Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking about the first firearm i owned and it got me thinking what other peoples first firearms were.
So what was your first rifle ?

-Anthony

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
My first rifle I bought myself at Big 5. It was a Marlin 30-30 lever and I later traded it towards my pre ban Colt AR that will be 20 years old in 2013.

My first hand gun though is a great story. After high school waiting for college I took two reserve police officer courses and just turned 18 after the last course. They loaned me a 38sp smith for the class. I finished on a Saturday and on Monday morning I got a call from my local police dept asking if I wanted to be a reserve. Great I said. It seems they had just invested in reserve officer training manuals and needed gunnie pigs to go through them. Passed my physical, mental, and was all set to get started at 18. + 3 days when the weapon they offered was a beat up smith 38sp. I was advised I might want to get my own. At 18 I couldn't though even as a hired reserve. You had to be 21 in CA for a hand gun. A senior officer who'd be my training officer told me the day I picked up my badge that a nearby gun shop had a Model 27 Smith 5 inch in stock, only slightly used and only $275. I had to take my mom with me to the gun shop to buy it so I could carry it.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
.22 marlin bolt and it was old

·
Registered
365 Posts
my first rifle was a bb gun too.
My first real rifle was, like many, a ruger 10/22 I bought on my 18th birthday. That was the first firearm that I owned.
My dad gave me his marlin .22 when I was 10, but it was still technically his (I was using it when we went camping/etc.

·
Registered
496 Posts
30 cal M1 Inland Carbine and it's about one year older than I am.

Reactions: rice paddy daddy

·
Registered
570 Posts
First rifle was a Henry .22LR. First Adult rifle was a Lee-Enfield No.4 MkI in .303 British. Still have that gun.

·
Registered
98 Posts
A Stevens model 56 bolt action 22. I still have it. My dad taught me to shoot it when I was around 4 -5. Gave it to me when I was 12. I had a bb gun too in between there somewhere.

·
Administrator
15,001 Posts
My 10th birthday present was a Winchester 22. That was 54 years ago and it's long gone.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
My first gun was a Mossberg 20 gauge bolt action shotgun. I then bought a H&R 12 guage shortly afterwards. The first rifle I owned was a Remington 700 in 7mm Mag that was heavily modified into what would now amount to basically a Remington 700 Sendero back in 1983 before 26 inch fluted stainless steel barrels and composite stocks were the in thing. Great gun! Shot the dawg piss out of that rifle and its now on its 3 barrel. I got a 300 Win Mag a couple years later when I decided I needed something bigger and badder to kill a 100 pound Texas White Tail at further ranges and quicker than the 7mm, thats in about the same format. What the hell was I thinking back then? "Bean Field" rifles were starting to be all the rage about then...guess I was a couple years ahead of the trend. Took a lot of flack for those guns at deer camp....until they saw me zero that baby in and shoot a tight 5 shot group that made their knees buckle.

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
My first was a us 1917 enfield, my grandfather brought it back from the great war. he gave it to me when i was 12. that was in 1954.

My next was a marlin 22 auto for my 16th birthday.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow Ripon thats a great story
-Anthony

·
Registered
938 Posts
My first rifle was a Ruger 10/22 in stainless steel with a Simmons Pro Hunter fixed 4x scope, in silver, with a green and black laminated stock.

Still have it to this day. Accurate, reliable, rust proof, and a hoot to shoot to boot!

·
Registered
53 Posts
My first "firearm" was an H and R model 950 nine shot .22 long rifle, which I received for my twelfth birthday. My second was a Winchester model 190 semi automatic tube fed .22 long rifle the following year. Good times!

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
An argentine 1909 7.65 Mauser that was hunting converted. Man, I wish I still had it. Great hunting rifle but rounds were a bit expensive. Reloaded back then.

·
RIP Johnny
179 Posts
Like others my first was a Daisy BB gun but the first real rifle was a Savage Model 24 in .22/.410 over and under to which I still have for the time being. As soon as my oldest grandchild is ready and responsible enough it becomes his.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts