Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

2261 - 2280 of 2321 Posts

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
I have been checking craigslist for weeks, closest ones are 100 miles away. I will get lucky one of these days.
Try local wineries. Or soda bottling plants.

·
Registered
426 Posts
My prep for the day is just putting my mustards in jars and enjoying the day. Spent yesterday organizing my spare room into another pantry and storage room. My husband is going to put a lock on it. Today is a enjoy the weather day.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Today I have the fun job of chopping up 5 pounds of onion and dehydrating them since I am getting low. I bought more food for storing so will be putting up some more rice, pasta and finally making my oatmeal packages. We went from 70+ degrees to in the 20's today so no outdoor work today. Darn weather.

I am looking for a good can opener for my kitchen. Can't find one that doesn't suck and I am not good using my husbands tiny one, any suggestions, not electric. I also got a new granite mortar and pestle I will spend the next few day seasoning. My last one last about 30 years so this should be the last one I ever have to buy.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I bought a hand operated can opener at walmart a while back. on account the electric one is wearing out. even then, mainly the parts that attaches to the can's. I made a great buy that day. and yes I do plan on buying at least one or two more.

IMG_20210331_101118_9.jpg IMG_20210331_101101_6.jpg

·
Registered
784 Posts
For a can opener, we use the ones that cut on the outside, as opposed to the inner lid like jimLE's above. It leaves no sharp edges...They don't last forever, and we recently replaced one from about 6 years ago...they're not that expensive - maybe $12 at a local grocery store...

Like this (We like this brand also for many items): OXO Good Grips Soft-Handled Can Opener

Peace,
Michael J.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I bought a hand operated can opener at walmart a while back. on account the electric one is wearing out. even then, mainly the parts that attaches to the can's. I made a great buy that day. and yes I do plan on buying at least one or two more.

View attachment 113351 View attachment 113352 View attachment 113351 View attachment 113352
That looks like the one I just bought but it doesn't work at all, are you suppose to adjust something? It is like the gear and blade are not meeting where they should. You can tell I am putting off getting my onions chopped and in the dehydrator by how often I keep popping back in here. Sigh, they won't chop themselves so better get busy.

·
Registered
196 Posts
procrastinating are we? lol. I didn't adjust anything. and I just got them out and had a look. nothing to adjust on the one I have. I've used them I don't know how many times that I've used them.with no issues what so ever.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Been doing a long-term run test using an Anker A1272H11 PowerCore 20000 (20,000mAh) battery pack to drive the Grundig 750. After 48 hours, the battery pack is down only about 25%.

At this rate, the battery should last 7-8 days.

Also, the Happy USPS truck stopped by this morning and dropped off 3 April Fools Jokes.

Four USB charge cords for the four high-capacity batteries I just recieved for my Baofeng UV-5Rs, two AC adapters specifically for the Grundig 750, and a box of 500 tablet towels.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The onions are finally in the dehydrator, what a smell. I also got some canning supplies since I need to conquer my fear and learn hot to can. Finished up the last of my mustards to get ready to sell, the horseradish knocks your socks off. Cleaned house and made more snipping off my basil plants to start more and planted the ones that had rooted. So far off of the 3 original plants I have 15 with 5 more starts in water waiting to root. Cleaned my gun because I didn't last time I shot it, right before my surgery so that is my excuse. Not a very productive day prepping wise but productive anyway.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I watched the guys put some lights up in my shop and decided where I’m mounting my vise and reloading equipment.
View attachment 113376
Overlighted. Got a Quarter of the lights in my barn. And more directly focused LED over work areas.

Even have motion detector LED when you walk in from both sides.

You may need to find a better planner.

And I like lighting things up like a Christmas Tree

·
Registered
Staying alive
449 Posts
Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
449 Posts
Overlighted. Got a Quarter of the lights in my barn. And more directly focused LED over work areas.

Even have motion detector LED when you walk in from both sides.

You may need to find a better planner.

And I like lighting things up like a Christmas Tree
The lights over the work bench are LED and are on a dimmer. The lights on the ceiling are for general lighting and are too bright

I usually only turn half of them on.

They had just finished installing the lights over the bench and had just turned that breaker back on.

Ill be moving things in once my ankle heals up. 👍

·
Registered
449 Posts
Not sure where you plan on setting up for reloading by looking at this picture? Looks like indoor storage units.
Right here Nick. I put a red arrow and circled the bench for you.

It’s very similar to an indoor storage Unit.

Except I added a bench with a sink and some custom lighting above it. Installed an high pressure air outlet. I put slotboards on the wall and had the concrete stained.

I’ll probably remove the fluorescent lighting as it was there when it was constructed.

I have an apartment upstairs above the shop that you see, I plan on installing some spiral stairs to access the shop from the apartment. But that’ll be later......might not even do it. My wife wants an elevator.

2261 - 2280 of 2321 Posts