Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In another thread, we've been talking about building skills now so we are better prepared later. Most of you are probably pretty well off in the skills department, but there is so much more to learn and we'd like to create a discussion about it. Those in the know can chime in with their own experience and advice, helping those of us working on getting in the know.

I'm sort of in a prepping lull right now, but I've gotten very much back into spinning yarn on both the spinning wheel and drop spindle. I discovered that I can spin while I'm working at night, so the time flies by and I'm having a blast. While it's more of a hobby -- a very soothing, meditative like hobby--, someone has to know how to make clothes if there are no factories and wool is a great basic cloth item. I'm also getting a lot of yarn made to store up for later.

So, what skills are you working on now that will help you in a SHTF kind of future?

·
Registered
900 Posts
In another thread, we've been talking about building skills now so we are better prepared later. Most of you are probably pretty well off in the skills department, but there is so much more to learn and we'd like to create a discussion about it. Those in the know can chime in with their own experience and advice, helping those of us working on getting in the know.

I'm sort of in a prepping lull right now, but I've gotten very much back into spinning yarn on both the spinning wheel and drop spindle. I discovered that I can spin while I'm working at night, so the time flies by and I'm having a blast. While it's more of a hobby -- a very soothing, meditative like hobby--, someone has to know how to make clothes if there are no factories and wool is a great basic cloth item. I'm also getting a lot of yarn made to store up for later.

So, what skills are you working on now that will help you in a SHTF kind of future?
That is awesome.. are you dying your wool now or will it be dyed later when it is made into something? I had an interest in spinning at one time but never had the chance to try, but did learn to crotchet and knit some pretty awesome stuff. Don't have time for it anymore except to fix a dropped stitch for an occasional patient who cant see good enough anymore.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most of what I have is dyed already but I have some natural stuff that will either knit up undyed or get it after spinning. It's pretty as it is, but I want to try my hand at natural dyes.

Spinning is such a great way to relax at the end of the day, too. I had a rough day the other day and couldn't stop thinking about my wheel so I gave up on work and started spinning. I could just feel the tension melting away. I keep my drop spindle in the kitchen so when I'm cooking and have wait time I can just pull it out and spin a few minutes.

I never could get crochet. I think because my mom was left handed trying to teach me, a rightie. So I gave up and just stick to knitting. Crochet is much quicker though. What kind of things do you make?

·
Registered
900 Posts
I met a new prepper friend the other day and she has introduced me to the idea of growing some special herbs in my garden. No not wacky weed, rather a special something that can be given as a tea or mixed into food when invaders come to dinner that will eliminate the enemy with out firing a weapon.

That is my next project. Got to get back and talk to her and find out the details soon and start planning.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a really interesting idea. I wonder if you'd need to keep it protected so critters/kids didn't take a nibble.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Most of what I have is dyed already but I have some natural stuff that will either knit up undyed or get it after spinning. It's pretty as it is, but I want to try my hand at natural dyes.

Spinning is such a great way to relax at the end of the day, too. I had a rough day the other day and couldn't stop thinking about my wheel so I gave up on work and started spinning. I could just feel the tension melting away. I keep my drop spindle in the kitchen so when I'm cooking and have wait time I can just pull it out and spin a few minutes.

I never could get crochet. I think because my mom was left handed trying to teach me, a rightie. So I gave up and just stick to knitting. Crochet is much quicker though. What kind of things do you make?
I had the whole family and every one else who came within arms reach outfitted with sweaters of all kinds. was really getting into the fishermen's cable and knitting designs and pictures into them before I had to quit. Lots of baby outfits and layettes.

crocheted tons of blankets but that's about it for that, to me that was harder to form into something.

·
Registered
900 Posts
That's a really interesting idea. I wonder if you'd need to keep it protected so critters/kids didn't take a nibble.
yes I'm sure for the kids, don't know about the animals but I have special place for it anyway.....The neighbors yard! what could be better? 10 acres of trees that gets logged once about every 10 years otherwise untouched.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Chicken raising. I've had pets before, so I'm not new to taking care of living creatures. But to take care of a living creature that will provide food to sustain me, is kind of scary. It really is a skill. I've been reading and apparently there are different foods for different life stages, with different protein levels and such. I always though just give them some food, and they pop out an egg. But even the length of the day affects them.

