Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
2421 - 2439 of 2439 Posts

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
RANGE DAY!

Nine of us gathered with about 20 firearms. Two were noobs, so we had an introductory safety course, then it was time to perf some paper.

Glove Motor vehicle Safety glove Automotive tire Engineering

Automotive tire Wood Urban design Plant Grass

Tread Hat T-shirt Automotive tire Luggage and bags

I took my AK to reset the sights as I hadn't had a chance to do so since getting it back from the slant brake installation. No adjustment necessary.... it was still zeroed.

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
A nice new box showed up at my door this afternoon. My 'blemished' 1.75-gallon Rotopax fuel pack arrived.

Gadget Material property Font Plastic Magenta

Will tuck in nicely with my two WaterBricks in the back of the truck. I won't carry fuel in it on a regular basis unless I'm on a long road trip.

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
Ordered a 1000' spool of black 550 paracord from Sgt. Knots. Fifteen bucks. Problem is.... the spool is messed up.
So my project was to take this über-cheap cordage from this:

Natural material Electric blue Woolen Pattern Wool

... and straighten it out. I knew it would be insane to try to unwind it all into one 1000-foot spool, so I aimed to make seven 100-ft, three 50-ft and two 25-foot hanks. What was left measured out to 47 feet, which sounds correct since I added a few feet extra to each hank. Finished this afternoon!

Font Fashion accessory Composite material Natural material Metal

Will disburse them between BOB, GHBs, vehicles and camping kits.

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
Finished my REK (Roadside Emergency Kit) this morning. A trip to the auto store netted me the vehicle fluids I needed.

Blue Toy Yellow Motor vehicle Luggage and bags

1: Two 3½-gal water bricks with 2½ gallons of water in each (to allow for expansion when they freeze in the winter)
2. A 1¾-gal Rotopax fuel can. I won't have any fuel in it unless I'm on a long road trip. Then I'll fill it up, make the trip and put it in the trucks gas tank when I'm done.
3. 1-gal antifreeze
4. 2 qts motor oil
5. Power steering fluid
6. Transmission fluid
7. Brake fluid
8. Nitrile gloves, 3-pr in small ziplock bags.
9. Miscellaneous rags in ziplock sandwich bags
10. Funnel

The blue bins are book bins, 75¢ each at WallyWorld. The gray pipe is a cargo bar used to keep the totes to the right from sliding around.

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
I stepped out onto my porch today and found a huge white box from the People's Republic of Commiefornia. My recovery boards arrived a week early!

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Automotive design

They weren't scheduled to be delivered until late next week, so........... WHOO HOO!.

No, they're not maxtrax. I can't justify spending that kind of scratch on something I'll probably only use once, maybe twice. These are Bunker Indust. About 60 bucks shipped to my door.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

I wasn't expecting a case to be included as it wasn't mentioned in the ad. So, WHOO HOO again!

I already had a plan in my head on where and how to store them in my truck. But I waited until they actually were on-hand before I proceeded 'cuz I wanted to make sure the plan would work.

Step on: Drill and tap seven ¼x20 2" eyebolts into the frame of the topper:

Shade Grey Building Line Composite material

Thread in some 550 cord with a tautline hitch on each end, leaving plenty of slack to allow the boards to be slid over the 550...

Hood Bumper Automotive exterior Composite material Gas

Once they're on top of the cord, pull the hitches tight, and....

Car Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Fixture Gas

They're safely tucked away, but readily accessible when needed.

Now mind you, I have no illusions about heading to Utah and going rack-crawling with this truck. I know full well it's not made for that. But I do go off-road on occasion, and have found myself in a situation where these would have been handy to have. Even at 60 bucks, if I destroy them getting myself unstuck from a remote location, that's cheaper than calling a tow truck (assuming I have cell service!) to come out into the sticks and yank me out.

My other prep of the day was picking up an ice sled from the local Fleet Farm. Just in case I need to make tracks with the BOB in the snow.

Grille Automotive lighting Street light Rectangle Bumper

There were no holes other than the two for the tow rope, so a quick trip around with a drill solved that problem fairly quickly.

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
This spring, I heard a clicking sound coming from my 2nd bath. A hailstone managed to punch a hole in it. So I ordered a replacement, waited 2 weeks for it to arrive, and installed it.

ONE WEEK LATER: Another hailstone punches a hole in the brand-freakin-new one. So......... I order another one.... only to get a message, "Gee, we don't have any more. We just sold the last one in stock two weeks ago..." :mad:

So the second one arrived after a long summer, and I picked up the second replacement Wednesday afternoon. I headed up to the roof first thing Thursday morning to get it installed.

Property Blue Rectangle Azure Wood

While I was up there, I noticed another roof issue: The flashing around two vent pipes had totally deteriorated.

Automotive tire Tire Road surface Asphalt Tar

So I head back to the Big Box Home Store, pick up two flashings and a new can of roofing tar, and get that taken care of.

Automotive tire Road surface Grey Asphalt Flooring

But wait! There's more!

While doing that, I notice yet another issue. A [email protected]*(ing raccoon had breached a roof vent and decided to take up residence in my attic.

Blue Water Rectangle Wall Wood

So, back to the Big Box Home Store to get a new vent. A couple hours later, that issue is taken care of.

Hood Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt Rectangle

I guess this is proof bad things happen in threes.

So, to reward myself, I went to the gun show and came home with a new toy:

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gas Gun accessory

Here's the details: Taurus 1-G3C931.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I hauled all of my supplies out of my truck, including the Get Home Bag and did a complete overhaul of everything. Cleaned, inventoried, and restocked food and water supplies. Replaced a few older items like matches with newer ones and I’m very happy with how it all came out. Really a good time to do this, heading into winter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re-introduced myself to this forum. Pulled some items out of the freezer to get them ready for dehydrating, Took a walk because I can't make it to the gym today, probably look over some planters to purchase tonight

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,950 Posts
Forgot to post it at the time, but stored 200+lbs of beef into the new chest freezer. That should last a good while during this supply chain issue.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Did some trading for a truck ladder rack. I think its a homemade job but done very well. Heavy duty square tubing. I am going to do some converting to it so that it is an off road edition. I want to put an Army Hummer pioneer tool rack on one side. Fuel or water cans on the other side. Add a some more bracing to the roof and then put heavy mesh on top so you can walk on it or set a tent up on it.

I have to look around at off road or overland racks and get some ideas.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Window Building Wood House Fixture
I Cleaned and oiled a lot of guns today, ordered another KA-BAR and ordered a belt and holster for my new Cimmeron “EVIL ROY” 45LC.
I need a nap.
Oh, and last week ordered 10x16 green house. It’ll be another 10 weeks till delivery.

2421 - 2439 of 2439 Posts