Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
7,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't need any more shelf stable pickles. We've got probably about two dozen quart jars already. But the cucumbers keep coming in from the garden. So I went to YouTube for ideas on refrigerator pickles and cucumber chips. I like this RoseRed lady, so I'm going to give her ideas a try today. We'll see how it goes.

Do you have cucumbers? Please LMK what you do to preserve them. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
When we had a large garden wife would make Cuke Kimchi

Different way of pickling them

Reactions: Annie

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I really don't need any more shelf stable pickles. We've got probably about two dozen quart jars already. But the cucumbers keep coming in from the garden. So I went to YouTube for ideas on refrigerator pickles and cucumber chips. I like this RoseRed lady, so I'm going to give her ideas a try today. We'll see how it goes.

You can only do so much. Preserving them is one thing - going through the labor of doing it too is something to consider, including the space needed to store them -
but, will you actually eat them? That's the question.
I'm speaking from experience when I froze so many plum tomatoes, but can only use so much. They occupied a lot of space in the freezer. I ended up throwing a lot of them.
Space is a valuable "commodity" to us preppers. :)

Give them away.
Perhaps local food banks welcome fresh produce.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
@Real Old Man Is it going to kill the recipe if I leave the salted shrimp it out?
No. Make to your taste. I drive wifee nuts by adding honey in recipes that I use kimchi in
@Real Old Man Is it going to kill the recipe if I leave the salted shrimp it out?
Nope. I'd make it to a taste that you like. I drive my inlaws nuts by putting honey in dishes they have on a repeated basis. Drives then crazy trying to figure out what's in them

Reactions: Annie

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
7,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can only do so much. Preserving them is one thing - going through the labor of doing it too is something to consider, including the space needed to store them -
but, will you actually eat them? That's the question.
I'm speaking from experience when I froze so many plum tomatoes, but can only use so much. They occupied a lot of space in the freezer. I ended up throwing a lot of them.
Space is a valuable "commodity" to us preppers. :)

Give them away.
Perhaps local food banks welcome fresh produce.
Thanks, but I think they only take nonperishables around here? So I'll preserve them anyway. I don't want them to go to waste and I can always give them to friends and family if need be.

We may plant a few less cukes and a few more of something else next year.

But it's a good idea to have extra because you never know when you'll have a bad year for one thing or another. For example last year the man planted a lot of yellow squash and got almost nothing for it. This year he moved the squash to another part of the garden and we hauled in a ton.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Thanks, but I think they only take nonperishables around here? So I'll preserve them anyway. I don't want them to go to waste and I can always give them to friends and family if need be.

We may plant a few less cukes and a few more of something else next year.

But it's a good idea to have extra because you never know when you'll have a bad year for one thing or another. For example last year the man planted a lot of yellow squash and got almost nothing for it. This year he moved the squash to another part of the garden and we hauled in a ton.
I found this relish recipe. It looks good.

12 cucumbers, peeled
4-5 onions
2-1/4 cups of granulated white sugar (1 lb)
2-2/3 cups white vinegar
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 tsp. turmeric

·
Registered
1,088 Posts

Also chutneys!

APPLE-TOMATO-CUCUMBER CHUTNEY

Ingredients:

3 cups apple cider vinegar
4 cups peeled, diced tart green apples
10 cups diced tomatoes
3 cups brown sugar
2 cups diced cucumber (peeled if waxed)
1 ½ cups diced red onion
1 ½ cups diced red capsicum
1 cup sultanas
1 red chilli, finely diced (optional)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Prepare jars.
Cover jars with water and bring to a boil, boiling for 10 minutes. Once the time is up, turn the heat off and leave jars in the hot water until ready to fill.

Combine ingredients in large pan, boil 30-45mins.
Prepare and measure each ingredient, adding them all into your stock pot, bring to a boil then simmer until thickened. If you would like a smooth sauce-like consistency simply pulse it with an immersion blender.

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
7,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@charito thanks. The man's aunties used to make chutneys and chow chow relish. The recipes made me think of them, rest their souls.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts