Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
30 06 here. Love it, Pappaw gave it to me. Shoots like a dream on whatever I put it on. Will hold onto this for life.

·
Registered
693 Posts
We only have 2 counties you can rifle hunt in, I personally have never gone hunting but I would probably use my Dads browning A-5 12ga. I need to bust that thing out and do a review on it!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I hunt small game with my trusty .22 lr does great ammo is dirt cheap

Medium game with my 6.5x55 sweed ( going to get a 308 and or 243 for redily available ammo/ growing up my dad had me use the 243 {necked down 308} for the russian boar in our area and with a well placed head shot there was never any issue out to 300 yds after that it started to drop off a bit

Large Game my 300 wsm ammo not cheap but hellova round and I can hit a deer with enough punch at 600 - 800 yds to not have to chase it

If / when I hunt birds i would use either or both 12ga or 410 you can find this stuff everywhere

·
Registered
102 Posts
At my moutain property & down south, I use my .270 Weatherby Vanguard. Deer hunting around my main house we can only use shotguns. I use a Rem 870 with a rifled barrel. It came with a smooth bore barrel, so I use that for turkeys & small game. Ruger 10/22 takes care of the tree rats :lol: .

·
Banned
62 Posts
until shtf, hunting is for sport, done with the pocket 9 or its .22lr conversion unit. If shtf, it will be done with the M4 or its .22lr conversion unit. I can brain big critters with it at longer ranges than any bowhunter can reliably hit the chest with an arrow. They get close enough, so can I.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Large game keep it a common caliber, .308, 30-06 & 270. These three will drop damn near any game in America with no probs. I've been using 30-06 for over 20 years. I currently live in Germany and have dropped many a big boar with 180grain 30-06 rounds. Keep it a premium bullet, and as always good shot placemnet is key.

·
Registered
7,936 Posts
I have a 742 that i am sending in for a convert to a pump how does it work for you
With Remington Core-lokt 180 grain Jacketed Soft Point, I can hit a quarter at 100 yards rested on sandbags, with a cold barrel.After it's warm it's a 1 1/2" to 3" M.O.A. gun.

I can put 4 shots into a 6" circle at 70 yards free hand rapid fire. It's close enough for the deer I don't see.

I just found out the LOVE INC store has $1 clothing from 9-1 today, so of course MOM wants to go, and my hunt is delayed until Tuesday, since it'll be warm today and my minivan needs sanding and paint still.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Depends on what I'm hunting. For Whitetail, it also depends on the season. I used a reproduction Kentucky Long Rifle (.50 cal) this year for muzzle-loader season, and intend to use it again if I fill my buck tag early enough in the regular rifle season. For center-fire rifles, I plan on using my SCAR 17S (.308), as well as my Lee-Enfield No 4 MKI (.303 Brit) when regular rifle season opens up next month.

For varmit hunting, such as coyotes, I typically use either the SCAR 17S or SCAR 16S (5.56).

·
Registered
231 Posts
I don't do much large game with gun. Only on a rare occasion will I hunt the any sex season. When I do I prefer a modle 92 in .44 mag. I don't hunt during the shotgun season, so its mostly bow. Small game obviously .22, and bird I hunt with an 870.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Thats a fairly open question...it depends on what I'm hunting. For small game, rabbits and such a Ruger 10/22, Birds and upland game an Ithica 12ga. Big game a Ruger .308. and for predators like coyotes and wolves the Mini 14...

·
Registered
264 Posts
We can only use shotgun here for whitetail... Hubby uses 1100 Rem. 12 ga. And I use 870 Rem. Wingmaster 20 ga. Hubby got a beautiful 8 pt. yesterday with 20 inch spread...

·
Registered
436 Posts
We can only use shotgun here for whitetail... Hubby uses 1100 Rem. 12 ga. And I use 870 Rem. Wingmaster 20 ga. Hubby got a beautiful 8 pt. yesterday with 20 inch spread...
You know I didn't even think of my shotguns because I've not used a shotgun for hunting since I moved out of Florida. I have a 20ga and 12ga both SxS double barrels that I use now for cowboy action shooting though both could hunt also.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts