Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Go around town while there is a shortage on ammo and see what others around you are stockpiling and do the same. You can also sell some of your extra ammo while people are lining up fighting to buy it, then re invest the money into other preps

·
Registered
335 Posts
You can find ammo online - just need to do a little research. I put in about 5-10 mins online every other day and have plenty stocked up. Right now, I sell any extra ammo I pick up.

22lr ammo is in the 30 cent per round range right now. That is $150 for a brick of 500. I have 10-12 bricks I picked up for $25 each. I have sold my extra bricks for $75-$85 in the past few weeks. That money goes right back into my prepping.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Go around town while there is a shortage on ammo and see what others around you are stockpiling and do the same

I also buy much of mine online.

As for the above, I am thinking of taking a different approach. 30-30, 30-06, and 300 WIN is pretty easy to find at most stores in my area. I'm thinking of getting something one one of those calibers, so I won't have to 'fight' so much for ammo stock. The standard 9mm, 22lr, 223, and 308 sells like hotcakes, even online. Sometimes I can't even finish checking out and it's already sold out from underneath me (especially when it's a good price.)

·
Super Moderator
8,628 Posts
I also buy much of mine online.

As for the above, I am thinking of taking a different approach. 30-30, 30-06, and 300 WIN is pretty easy to find at most stores in my area. I'm thinking of getting something one one of those calibers, so I won't have to 'fight' so much for ammo stock. The standard 9mm, 22lr, 223, and 308 sells like hotcakes, even online. Sometimes I can't even finish checking out and it's already sold out from underneath me (especially when it's a good price.)
When I recently bought a Ruger American, I went with the intent of getting a .308. Ammo availability 1st, then power 2nd helped me make my choice. 30.06 is not cheap but it is available and I am picking it up a few boxes at a time. Several places like luckygunner sell it in 200 round packages also.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah I look online but I can't find the type of 9mm and 5.56 online I want to stock up on for myself. I have bought and sold ammo I find in shops because I get there early and go often, plus save on shipping cost. I have made some "serious coin" selling ammo and buying silver while precious metals are down

·
Registered
50 Posts
When I recently bought a Ruger American, I went with the intent of getting a .308. Ammo availability 1st, then power 2nd helped me make my choice. 30.06 is not cheap but it is available and I am picking it up a few boxes at a time. Several places like luckygunner sell it in 200 round packages also.
Sounds like what I will be planning... if I can't get 308 easily it may be time to go with a 30.06 that is reliable yet not overly expensive. How is the Ruger?

·
Super Moderator
8,628 Posts
Sounds like what I will be planning... if I can't get 308 easily it may be time to go with a 30.06 that is reliable yet not overly expensive. How is the Ruger?
I have been too busy to take it to the range yet. Hopefully I can go there in the next week or two.

The other reason I choose 30.06 is it too is a popular round. It's just not a popular as .308.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have been too busy to take it to the range yet. Hopefully I can go there in the next week or two.

The other reason I choose 30.06 is it too is a popular round. It's just not a popular as .308.
Thanks- I'll be keeping an ear out for any experiences and an eye out for a good deal. Not in a super fast hurry to purchase in this market!

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
The only thing I've seen really out of line is 223. Yes 22LR, 308 and 9mm are a little higher but not like 223. That stuff went from 300/325 per 1000 to 650/750.

I guess diversity is a good thing. 45 ACP has not moved much; and while I abandoned the caliber a few years back I've decided I might pursue it again. Low end
1911's are under $500 (GI Models) or just over $500 with some features (Rock Island Armory) and relatively available compared to some other things. I'll probably
get one in the next few months and stock up on at least 300/400 rounds of 45 ACP.

The one thing I don't want to get caught short of next time is primers. I had about 1000 and have reloaded 600 since this all began but they've doubled in price
too. When things return to normal I'll stock on at least 10k of those little buggers.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Luckily I was able to stock up a bit before all this, but not enough so that I have any extra to sell. It just takes a little extra looking, but it is there to find, unfortunately not at the prices before though!

·
Registered
85 Posts
My USP and Fed Ex guys hate me from a couple month worth 150 pound shipment every couple weeks. I am still stocking up on .38 Super HP as I found a supplier.

