Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
2661 - 2680 of 2681 Posts

· Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
11,230 Posts
It sealed up a Cheeto bag quite nicely.
However, being the "compact" model, it's limited to the 8" bags/rolls only. I'll have to keep an eye out. Only saw the 11" rolls in stock.

· Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I've never seen the canisters labeled as refillable before. What's the difference between these and the 1lb green ones for camping? I feel stupid asking but I'd really like to know. I'm wondering if I need a few of these for myself or if the regular green ones will do.
The refillable bottles have a specific vent needle valve designed for re-use. It operates with an Allen key. The cheapo green bottles vent thru a bicycle type valve that is a pain to use and frequently leaks on re-use.

· Registered
414 Posts
Sam's club had some good deals yesterday on chicken breasts, ground beef and leftover Christmas hams. We vac bagged most of it for the freezer but some of the ground beef is headed to the dehydrator for 'cheater' jerky.

I can't count the jerky as a prep though, ...between me and the dog it'll be gone in a few days ;)

· Registered
379 Posts
Stocked up on booze today. Not for drinking.. for barter, sterilization, cleaning etc.
Kind of a wives' tale Mate, for the most part, unless you are using grain alcohol, sterilization isn't going to happen as you need between 70%-90% for that to occur.

Preps:
I ordered form Amazon a 100 pack of AAA batteries, and a 48 pack of AA batteries. I have a bunch of never used AA rechargeable batteries & chargers but bought these for when I can't recharge the rechargeables.

These batteries were ordered after I went through my entire home and replaced all the batteries in my survival gear, and Home Theatre remote controls, and for the record, I have a crap load of remotes. Ironically, I own 2, all in one Universal Radio Shack remote controls, that not only do IR, sonic remotes, but it also has a learn feature where u put your oem remote facing this one and the RS remote learns all the codes.

Checked all the expiration dates on all of my food products too, and rotated the food to have the ones with the closest expiration dates up in front of the storage racks so I use them 1st.

I have a neighbor who is a Mathematics college professor who is kind of a reverse Prepper. He regularly goes through his inventory and either throws out or donates stuff he "thinks" he no longer needs. After showing me his Vintage Jeep pickup truck that he just rebuilt, I asked to see the motor, so he drove his truck out but his winch snagged on a rope that was attached to his shelving unit which tore 1/2 it down.

After grabbing my tools, I headed back to his garage to tear apart the broken section of the shelving unit. After I was done helping him, he mentioned that he is going to go through his rolling multi-shelf toolbox and that he was going to set aside all the tools he thinks he no longer needs and giving me 1st crack to take anything I like. Truth be told, some 90 % of all my tools are geared towards Household repairs or computers & electronics, and the tools he is offering me is automotive, so I am counting this as a prep of the day, as these tools he is giving me costs a pretty penny.

Oh & he is also giving me some of his previous years Graduate Math books. Some of the books will merely be refreshers for me of the grad courses taken, while the rest will allow me to further my knowledge of Graduate lvl mathematics. For all u guys out there asking why the books, for me math is pleasure reading, what can I say I am a 3.141592653 hole when it comes to learning new things.

· Registered
414 Posts
but some of the ground beef is headed to the dehydrator for 'cheater' jerky.
I got about 3lbs of jerky out of the dehydrator last night (1.5lbs red chili, 1.5lbs green chili and about 1/4lb of unflavored "decoy jerky" for the dog). I'll vacuum bag a pound of each for the freezer and eat the rest.

When I handle this stuff my dog watches me like I'm de-arming a bomb...
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Wood Ingredient

· Registered
10,591 Posts
Kind of a wives' tale Mate, for the most part, unless you are using grain alcohol, sterilization isn't going to happen as you need between 70%-90% for that to occur....
Well, you know what they say about the word assume?

