Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 493 Posts

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
Decided to get a 24v battery charger for the batteries in my back-up solar power set up.

Why, when I have solar? So I can charge the batteries if I have utility power available. (Plus it works on 12v automotive batteries as well, so why not?)

Noco G7200

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
Got tired of going on a Search & Destroy mission every time I needed the Fenix FD40s I have in both my pickup and van. I decided to solve that problem. Stopped by the hardware store on the way home and picked up a couple broom-handle clips. Bolted them to the drinkholders.

View attachment 82037

Now my flashlights are secured down tight and won't roll around taking corners, or hop around on rough roads. Plus ready and at-hand at a moments' notice!

View attachment 82039

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
........... If not, isolate the hot water heater. It's always full of potable water, and there are valves already on it that isolate it.
I'd say only 20-30% of the water heaters (not 'hot water heaters'.... why do you need to heat hot water?) in my area don't have valves on the inlet and outlets.

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
Bought a new war wagon 6 months ago (used cargo van for work), and it came with an inverter already installed. However, I could never get power out of it. So I decided to tackle the issue today. Either get it working, or install the one I took out of my previous van.

There was a device next to the battery that I could hear a servo motor running when I grounded it with the engine running and when I shut the engine off. So I assumed that was some sort of voltage sensor that detected higher voltage of the alternator and would send power on to the inverter. Logically, this would only allow the inverter to be powered with the engine running to prevent a dead battery. However, I couldn't get 12 volts downstream from that, so I took it out of the circuit. I landed the battery cable that went to it right to the 150a fuse that fed the inverter.

That got the inverter to actually turn on! However, no power out. Hmm. Press the 'reset' button on the GFCI and BINGO! I has electrickery!

Now to decide whether I want to leave it as is (it's a 1000w run 2000w surge) since it's a pure sine wave, and put my 2000/4000 in my pickup (modified sine wave), or still proceed with swapping the van's inverter out with my old one and have the PSW one in my pick-em-up. Either way, the work van is gonna eventually get in isolator and a second battery dedicated to the inverter.

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
Just go up on your dang roof and see how much raccoon poop and bird splatters are up there... you'll switch to storage tanks like I did.
Not all water needs to be 'clean'. It can be used in the garden. A bit of bleach and you can do laundry with it.

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
Came home with a new toy today. A Henry .22LR Golden Boy. My cost: $50.

I bought some raffle tickets from a local charity back in the spring and ended up with a rifle.

Tee hee! :vs_wave:

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
I've always been interested in getting a small creek to turn a water wheel and gearing it to an automotive alternator. I could see stockpiling three or four alternators, and then just using them until they wore out.

Of course, first I'd need a creek. And an alternator.
Get three alternators to start. Use two of them to power a pump to pump the water uphill and run the three of them. Then use the third to charge your batteries. After a while, get more alternators to either upscale the operation, or keep a few in faraday cages just in case.

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
Stopped by the local thrift store and scored a pair of small cast iron pans for four bucks. They need a bit of TLC, but like all cast iron, they're restore just fine with a bit of elbow grease.

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
Went with a friend to the 2A Amusement Park (aka, 'gun show'). Didn't find much within my current 2A budget, but found a 'tobacco tin' cleaning kit for five bucks. Not a bad little pocket-sized kit for a five-spot. (The initials are not mine)

·
Registered
9,927 Posts

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
Spending the weekend doing my annual gittin-ready-fer-winter routine. Clean gutters. Lop the lawn for the last time. Change oil in the snowblower. Walk the roof and check for shingle issues......

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
Haven't fired up the battery bank for a while, so I've switched the furnace off of utility power and will let it run of the inverter today. Just to 'exercise' the batteries.

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
Not really a prep, but went and got some range time in today. Showed a friend my CMMG .22lr conversion kit for the AR, and helped him zero in his 30.06. Then used up some crappy steel 9mm.

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
Went to the gun show last week with a wad of c-notes for the purpose of buying an AK. Been itchin' for one for quite a while so I've been saving up the egg and paper-route money. Had a short list of what I was looking for and the first one I spotted was on the list: a Norinco MAK90. BAM! Mine. $625 cash.

As I'm filling out the paperwork, the dealer says there's an issue with my DL. It expired the freaking day before. He says it's not valid for ID any more and needs something else with my ugly mug on it. I don't have anything. So he starts on this long tirade about how I can go to a gun show in two weeks 250 miles away and pick it up, or one in a month that's 325 miles up the road. Screw that! I tell 'im to just trot it down to another vendor and swap copies of your FFLs. They'll be at the local gun show next weekend!

So tonight (after spending all day Tuesday getting my DL renewed..... no thanks to Patty and Thelma) I go to pick it up. Of course, I don't make a beeline to the dealer as I don't want to carry it around whilst I peruse all the other tables. But holy crap! Things got real expensive in the past week. I spotted two others that were almost $300 more!!!!!!

Makes me happy to score a deal like that!

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
Got bored due to the rain this morning, so went back to the gun show. Bought 5 boxes of 7.62x39 of various manufacture, a front sight tool and a couple mags.

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
I remember when they were $139.00 and some ammo tossed in. Yes I picked up a few extras. Take care of it it will serve you well. If you don't have one get a sight adjustment tool. The wood has been known to break if abused.
I remember 29¢/gallon gas and 6¢ first class postage. :armata_PDT_14:

Took it to the range this morning and managed to make it go 'boom' between the raindrops. Performed perfectly even with the super-cheap steel-case ammo. Didn't bother trying to zero it as the rain would have ruined that idea. That's for another day.... I just wanted to check it for proper bang-switch operation.

I plan on swapping out the furniture back to the classic wood stuff.

1 - 20 of 493 Posts