Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
2521 - 2540 of 2566 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
I spent the afternoon working on repairs to the soon to be "Rabbit Barn". They're temporarily housed in one of the garages and I'm ready to try and get them moved out. The barn is pretty rough and neglected but it's starting to take shape. I squared it back on the concrete pad as it had moved 8 inches one direction and about 4 another, and no longer fully sat on concrete. Then I cut out the old damaged rotted wall on one end, installed an actual header for the door opening since there wasn't one and rebuilt the one wall.

Todays portion of the project was rebuilding the other side and sheeting the wall on the exterior and started installing siding. Other than the boards for the header, everything has been scavenged for free. A good friend has supplied me with 2x4s (they're used for seperating sheet metal on shipments to his work and normally get thrown away). The epoxy coated screws and plywood were from disassembly of shipping crates at work, and the siding is a stack of 5.5" wide wooden fence planks that some one had replaced. 75% of the fence was still good so I picked up a pickup load for free awhile back. With the price of lumber. This project would've been outrageously expensive, but so far has cost me about $40.

·
Registered
Bugging IN
105 Posts
@KellyDude. If it is available in your area, consider using mushroom mulch or mushroom compost. I use it 100% without any dirt. I get excellent results!
Ha -thanks, Chiefstar - I just picked up worm casings and fish fertilizer for the first time in my life (and it was snowing). I was pleasantly surprised this $16 soil tester has 10 full tests' worth of materials (I thought it was a one-time deal)
These are gonna be $100 tomatoes but I'm jazzed about a new hobby 😊

·
Registered
202 Posts
I filled two 5 gallon gas cans and topped off my spare car, it took 2.8 gallons (Car has only been driven 60 miles in 8 months) basically it holds extra fuel if needed for the Generator. Also added Stabil to the gas.

Bought Green Giant canned veggies $1 a can hasn't been this cheap for a while, 50% less salt diced tomatoes, soup bean mix and refried beans.....total of 30 cans and 5 lbs of soup bean mix o add to supplies.

·
Registered
INCH
66 Posts
Picked 4 mint never filled, empty 55g drums. $5ea. Not that it matters, but they even have glossy paint on them, clean inside and out, complete with uncut tops and intact bungs. Guy inherited the property, has a pole barn full of them, and no clue why they were stashed. All empty, all dry. Stumbled across the place while taking the back roads to an Amish store. 1 will be a new burn barrel, 2 will be compost tumblers, and the 4th might become a BBQ - not sure on that one yet. Taking them to the BOL tomorrow, although tasks will likely involve more whiskey than actual work as it is supposed to rain all day/night Saturday. No matter. A crap wknd on the BOL is better than a good day among the sheep IMHO....

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
Local Menards had 20-lb propane tanks on sale ($5 off), plus an 11% rebate on top of that. So I picked one up and had it filled. I plan on adding 4 or 5 tanks to my stores.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
Time to up my game and move up from my indoor/outdoor thermometer and wireless rain gauge... both of which are getting long in the tooth.

Scored an AcuRite Iris from Facebook Marketplace with display and lightning sensor this morning for about 35% of on-line prices.

Tread Automotive design Bumper Automotive tire Fender

Didn't take me long to get it mounted up on the roof.

Hood Gas Electric blue Vehicle Metal

Looking good!

Sky Plant Building Branch Twig

Don't freak out... those trees are a good 60 feet away!

Display inside:

Gadget Font Screenshot Technology Display device

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Updated my inventory of expendable supplies.

Also one carton of the wife's cigarettes.

Yes comfort items are a part and parcel of survival.

The happier one is the less likely they are to react adversely when other things go south.

2521 - 2540 of 2566 Posts