· Registered
10,591 Posts
lol ok ok u got me there, in my neck of the woods you can't get grain alcohol due to it being banned in NY. Only had it once in my lifetime, at a Fraternity party that I supposedly went to, least so I was told, would explain the hangover.
Let's just say I did get some you wouldn't want to (or shouldn't) drink. :whistle:

· Registered
379 Posts
Let's just say I did get some you wouldn't want to (or shouldn't) drink. :whistle:
I will surely take your word for it. I remember in college, (being part Irish, Scottish, Canadian but mostly Russian descendance mind you) out drinking the entire football team, but that frat party with the grain alcohol fruit punch, Holy [email protected]#$ that knocked my pants off and threw me on my ash.

Oh, talking about hoochie:

"TO the Guy that used a bear bottle as a urinal & then placed it on top of the park's dining table, I HATE YOU, & you owe me $8 for mouthwash!"

· Registered
355 Posts
I will surely take your word for it. I remember in college, (being part Irish, Scottish, Canadian but mostly Russian descendance mind you) out drinking the entire football team, but that frat party with the grain alcohol fruit punch, Holy [email protected]#$ that knocked my pants off and threw me on my ash.

Oh, talking about hoochie:

"TO the Guy that used a bear bottle as a urinal & then placed it on top of the park's dining table, I HATE YOU, & you owe me $8 for mouthwash!"
I consider myself lucky, my beer can only had a cigarette butt in it.

· Registered
379 Posts
I consider myself lucky, my beer can only had a cigarette butt in it.
The beer bottle on the picnic table is a joke I had written for an article a ways back. It is one of the few jokes that I had written that I repeatedly laugh at when I read.

Truth be told, I am not a beer drinker at all, although I do drink Stouts like Guiness, but that joke wouldn't work if I mentioned it was a Guiness bottle

· Registered
379 Posts
THis is my 3rd attempt for getting a Lifestraw water filter straw. Bought one during black Friday, but that one had been delivered with the seal to the container open, I was assured that there was nothing wrong with it, and it did appear unused, just the seal was broken, but they told me they were sending me another one regardless.

That replacement has been stuck in limbo since Dec 27th, so I contacted them again and they mailed the Lifestraw and according to my tracking number it has shipped & arriving today.

I want to point out that this company gives a child the means to have clear treated water for one year for each of the products they sell. When they mailed me my replacement, it was an order placed with the price adjusted to zero, including free shipping. It turns out that even replacements count towards their promotion on giving a child clean drinkable water for one year.

Although this has been a real pain in the A$$ to get this replacement, I am going to be ending up with 2 Lifestraws and my turmoil has a beautiful light at the end of the tunnel, as now 3 children will have drinkable water in a 3rd world country. Even the Lifestraw that got lost in transit, counts for the free Lifestraw for a child for a year. Least this turmoil benefits children, so I am still very happy with this company and their products.

Next prep I contacted Stanley Tools for a warranty replacement of my Staple gun that broke yesterday. Sent them an email, and photos of the staple gun, hope this goes more smoothly than the other company I delt with, hmm don't think they are going to send some 3rd world child a staple gun and staples though lol.

My neighbor gave me this week a brand new dough cutter, which I am going to utilize as a BBQ grill scrapper and burger flipper, and I am going to sharpen it today as part of my preps.

I am also going to search the internet for a musical instrument that I could play when the electricity is gone. I have a few wind instruments, pan flute, recorder flute, ocarina flute, but now I am looking for percussion & string instruments. Debating between harpsichord, lyre, harp, and or hang drum.

· Registered
46 Posts
THis is my 3rd attempt for getting a Lifestraw water filter straw. Bought one during black Friday, but that one had been delivered with the seal to the container open, I was assured that there was nothing wrong with it, and it did appear unused, just the seal was broken, but they told me they were sending me another one regardless.

That replacement has been stuck in limbo since Dec 27th, so I contacted them again and they mailed the Lifestraw and according to my tracking number it has shipped & arriving today.

