Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

2361 - 2380 of 2383 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Today I was foraging for medicinal herbs and edible. I found cleavers, stinging nettles, ,lots of dandelion, plantain, catnip and violets. Now they are in my dryer. I am expecting a order from Misfit market and will probably do some dehydrating and eating of course when it comes. No morals yet, sigh.

Reactions: Annie

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
6,647 Posts
Went through our first aid supplies, purged, reorganized and made a list of what needs to be restocked.

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
Met with a good friend who took a short-notice trip to (Branson?) Misery to stock up on Augason Farms goodies. Had him pick up a bucket of Shredded Spuds for me. We met out near the interstate this afternoon and I exchanged some lettuce for it.

I have yet to try them, but I've heard they're good. So guess what I'll be making for dinner tonight?

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
6,647 Posts
Rotated my pastas. Since I keep pastas in a barrel, I need to take all the boxes out when it's full and put what's on top in the bottom, and what's on the bottom goes on top.

·
Registered
Communications, planting and maintaining long term food
6 Posts
Rotated my pastas. Since I keep pastas in a barrel, I need to take all the boxes out when it's full and put what's on top in the bottom, and what's on the bottom goes on top.
Today we are replacing shelving. We ordered some that just doesn't hold the weight no matter how much we distribute it. So tearing it down and putting new shelves down is our plan for today. I have a video up on my channel, and another scheduled for around 3 or 4.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I took 2 woman out to do their running around yesterday. in which I took the time to buy me 3-5 gallon gas cans. now to figure where to keep them once I fill them up. for those that don't know it. I live in a apartment.

·
Super Moderator
9,503 Posts
I took 2 woman out to do their running around yesterday. in which I took the time to buy me 3-5 gallon gas cans. now to figure where to keep them once I fill them up. for those that don't know it. I live in a apartment.
Sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Stored on the floor, the fumes leak out on the floor and spread. Just a spark, anything that causes a spark, boom.

·
Registered
200 Posts
that's one reason I won't store it inside.the other reason,is.the fumes can kill.my water heater closet is separate from the rest of the apartment.and that might be the only location I have for storage.

·
Super Moderator
9,503 Posts
that's one reason I won't store it inside.the other reason,is.the fumes can kill.my water heater closet is separate from the rest of the apartment.and that might be the only location I have for storage.
Water heaters are one main cause for igniting the fumes. This was from a letter send out by our city.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have been planting for the last few days. The tomatoes I salvaged have cute little tomatoes already. Sadly I don't see any growth from the horseradish I planted over a week ago. I also dehydrated a ton of celery and potatoes and rotated my storage units.

Reactions: Auntie

·
Registered
457 Posts
Well, life has thrown us some oranges instead of lemons here lately. We just made our "prep of the year" or decade....and bought a new house! The new place is out of town on 3 acres. While dreading the move, we're super excited for the possibilities of the new place. Plenty of outbuildings and room for our growing herd of rabbits. Maybe goats and chickens will be in our future? Our garden this year is going to suffer due to time tho. One thing is for sure, we'll be moving some dirt and building a firing range. I'm so tired of packing things up to head out 45 minutes to go shoot at a friends place. I know right now isn't the best time to go blowing through ammo, but if it's not convenient to go practice, it just isn't going to happen. The new place will need plenty of work to bring up to date and to make it our home, but I can't wait to get started.

One of the big hurdles right now is moving certain preps before the help comes to help move the more traditional stuff. I'd like to move everything ourselves, but it just isn't feasible. Wish us luck!

·
Super Moderator
3,480 Posts
Well, life has thrown us some oranges instead of lemons here lately. We just made our "prep of the year" or decade....and bought a new house! The new place is out of town on 3 acres. ......
Congratulations!

Reactions: spork

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
Gun show day!

The medics in our MAG dropped over $500 at the vendor selling med supplies. Another bought a Walther P22. I was on the hunt for 45ACP. Did my best Fred Sanford imitation when I saw a bag of reloads for $1/rd. Then I found these:

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
Wow! Almost two weeks and NO ONE had anything note-worthy!

OK, box at the door yesterday. In it, my new MSR (Cascade Designs) SE200 Community Chlorine Maker kit.

Converts salt water into chlorine. Why? Simple! Liquid bleach doesn't store well. After a year or two, your bottle of Clorox will just be water that smells like chlorine and have zip for disinfecting ability. Pool shock? Eh, that's problems as well. Off-gassing highly caustic fumes, plus a fire hazard.

But salt.... plain ol' salt.... can store indefinitely. So today I picked up a 40-lb bag of rock salt at Sams Club (all of $5.28!) and a 5-gallon bucket & lid at Home Cheapo (perfect size for 40 lbs of salt). No matter how I calculate it, this little kit and that 40 pounds of salt will disinfect over 100,000 gallons of water.

Yes..... 100,000 gallons (380 kiloliters). Heck, at my age, I could piddle away 10 gallons of treated water a day and still be dead before that 40 pounds of salt runs out. Total cost? Well, the kit cost me less than $200. The MSRP is 250, but I caught one on sale for $196 shipped with the King's Share. So for about $225, I have the luxury of knowing I can treat a lifetime supply of water for myself.

Yep... the most vital liquid to a person..... disinfected.... lifetime supply..... price of a couple of surf-n-turf dinners......Got your attention now? Good! Thinking of getting one yourself? Better act fast........ MSR has discontinued production and don't have any themselves. What are out there is 'old new stock' at the retail level. But since no more are on the way from the warehouses, availability will slowly dwindle to zee-roh.

If you want to know more, check out this great write-up on them. Too bad they're discontinued now. I got mine, hopefuly you can get yours before poof.

2361 - 2380 of 2383 Posts