Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

2321 - 2340 of 2383 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Not much prepping today. Grated a bunch of ginger to dehydrate and started preparing my outdoor plants for the cold weather coming. Made a essential oil of grass and lavender for no other reason then it will smell great when I make it into a balm. Hating the cool weather. My old dog that has cancer is having a off day so will be sticking close to home today.

Reactions: Weldman

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
Not a prep for me, but a huge step forward for a member of our MAG. One of our members recently bowed down, kissed the Kings feet and paid the ransom money he demanded to obtain the magical unicorn-produced permission slip known as a "CCW permit".

She had already 'picked' one out based on phone calls with her son, but we advised her to take a tour of today's gun show. So five of us gathered and busted down the doors when they opened. It wasn't long before she spied the 'boomstick of her dreams', but those dreams were shattered when she realized she just didn't have the strength to rack the slide on it.

So onward we went, picking up this and that, oohing and aahing. Then, upon arriving at my own personal favorite vendor, she picked up a S&W M&P 2.0 compact. Although she struggled with racking it at first, it wasn't long until she got the hang of it. She again called her son and he still suggested a Hellcat, the one she just couldn't rack. He did say the S&W was $40 cheaper at a local sporting goods store, but I did a quick check online and sure enough.... they were out of stock. I reminded her that it may well be months before the store restocks. Here's one,...... right here, right now. Yeah, forty bucks is forty bucks. But you can take it home today.

We finished touring the show. Others picked up knives, ammo, stickers etc. I ended up with nothing but a red X on my hand. But the money was burning a hole in her pocket. She decided to go ahead and get the S&W. We added 2 boxes of freedom seeds, and they took a bit off for the package deal.

Then the adrenaline started to kick in as she filled out the 4473. She kept asking me what the answers should be. I told her I can't tell her that, and just answer honestly. The vendor checked her ID, her CCW and the 4473 and said, "Well, there's just one more thing, and that's to pay for it. Then it's aaaaallll yours!" Some dead presidents slid across the table, and now this quiet, unassuming woman is an official member of the Pew Pew Club.

·
Banned
647 Posts
Not a prep for me, but a huge step forward for a member of our MAG. One of our members recently bowed down, kissed the Kings feet and paid the ransom money he demanded to obtain the magical unicorn-produced permission slip known as a "CCW permit".

She had already 'picked' one out based on phone calls with her son, but we advised her to take a tour of today's gun show. So five of us gathered and busted down the doors when they opened. It wasn't long before she spied the 'boomstick of her dreams', but those dreams were shattered when she realized she just didn't have the strength to rack the slide on it.

So onward we went, picking up this and that, oohing and aahing. Then, upon arriving at my own personal favorite vendor, she picked up a S&W M&P 2.0 compact. Although she struggled with racking it at first, it wasn't long until she got the hang of it. She again called her son and he still suggested a Hellcat, the one she just couldn't rack. He did say the S&W was $40 cheaper at a local sporting goods store, but I did a quick check online and sure enough.... they were out of stock. I reminded her that it may well be months before the store restocks. Here's one,...... right here, right now. Yeah, forty bucks is forty bucks. But you can take it home today.

We finished touring the show. Others picked up knives, ammo, stickers etc. I ended up with nothing but a red X on my hand. But the money was burning a hole in her pocket. She decided to go ahead and get the S&W. We added 2 boxes of freedom seeds, and they took a bit off for the package deal.

Then the adrenaline started to kick in as she filled out the 4473. She kept asking me what the answers should be. I told her I can't tell her that, and just answer honestly. The vendor checked her ID, her CCW and the 4473 and said, "Well, there's just one more thing, and that's to pay for it. Then it's aaaaallll yours!" Some dead presidents slid across the table, and now this quiet, unassuming woman is an official member of the Pew Pew Club.
That’s awesome she’s interested in protecting herself but I would’ve suggest a revolver.

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
That’s awesome she’s interested in protecting herself but I would’ve suggest a revolver.
She actually has one, but can't pull the trigger on it without it wiggling off-target (single action). Yeah, there are better wheels out there than that very old, inherited one, but I think she just liked the extra capacity of a semi. She originally wanted to get a copy of my Walther P22, but we talked her into something with a bit more punch.