I want to point out that this company gives a child the means to have clear treated water for one year for each of the products they sell. When they mailed me my replacement, it was an order placed with the price adjusted to zero, including free shipping. It turns out that even replacements count towards their promotion on giving a child clean drinkable water for one year.

Although this has been a real pain in the A$$ to get this replacement, I am going to be ending up with 2 Lifestraws and my turmoil has a beautiful light at the end of the tunnel, as now 3 children will have drinkable water in a 3rd world country. Even the Lifestraw that got lost in transit, counts for the free Lifestraw for a child for a year. Least this turmoil benefits children, so I am still very happy with this company and their products.

Next prep I contacted Stanley Tools for a warranty replacement of my Staple gun that broke yesterday. Sent them an email, and photos of the staple gun, hope this goes more smoothly than the other company I delt with, hmm don't think they are going to send some 3rd world child a staple gun and staples though lol.

My neighbor gave me this week a brand new dough cutter, which I am going to utilize as a BBQ grill scrapper and burger flipper, and I am going to sharpen it today as part of my preps.

I am also going to search the internet for a musical instrument that I could play when the electricity is gone. I have a few wind instruments, pan flute, recorder flute, ocarina flute, but now I am looking for percussion & string instruments. Debating between harpsichord, lyre, harp, and or hang drum.
I wouldn't mind hearing your review of the Lifestraw(s) if you're up for giving one after you try it out. I'm curious about real world use and durability and how effective it is with crud water

· Registered
379 Posts
I wouldn't mind hearing your review of the Lifestraw(s) if you're up for giving one after you try it out. I'm curious about real world use and durability and how effective it is with crud water
Well OD, you are in luck, as I bought this gadget for two reasons, the obvious, a prep/survival gear piece, & 2nd, I am a Freelance Gear Reviewer and will be using this on an upcoming "gear review".

I will tell you what I have learned so far. This Lifestraw has a nice feature of being able to be used with a regular water bottle's 'thread' or with a garden hose. You fill the water bottle with the 'questionable' water and either using gravity or using your hands to cause pressure on the water bottle, squeezing the impure water through this LifeStraw.

Surprisingly, there is not much murky waters in my area, so I will be using a food coloring dye to test this device. As both a Survivalist (not prepper), and a Freelance Gear Reviewer and professional Outdoor Survival writer leads to this following suggestion:

I strongly suggest purchasing a pre-water filter for any and all water purification devices/gadgets. It is not so much needed for the "effectiveness" but for the "functionality" of the filters. Adding a prefilter to any water purification filter system will greatly extend the life of the product, and will reduce the time to clean your water filter system.

THis LifeStraw has an infinite storage lifespan if not used, and has the ability to be used over 5 years daily for all of one's water intake, which I also found impressive.

the following photo was taken from their website.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

I will add further information when I have time to truly test the capabilities of the little gadget.

UPDATE:

I just got an email this morning, turns out the 2nd LifeStraw that seemed to have been lost in 'transit' Limbo since Dec 27 is now arriving today by 8 pm, as I have recieved the 3rd shipped replacement LifeStraw earlier this week. This means I will have a total of 3 LifeStraw for the cost of 1/2 of a single LifeStraw product (original was bought on Black Friday Sale)

This of course benefits the customer, but also tells a story of how this Pandemic is greatly affecting E-Commerce. Miscommunications, warehouse issues, shipping mix-ups, all of which is affecting companies bottom line profits.

Current cost of the LifeStraw Peak series water purification filter sale price is $24.99 + tax & shipping.
Price Reviewer paid is $15.97 including tax & shipping.

· Registered
46 Posts
Well OD, you are in luck, as I bought this gadget for two reasons, the obvious, a prep/survival gear piece, & 2nd, I am a Freelance Gear Reviewer and will be using this on an upcoming "gear review".

