Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
2441 - 2460 of 2464 Posts

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
Got my Mobile Com system installation finished today. Been working to add both a CB and a ham radio to my daily driver, and git 'er done before winter settles in.

Automotive design Camera accessory Reflex camera Automotive tire Camera lens
Ham is a BTech UV25x4, CB is a Midland 75-822.

Other end of the cables are on the hood.

Water Lamp Roof Wire Grass
Ham antenna (left) is a Tram 1180. CB (drivers) is a Browning BR-140. Both are mounted onto the hood with a Tram 1246 NMO lip mount.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
Dug out all the quartz I collected this summer and broke it up to give to other MAG members for their flint-n-steel kits.

Bedrock Wood Pattern Geology Rock

Why quartz and not flint? Flint isn't that common around here, and the quartz I find does just as good a job.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
Took advantage of a somewhat sunny day when I had no work scheduled and got my Sunflair solar oven out to do a water pasteurization test.

Semi-sunny day.

Cloud Sky Atmosphere Plant Azure

I set it up on a table out on my deck. I used the silicon pot that came with the oven for the test, as well as a WAPI.

Water Automotive tire Liquid Glass Road surface

A WAter Pasteurization Indicator (WAPI) is simply a small plastic tube with beeswax in it that melts at the same temperature that is fatal to most microorganisms in water that can make you ill. When the beeswax melts and runs to the bottom of the tube, the water has been heated enough to kill all those nasty little creepy-crawlies that give you the green-apple quickstep.

It was mid-morning before the sun really got to my deck due a tree. So at 9:30 this morning, I was all set up.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

By 10:30, the air had heated up enough to start really getting the water heated.

Automotive tire Hood Road surface Automotive lighting Asphalt

I managed to fall asleep in my chair after an early lunch, so I missed checking on it at 11:30. But by 12:30, the temperature in the oven had risen to about 195°F, and the WAPI had indicated the water was pasteurized.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Textile Sleeve

You can't see it in the image, but the water is steaming since it's 50°F outside.

Automotive tire Cookware and bakeware Circle Electric blue Eyewear

This is the primary reason I bought the solar oven. So with a successful test, I now am confident I can process water after SHTF without resorting to boiling on a stove... a process that is fuel-intensive. Solar power is free!

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
Smoke drying the last of the Habs which made a bunch in a little terra cotta planter. These are small. I have quite a few bagged up with a paper towel in 10 pepper increments. Done a little at a time as they got ripe.
General game plan is to crush em into a powder if needed for the future. Made sure they were very dry before bagging up in freezer bags and think the paper towel will absorb enough moisture to keep the mold at bay. Works good like that on jerky lol. Much cheaper than the little desiccant packets.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Well, my eye is healed, my strength has increased over the past two years, I had some money saved, and I just got tired of listening to relatives and folks who always know I'm home.

...I bought some "metal stuff" and sure hope I remember where the "go button" is located...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Nice looking fan.it looks like it's worth buying.sometimes small is better.

i bought this one a few months ago. Haven't given it a real try yet.but does hold a charge thoe.and it has a 3 speed settings.

I also have 3 of these bug zappers.in which I use them in my apartment until my next camping trip.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
Facebook Marketplace score!

Midland 75-822 CB radios. Can be mounted into vehicle or converted into an HT. Old stock. Usually $110-120 new.. each. I brought home THREE of 'em for $75 the other night.

Motor vehicle Font Publication Wall Tints and shades

Already sold one to a MAG member, another will go into Faraday cage.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
Drug out my 30" bow saw and plain-jane axe out of the shed. The axe is past recovery, so it was discarded. Cleaned up the blade on the saw, and went shopping for a new axe. Both will be put in the back of my truck tomorrow.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Today was a slow day, I split some firewood with my trusty old axe.
Found my splitting maul that I loaned out had a nice crack in the handle so it's on the repair list but the good part is this has me motivated to build a 12 volt hydraulic log splitter since I have all the parts.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
Another project crossed off the list:

Equip the truck with an axe, shovel and Fubar. Make ceiling mount for them to keep them off the bed.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior Rim

Manufactured the hardware last night.

Automotive tire Tire Rectangle Automotive exterior Bumper

Took advantage of a mild day today to install it all.

Automotive tire Wood Automotive lighting Bumper Rim

Frame is simply some 3/4"-square stock from the hardware store. Rubber mounts are QuickFists.

Probably $75 in material and 4 hours labor.

2441 - 2460 of 2464 Posts