments' notice!

View attachment 82039

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Loaded a box of +P 38 LSWHP ammo and shot it in my new Rossi .357.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Today is the second day of cutting up downed trees from the massive thunderstorm we had. It's the third day of no power.

It's getting really old.

The great thing is having a generator that is awesome. I really have to work on getting a transfer switch now. Extension cords suck.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
This followed me home yesterday, since I am off for 4 days I think some range time may be in order.

View attachment 82059

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Ordered 200' of 550, 100 black, 100 charcoal from boredparacord on sale.
If you need 550 cord keep an eye on eBay. I just ordered 1250'(I think) and payed about $40.00 for the spool.

Compared to buying 50' Hanks from Walmart for the imitation cord, a much better deal for the USGI.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
If you need 550 cord keep an eye on eBay. I just ordered 1250'(I think) and payed about $40.00 for the spool.

Compared to buying 50' Hanks from Walmart for the imitation cord, a much better deal for the USGI.

Hell of a deal.

I got some Tough Grid brand off Amazon a while back that is good quality, but again $14-16 per 100' for 550, and they also carry 750.

Reactions: bsemler

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Been working 60 hour weeks for a while and just banked another 60 hour week. I work manual labor job for the most part now except when I’m training people. Then you get to make other people suffer lol.

Today I bought some 5 gallon water cans. Water is my focus right now mostly with canned food right beside it.

Reactions: bsemler

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
How many bathtubs in your house? One, or two?

Fill one of them and cover it as one of the first moves after you can get to it, if the water is still on. If not, isolate the hot water heater. It's always full of potable water, and there are valves already on it that isolate it.

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
........... If not, isolate the hot water heater. It's always full of potable water, and there are valves already on it that isolate it.
I'd say only 20-30% of the water heaters (not 'hot water heaters'.... why do you need to heat hot water?) in my area don't have valves on the inlet and outlets.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Some days I'd wake up with a headache, and I knew I'd have to do one of two things before I felt better: get out in the left lane of I-5 and coast along three miles an hour below the limit until six different car flashed their lights at me, or get the plumber on the phone and fire him.

And I was usually too busy to drive that far down I-5.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Today I am looking into some books about medicinal plants, as I intend to improve my collection of such plants. I will plant as many as possible in pots, when I get to buy some land in the countryside, I will move them there. Same goes to non conventional eatable plants. This would be a long term investment, many of those plants you can get for free or gather on the wild, but it does take time. In case shit does not hit the fan, I will have a country house with a very nice garden someday 😉

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Box of .357 Ammo for newest revolver in the clan

RAdio and reloading dies came in yesterday

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Staying informed, and not letting the BS get to me. That keeps a clear head and ready for what comes next.

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
Bought a new war wagon 6 months ago (used cargo van for work), and it came with an inverter already installed. However, I could never get power out of it. So I decided to tackle the issue today. Either get it working, or install the one I took out of my previous van.

There was a device next to the battery that I could hear a servo motor running when I grounded it with the engine running and when I shut the engine off. So I assumed that was some sort of voltage sensor that detected higher voltage of the alternator and would send power on to the inverter. Logically, this would only allow the inverter to be powered with the engine running to prevent a dead battery. However, I couldn't get 12 volts downstream from that, so I took it out of the circuit. I landed the battery cable that went to it right to the 150a fuse that fed the inverter.

That got the inverter to actually turn on! However, no power out. Hmm. Press the 'reset' button on the GFCI and BINGO! I has electrickery!

Now to decide whether I want to leave it as is (it's a 1000w run 2000w surge) since it's a pure sine wave, and put my 2000/4000 in my pickup (modified sine wave), or still proceed with swapping the van's inverter out with my old one and have the PSW one in my pick-em-up. Either way, the work van is gonna eventually get in isolator and a second battery dedicated to the inverter.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
@Jammer, I should give you the number for my plumber. Recently found one that is top notch, responsive, preemptive and reasonably priced.

When I'm slogging down I-5 with him on the phone were getting things done.

·
Super Moderator
9,440 Posts
I'd say only 20-30% of the water heaters (not 'hot water heaters'.... why do you need to heat hot water?) in my area don't have valves on the inlet and outlets.
Since I live in southern AZ, for about 6 months of the year I have a water heater, during the other 6 months of the year,
I have a "hot water" heater. Last months gas bill was $13. We rarely use "heated" water for washing clothes since the
water temp averages about 100F. The biggest use of "heated" is bathing and dish washing.

21 - 40 of 2606 Posts