Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
2381 - 2399 of 2399 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
About ten to twelve days ago, I cut up a butternut squash for dinner. As I cleaned out the seeds etc from the middle of it, I wondered if the seeds would grow if I planted them. Know that I am NOT a gardener, I have two black thumbs. My (late) hubbie used to make the sign of the cross over any poor potted plant I bought because it was gonna die a slow and painful death. So just out of curiosity, I searched on how to grow that squash. Stuff like you have to soak and wash the seeds, dry them till they snap, and it just got too complicated. Well, hells bells, why not see what would happen if I planted them so, using this moisture control potting soil I had out in the shed, I found three small pots, dumped the soil in them, and stuffed ten of the seeds in the pots, within a few minutes of scraping them out of the squash. No washing, no nuthin'.

I will be damned -- eight of them have sprouted! Surprise, surprise, surprise! I have a little place where I can plant one, maybe two, of them. A friend who has a big garden will get the rest. I can't believe it! And I have an acorn squash on the kitchen counter. Maybe I should give that a try. This was just an experiment to see what would happen. The growing season here probably isn't long enough to harvest from them, we shall see.

I can't believe it.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
You're hooked now. (y)

·
Registered
8,937 Posts
Went out yesterday and did a full, all-up test of of the GHB. Went to a local campground, donned the GHB and did a 3½-mile loop hike back to my parking spot/camp site. Pitched the tent and spent the rest of the day living off the contents of the bag. Managed to get through the 93°F heat and got a decent sleep in the low 70's. Found even in the heat, my 'winter' sleep system (NeoAir Xtherm and Wiggy's 20°F bag) didn't overheat me. For the most part, the bag was merely extra padding as I didn't get into it until around 3AM.

Although the heat was miserable, I managed to pitch the tent in a shady site and was able to work through the heat by taking it slow with plenty of rest breaks and guzzling the H2O.

This morning, I backtracked the same route, bringing me back to my truck where I loaded up and drove home.

I did find some minor holes in the kit (mainly, a headlamp), as well as a couple more items I'll be adding in the near future. I also metered how much water I would need should I find myself in a real situation (especially dealing with the heat). Good information to know. Bag is now getting restocked and recharged and should be back out in the truck tonight.

·
Registered
8,937 Posts
The Happy Dark Blue Van with a Curved Arrow stopped by today. The last item of my 'recovery gear kit' arrived.

20-foot kinetic rope, 2" receiver attachment and two bow- / D-shackles, two soft shackles, and both a 20- and 30-foot tow strap. All in a large tote in the bed of my truck along with hand tools, 12V air pump, ball hitches, jumper cables, log chain etc etc etc.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Vacuum sealed five 1lb bags of overpriced ground beef and put them in the freezer. Beyond that nothing.
Need to get my ass in gear tomorrow.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Feeling run down the last couple days but did mount a three gun rack on the hall wall along with some 12 gauge shells for fast access just in case. Also did a little cleaning and prepping early this morning of my cargo trailer with plans to make it more of a quick to set up cargo glamper last ditch bug.

Stupid amount of humidity here in what's supposed to be a semi arid climate and probably what's kicking my posterior.

·
Registered
151 Posts
About ten to twelve days ago, I cut up a butternut squash for dinner. As I cleaned out the seeds etc from the middle of it, I wondered if the seeds would grow if I planted them. Know that I am NOT a gardener, I have two black thumbs. My (late) hubbie used to make the sign of the cross over any poor potted plant I bought because it was gonna die a slow and painful death. So just out of curiosity, I searched on how to grow that squash. Stuff like you have to soak and wash the seeds, dry them till they snap, and it just got too complicated. Well, hells bells, why not see what would happen if I planted them so, using this moisture control potting soil I had out in the shed, I found three small pots, dumped the soil in them, and stuffed ten of the seeds in the pots, within a few minutes of scraping them out of the squash. No washing, no nuthin'.

I will be damned -- eight of them have sprouted! Surprise, surprise, surprise! I have a little place where I can plant one, maybe two, of them. A friend who has a big garden will get the rest. I can't believe it! And I have an acorn squash on the kitchen counter. Maybe I should give that a try. This was just an experiment to see what would happen. The growing season here probably isn't long enough to harvest from them, we shall see.

I can't believe it.
UPDATE: So I planted four of the seedlings in a small bed, thinking a few of them would prolly die. Gave four to a gardener friend. Well, all of mine are growing just fine. Figures cuz there is NOT enough room for them in that small bed. Amazing. I will most likely have to pull a couple out when they get bigger.

·
Registered
8,937 Posts
During my annual BOB/GHB maintenance earlier this year,I found the tubes of lip balm had melted and made a mess of things. Solution: single-use packages. Ordered a box of 144. Will give most of them away to others in the MAG.

·
Registered
8,937 Posts
Another delivery today. My four 3.5-gal WaterBricks.

Will get me 5+ gallons in each vehicle, allowing for freezing during the winter. Two will always reside in each vehicle, along with an extra cap I will modify to accept a tap.

·
Registered
8,937 Posts
Went out yesterday to move my daily driver, and the battery was dead. Not totally flat (ie, nothing), but not enough to turn the engine, and the starter relay chattered. Used my portable jump-starter which worked flawlessly. So today's task was to get a new battery before the real heat set in. By 10, it was already unbearable, but the truck now has a new power source. Old battery was over 4 years old. Portable starter is still 90% charged.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
My first battery in my Dodge 2004 Ram 2500 HD lasted 11 years.

Reactions: inceptor
2381 - 2399 of 2399 Posts