·
Banned
Staying alive
515 Posts

If she has trouble racking the slide she should have went for a S&W M&P EZ. They have been in stock most places around me. I've never tried one but from what I hear people that have them are very happy with them.

·
Super Moderator
9,503 Posts
If she has trouble racking the slide she should have went for a S&W M&P EZ. They have been in stock most places around me. I've never tried one but from what I hear people that have them are very happy with them.
It's the only one my wife can rack the slide. And it fits her hand nicely.

·
Banned
647 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have a kimber micro 9 mm. I had trouble racking it at first since it was new but once I loosened it up by firing a few hundred rounds it racks nicely or I have least gotten more comfortable with it. I have had so many surgeries on my hands and wrists I needed something I could work. Nice of you all to go with her.

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
Started experimenting with cotton makeup pads and wax to make some DIY firestarters. Putting them in single-use mylar pouches so I can store them in vehicles and not have to worry about making a gooey, sticky mess in the summer.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have a kimber micro 9 mm. I had trouble racking it at first since it was new but once I loosened it up by firing a few hundred rounds it racks nicely or I have least gotten more comfortable with it. I have had so many surgeries on my hands and wrists I needed something I could work. Nice of you all to go with her.
I may message you to pick your brain on how that works for you. My wife is wanting something of her own and that was something that came across the radar for her.

·
Registered
604 Posts
My prep today, racked my coffee mead into their secondaries and got to do the first taste. My extra bold to me turned out exactly like I wanted, a bold smooth coffee flavor, the other one I made using just bold coffee my ole guy liked better but he isn't a strong coffee drinker. As far as prepping I have the dehydrator loaded with some vegetables for storage.

·
Banned
647 Posts
Ordered some more Glock mags while they’re still available to rathole.

Checked all my game cameras for trespassers.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
As much as I disliked the job, I spent a few hours polishing the pieces of some items where the 'fit' was slightly off.

For example, if your knife has a spring-lock that goes all the way to the far side, your fit is poor. A proper fitting of the lock and blade should show only a 25% engagement. If you look closer at the back edge of the ricasso you will find there's a subtle angle taper.

I have folders in the "20 year" collection, and all of them have this subtle yet strong engagement. Yes, collecting knives is fun and often provides an interesting view of foreign manufacturers. However, the blade is only one segment of this "machinery." The locking element, the pin (if applicable), and the spine all have to engage properly. Any poorly adjusted item will make the presented blade a weak link.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I got 2 more fields opened up for my 4 legged lawnmowers. Still saving 1 of the front 10 acre fields for SHTF and the back 10.

After having to evacuate last year, it’s going to be nice to have that extra barrier of fire clearance.

·
Banned
647 Posts
Set out some tomato plants in 5gal buckets and fed the worms a ton of watermelon.

I’ll be doing a lot of fishing this summer with my boys so we’ll need plenty of bait.

If you keep worms well they will multiply at a faster rate.

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
6,647 Posts
We've got our tomato beds up and ready to go. 3 beds, 4'x 8'...Bought fertilizer to add, so adding that's next. The tomato plants go in on Mother's Day...

We'll switch the other 6 beds over to summer vegetables in another couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to those springtime veggies.

·
Premium Member
3,169 Posts
Yesterday was beautiful here. Today, not so much. It’s snowing. But yesterday I weeded my asparagus bed and put a healthy layer of mushroom compost on the bed. The sprouts are just starting to peek up. We will be eating it in a few days. I love fresh asparagus with cheese sauce.

·
Premium Member
3,169 Posts
This is not so much a prep, but some may find it helpful for a cheap, quick, and easy meal. I made an easy chicken fried rice dish. One cup of minute rice and I mixed in 1 pint of my home canned chicken breasts, one can of peas & carrots, and a couple of scrambled eggs. It’s not delicious, but it’s pretty good and very filling. Quick to make.

2321 - 2340 of 2383 Posts