I will tell you what I have learned so far. This Lifestraw has a nice feature of being able to be used with a regular water bottle's 'thread' or with a garden hose. You fill the water bottle with the 'questionable' water and either using gravity or using your hands to cause pressure on the water bottle, squeezing the impure water through this LifeStraw.

Surprisingly, there is not much murky waters in my area, so I will be using a food coloring dye to test this device. As both a Survivalist (not prepper), and a Freelance Gear Reviewer and professional Outdoor Survival writer leads to this following suggestion:

I strongly suggest purchasing a pre-water filter for any and all water purification devices/gadgets. It is not so much needed for the "effectiveness" but for the "functionality" of the filters. Adding a prefilter to any water purification filter system will greatly extend the life of the product, and will reduce the time to clean your water filter system.

THis LifeStraw has an infinite storage lifespan if not used, and has the ability to be used over 5 years daily for all of one's water intake, which I also found impressive.

the following photo was taken from their website.

View attachment 115162

I will add further information when I have time to truly test the capabilities of the little gadget.

UPDATE:

I just got an email this morning, turns out the 2nd LifeStraw that seemed to have been lost in 'transit' Limbo since Dec 27 is now arriving today by 8 pm, as I have recieved the 3rd shipped replacement LifeStraw earlier this week. This means I will have a total of 3 LifeStraw for the cost of 1/2 of a single LifeStraw product (original was bought on Black Friday Sale)

This of course benefits the customer, but also tells a story of how this Pandemic is greatly affecting E-Commerce. Miscommunications, warehouse issues, shipping mix-ups, all of which is affecting companies bottom line profits.

Current cost of the LifeStraw Peak series water purification filter sale price is $24.99 + tax & shipping.
Price Reviewer paid is $15.97 including tax & shipping.
I can't wait to read your review on them! I've heard of using dye in the water to test the Berkey type filters and I'm familiar with the concept. Testing different methods of pre-filtering would be useful too but I know that isn't what you set out to do.

· Registered
379 Posts
I can't wait to read your review on them! I've heard of using dye in the water to test the Berkey type filters and I'm familiar with the concept. Testing different methods of pre-filtering would be useful too but I know that isn't what you set out to do.
Many years ago, I was professionally trained in water purification for a job I was doing, it was 8 hours a day for a couple of weeks. Dye, & vinegar were some of the few things used to simulate color & taste in the final product. My favorite thing we used was a reverse osmosis w/UV system.

Just for people to copy for informative purposes.

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Software

· Registered
10,591 Posts
Dropped the 6tb HDD I had installed in my old security camera system into my new NVR. Raises my existing 18.52tb to 23.68. Have 11 cameras installed now, with 5 more arriving soon. When all 16 are up and running, I should be able to have at least four weeks of recording capacity even with all cameras running at 4k, highest image quality and bit rate.

· Registered
379 Posts
Drove to a different city where Liquor tax is much cheaper & they also give me $10 off a case of wine, and $20-$30 off each year via membership. Bought a month's worth of wine, and a couple months' worth of good Ol' Hoochie.

Made a huge bottle of Spiced rum with star anise, cloves, cinnamon, vanilla bean, & sugar.

Brought a universal one size fits all socket and a couple of socket wrenches, and my new Peak Series LifeStraw and took it to my truck and packed one in my toolbox, other in my BoB, just hope I put the right item in the right location lol.

Downloaded 2 free Audio books, Fred Saberhagen's "1st Book of Swords", & his "3rd Book of Swords". (Fiction- Greek/Roman Mythology based.)

Downloaded some free "How To" Kindle books, and college course curriculum books.

Made arrangements to pick up from a neighbor, a college math professor, some of his previous advanced course math & physics books (graduate level) for some pleasure reading. (ok so maybe I am not the life of a party)

Also just finished sharpening my kitchen cutlery knives, and next will be my German poultry shears and herb shears, which personally I find to be a real pain in the @$$ to sharpen.

2661 - 2680 of 2681 Posts