Karsten

·
Registered
855 Posts

I wouldn't say .30-06 is less popular than .308, it's just not as popular with preppers or the guys stockpiling ammo. Most of those people see it as a hunting round which it does very well but it did start life as a military round. I think popularity of the rifles themselves are very comparable but semi-auto rifles are mostly chambered for the .308 (the exception being the Garand which is no longer built). Personally if I was buying a bolt gun I'd go .30-06 over the .308 just due to the fact that it would do better with bullets weights over 180gr. There is nothing a .308 can do that the .30-06 can't. I think your selection of the .30-06 was a wise choice especially in the current ammunition drought and the ammunition will be available everywhere after the drought is over.

-Infidel

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just picked up a 3006 in a multigun purchase last week and thought about selling it. After what you all discussed, I think I am going to hold onto it.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
What suprised me was how many people bought $1000+ guns and didn't have more than a couple 20 rnds boxes for them. When ever I purchased a new gun my next step was to get a good supply of ammo for that gun, I never looked at how much ammo I have, but as how many rnds per gun. if I purchased another 5.56x45 rifle I would purchase more ammo for that rifle. I sold some rifles and the ammo I had for that rifle to friends as a complete package. Anything you purchase from the stores can disappear just as fast as the ammo and guns did. So while so many people were scrambling to find ammo I just thought of it as a good time to sell off my wolf ammo I bought years ago that I decided awhile back that I didn't want as part of my stores.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I reload everything I shoot except for the 22's. Same thing goes for me though; stock up when you can and standardize. I have three calibers of center fire rifles with multiples of each caliber in rifles by the same manufacturer. I have spare parts on hand and more spare parts in the other rifles. I continually search for and buy components (primer/powder/bullets). I have tons of brass in each caliber.

While many can't find ammo to shoot I'm at the range almost every weekend since deer season ended.

Good video, thanks for sharing your thoughts,

1895gunner

·
Registered
855 Posts
This is something I learned the hard way from the current shortage. I need to keep a good supply of components on hand at all times. I don't stockpile large quantities of ammunition, I keep a few hundred rounds loaded generally but I almost always have components on hand to load more. This shortage caught me with my pants down and I am woefully understocked on components. I have been able to find everything I need except bullets, .224" bullets specifically is what I need and they are completely wiped out everywhere I have tried to get them. I have one last place to check tomorrow on my way home from work but if they've got them I'll end up paying quite a bit more than I would have anywhere else (his prices are notoriously high). When things get back to normal I plan to spend a significant amount to stockpile components and am planning a large scale purchase of primers and powder for me and a few friends that load. I plan to order 48lbs of powder and 75lbs worth of primers to get the most of the hazmat fees. Bullets (.224") I'll be ordering in the 5000+ range. I will not be in this position again.

-Infidel

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I've been doing this for a long time and here is my system:
Every Election Day I buy a new fire arm with clips and a thousand rounds of ammo and THEN i go vote. The price always seems to spike after the election, this year I purchased a upgrade Romanian AK47 for $680 (the normal ones were $495) I could sell it for a huge profit but I have several 1200 round cases of ammo and wanted the extra fire power.
IF we make it 2 more years the prices will be down to more sane levels, and you can exercise your right to vote and your right to veto all in the same day.
Anyone here ever heard of the "liberator", it was a single shot .45 pistol dropped to the French resistance in WW2, if your cant get ammo or guns now, learn from history.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I learned some time back, and have reloaded for quite a while. I have minimum 1000 rounds for the handguns 2000 for the Mini and building. I started the .308 in the middle of this mess but doing fair with it.I have a reserve of powder and consumables, do I have enough?, nope.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Well this is what I learned however some quick explanation. First I'm a life time member of the NRA and didn't hear from them over 30+ years. Now as soon as Obama won the first time he ran for office supplies started drying up and this in my opinion was all the propaganda coming out of the NRA. We went about 2 years before supplies got back to pre Obama levels however more guns and ammo bought in that period due to the constant barrage of propaganda out of the NRA. Well at that point I decided to not be caught again by it so stocked up over the next 1.5" years and learned to make my own knowing what would happen next time if he won a second term. Well it has happened so be prepared as before to see prices jump substantially when stock come back. This time it will come back with even a bigger sticker shock but I was prepared and now can produce for my needs for at least the next 2 years easily and with out changing my shooting habits. Those that did, Oh well as the boggy man Obama has been the best thing to happened to gun, ammo, accessories makers and the NRA in decades. It was unfounded last time and is this time as nothing being submitted really has much of a chance of passing as written.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts