Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
2401 - 2420 of 2439 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I tend to jam mine in to a couple days. I had a couple Chaya plants that had about 4 stalks around 10 foot tall. I cut those down to about 2' from the ground, cut them into 2-3 foot sections and replanted them to grow new ones. When they catch up I'll have a real nice Chaya hedge in a couple places that will supply greens.

Also ordered some Amaranth based on Rednecks writeup. Planted a couple Mexican sunflowers that I propagated. Pound for pound they're supposed to be equivalent to chicken poop in phosphorous. Nice thing is when you cut those down they're like a hydra, they produce more stalks and grow back fast. Cut the stands of Fakahatchee grass and loaded it up on the raised bed.

Securing the marine tools due to the impending storms, and picked up an inverter for the vehicles. Maybe you could consider this a prep but picked up one of those inspection cameras to find a plumbing leak, I suppose you could use it to peak out the windows discreetly to see what's going on. ;)

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
Took advantage of a superb weather this evening to go out and rearrange my "Roadside Assistance" kit in the back of my truck. My first task was to split all the gear into two totes.

The tall one on the left will hold the bulky but lighter items... soft shackles, kinetic rope, tow straps, bungee cords and air pump. Short one on right is for the heavy stuff.... trailer hitches, log chain, socket sets and large ratchet straps. I stopped by the local farm supply this morning and picked up 3 pairs of cheap chore gloves to protect my paws with when I'm on the side of the road (or out in the sticks) needing this stuff.

I tossed a pair into each tote so I'll have a pair handy. Then it's on with the lids, slide 'em up to the front and stack 'em up. I put them on the passenger side so I can access them in relative safety on the side of the road if need be. A cargo bar keeps them in place when I do jackrabbit starts.

I keep the jump-starter and the Nut Buddy up in the cab.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Took advantage of a superb weather this evening to go out and rearrange my "Roadside Assistance" kit in the back of my truck. My first task was to split all the gear into two totes.

The tall one on the left will hold the bulky but lighter items... soft shackles, kinetic rope, tow straps, bungee cords and air pump. Short one on right is for the heavy stuff.... trailer hitches, log chain, socket sets and large ratchet straps. I stopped by the local farm supply this morning and picked up 3 pairs of cheap chore gloves to protect my paws with when I'm on the side of the road (or out in the sticks) needing this stuff.

View attachment 113896

I tossed a pair into each tote so I'll have a pair handy. Then it's on with the lids, slide 'em up to the front and stack 'em up. I put them on the passenger side so I can access them in relative safety on the side of the road if need be. A cargo bar keeps them in place when I do jackrabbit starts.

View attachment 113897

I keep the jump-starter and the Nut Buddy up in the cab.
I love the idea of throwing a camper on the truck, it gives you more organizational flexibility than trying to cram everything into a toolbox. I've been on the lookout for a good used older truck for a while and I think when I find one I'll definitely get a camper on it and do what you're doing. My Dad used to have an old S10 with a camper and in the inside was built out and carpeted so it made for a impromptu sleeping quarters.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This past week I built 6 new 4x8 raised beds and added dirt to two of them. I also got collards, flour corn, sweet corn, lima beans, snap beans, aji dulce peppers, eggplant, and seminole pumpkin coming up in seed trays. I'll keep filling the other beds on a weekly basis. Once that's done my original raised bed will be re-soiled and planted with herbs.

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
I got a new daily driver a couple months ago (used), and it only came with one key. So that got rectified today. Had two more transponder keys cut so I can have an extra set inside the house when I mis-place my 'regular' set, and a copy set of keys (ignition, service and topper) stashed inside the cab of the truck. It all fits nice and neat in an Altoids tin. I'll wrap it with a small cloth to keep it from rattling.

How will I get in when all the keys and the fob are on the inside? No problem... I have a service key stashed outside the vehicle that will mechanically unlock the door. I'm challenging some of my (trusted) geocaching buddies to see if they can find that one.😈

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are not the only person who has encountered this problem. After a heavy rain, I had my whole car flooded, and after that event, almost all the mats were destroyed. For you, I think the best thing to do would be to clean all the carpets in the car, then the smell and dampness in the interior of the vehicle will disappear. I tried cleaning the interior myself. I had different solutions, but the effect is not what was expected, so I had to call one of the cleaning companies. If you don't know who to contact, contact Carpet Cleaning Greeley Colorado - Rug and Upholstery Cleaning. I had them clean the cabin, and since then, I haven't had an unpleasant smell in the cabin.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I ordered this Czech canteen and Romanian rucksack.

Czech Military Surplus Wool Cover Canteen with Cork Stopper, Like New

Romanian Military Surplus Rucksack With Leather Trim, Like New

I really like the vintage look. I am planning to do some camping with my muzzleloader and 1858 Remington revolver. I already have a leather belt and some pouches for revolver. I ordered a leather document or map case and plan on using that for the powder flask.

Vintage Military Brown Leather Document Map Case No Markings | eBay

I also ordered a French leather ammunition pouch for the balls of the muzzleloader.

Those leather items that are not black, I am going to dye them black so there is uniformity. Just trying to keep it vintage looking.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Deer season next weekend;
Filled the feeder
Cut branches away from stands for shooting lanes
Added some burlap camo to a tripod stand for cover
Planted another row of peas in the food plots

Waiting on Bambi season for some venison……
BoF

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
The passenger side of my truck bed has been designated as the roadside emergency side. I've got the totes with chains, ropes, straps, tools etc. So I hit the hardware store for some basic clips. Add a couple screws,

Aircraft Vehicle Airplane Toy airplane Toy

.. and I hung up my chore gloves and safety vest for easy access from that side of the topper.

Motor vehicle Plant Window Vehicle door Wood

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
Have been spending a lot of time on the computer lately placing pins on Google maps, then converting the GPS coordinates to .GPX tracks. Every place I could think of I might need to get to should things go south. MAG members, rally points, etc. Compiled them all into a file directory, then exported the file onto all my devices (tablets, phone, truck radio head). Now I have quick & easy access to all those locations without having to manually find them on the map so I can quickly start making my way to my destination no matter where I happen to be.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Congratulations, BPH, it’s an awfully good feeling to have that payment behind you. Now the equity in your house really means something. The budget just got a lot less tight. Be sure to plan for what you want to do with that extra money in the budget before you piddle it away. But first, treat you and your family to something unnecessary, you’ve earned it.

2401 - 2420 of 2439 Posts