Glad I'm doing it now. Better than if SHTF and I happen across a hen or 2. I'd be kinda lost haha

·
Registered
900 Posts
Chicken raising. I've had pets before, so I'm not new to taking care of living creatures. But to take care of a living creature that will provide food to sustain me, is kind of scary. It really is a skill. I've been reading and apparently there are different foods for different life stages, with different protein levels and such. I always though just give them some food, and they pop out an egg. But even the length of the day affects them.

Glad I'm doing it now. Better than if SHTF and I happen across a hen or 2. I'd be kinda lost haha
I feel the same way Kevin.. I would rather make my mistakes now while I'm not entirely dependent on what I produce to keep me alive.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Gardening and raising chickens are what I am researching now. I tried a garden a couple of seasons ago and it was an epic fail.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Chickens are coming in the spring, so I've been following all of your threads on that subject pretty closely. Our current priority is changing our diets; we're looking at everything we eat, and watching for things that are wildly unnatural or entirely processed. If it doesn't naturally occur, or the ingredients don't naturally occur (at least for the most part) then we want to remove it from our pantry. There's enough chemicals out there, and we've become too comfortable with using things to do everything from adding color to smells. Nobody knows what they're really doing, most things went through a basic testing process and were assumed to be "good enough".

Death by Rubber Ducky is a really good book, btw.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have been doing a lot of shooting lately. My husband was in the military for a few years, so he doesnt need a whole lot of training, but I do. I know how to shoot, load, aim, all that stuff... I just need practice, it is not 2nd nature to me like it is for him. Ive been a successful hunter, but thats because I am patient, lol. I dont know if I could shoot "on my toes"

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I met a new prepper friend the other day and she has introduced me to the idea of growing some special herbs in my garden. No not wacky weed, rather a special something that can be given as a tea or mixed into food when invaders come to dinner that will eliminate the enemy with out firing a weapon.

That is my next project. Got to get back and talk to her and find out the details soon and start planning.
Nightshade is a wonderful thing..lol Unless your animals get into it..

·
Registered
900 Posts
Nightshade is a wonderful thing..lol Unless your animals get into it..
I have actually discover there are a lot of plants in my yard already that are deadly....daffodils for example. eat the bulb you dye quickly. I now remember hearing a story about bulbs being mistaken for onions and eaten. all died within a few minutes.

I'm thinking this is a good piece of knowledge to have if some unwanted guests come to dinner........could even make up some special cookies or something

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I have learned to weld and I'm learning to gunsmith and machine parts as needed. I already grow much of my own food and do all my own repairs on everything around the house as well as my vehicles. I think anyone that is a prepper has been doing preps for most of their life, I know I have and learned most from my parents.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I have actually discover there are a lot of plants in my yard already that are deadly....daffodils for example. eat the bulb you dye quickly. I now remember hearing a story about bulbs being mistaken for onions and eaten. all died within a few minutes.

I'm thinking this is a good piece of knowledge to have if some unwanted guests come to dinner........could even make up some special cookies or something
You don't like guns but you alright with poisoning people...wow liberal logic at it's best.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have learned to weld and I'm learning to gunsmith and machine parts as needed. I already grow much of my own food and do all my own repairs on everything around the house as well as my vehicles. I think anyone that is a prepper has been doing preps for most of their life, I know I have and learned most from my parents.
Exactly! I grew up with a garden, I moved out and started my own garden.. I know a lot of carpentry, just grew up with it.. I am very good with homesteading, I was raised on a small hobby farm... Unfortunately, I havent started my own farm yet, but lord willing, I will have one before i am 25.

Reactions: kevincali

·
Registered
900 Posts
You don't like guns but you alright with poisoning people...wow liberal logic at it's best.
Mean green find the post where I have said I didn't like guns please and repost is for me....you and several other seem to like to twist every thing I saw so back it up. I have several guns and have been had guns of some sort most of my life.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Mean green find the post where I have said I didn't like guns please and repost is for me....you and several other seem to like to twist every thing I saw so back it up. I have several guns and have been had guns of some sort most of my life.
I just don't think shooting my neighbor is the answer to solving the mess we are in.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I just don't think shooting my neighbor is the answer to solving the mess we are in.
And that means I don't like guns?.....or is it that I don't think shooting every one is going to solve the mess we are in? we can't kill every one and I don't want to try. Maybe you do, I don't know. I would rather be working on trying to fix the way we live than finding ways to die.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.