Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

What should Leon buy now that the winch is gone?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
23,899 Posts
The bike.

Now, start a thread on what you are doing, nowadays. While it's true that I can't ban you, I can delete your posts! You claim you are a yarn-spinner in the movie industry in Atlanta and we really need a delightful distraction from today's news.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
Well the mini truck can keep bugs out or keep bugs in. Looks like a win/win situation.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
Well the bald faced hornets are out. Flies are starting, ticks are a mofo, 'skeeters are starting. I'll take a AC cab any day and smile as I'm downing a cold one.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Rokon!!! That thing is so high up my wish list. What they can do, not just on a mountainside either, is incredible.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Have owned 2 Rokons a old 2 stroke bee and a newer one with a Kohler 6 hp. Don't buy one. They look like great fun and they are for a day or so. Until you get over duck walking around at 20MPH. Make sure you demo one before you drop the coin. WAY over rated and over priced, IMHO.

Buy the Argo. It's the only true go anywhere rig. Which can do things and go places the others can only dream of. Like into the middle of the lake and out the other side.

·
Banned
20,845 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,072 Posts
What does this new mode of conveyance need to accomplish?

If you have water with fishies, I'd be partial to the aquatic option. No dragging a boat down to the bank. Just drive on in!
Plus that roll-bar/rack can double as a .50BMG mount.
:tango_face_grin:

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The bike.

Now, start a thread on what you are doing, nowadays. While it's true that I can't ban you, I can delete your posts! You claim you are a yarn-spinner in the movie industry in Atlanta and we really need a delightful distraction from today's news.
Here's one- beef jerky is a cow raisin. Discuss.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Depends on your physical ability and prepping plans. While I'm thankful my UTV had a roll cage when I flipped it and broke a bone we now have two ATVs for work around the property. I love two wheels when up in the twisty hills on pavement but for off road I want 4 wheels. And when a 20 minute ride is required to cool off after hard day's work is needed the ATV is a lot more fun than the UTV ever was. One of the ATV's has also been flipped but handled it much better with only minor damage and I was able of kick off to avoid another broken bone.

For prepping purposes an ATV has better fuel mileage, can pull a trailer ect., and go faster that a UTV to escape if ever needed. I pull a 5' long dump bed behind my ATV with no problems.

As I said it all depends on what you're looking to use it for. Define your needs. Add a bit of what you want to that thought. Choose what is a reasonable choice.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HAHA no I did a write up about it but when I went to post it had timed me out. Lost the whole thing. Basically I was just looking for something new got a wild burr up my craw. Money burning a hole in my pocket. Threw gas on the fire with an added 3 grand, I paid 4 for it like 7 years ago remember?

The gist of it was though it was a chinese bike, and they usually are garbage, it served me well BUT gave me a few pretty stupid problems like the brake light switch and the winch battery drain. I sorted it out but when I went to sell it, noticed most of the rubber on it was trash and it had bad bushings in several spots, kinda seepy on the belly pan. The silver lining was I sold it to a 16 year old girl from Venezuela who has been in the country for just a year. You could clearly see she was trying to put a lid on her joy but alas she's young and her poker face needs work.

It will need upkeep, as does anything, but I hooked her up with my mechanic they sell them, she should be taken care of for not much dough. It'll live on, serving up fun and utility for a whole new story. I'm so glad some bubba didn't show up wanting to snorkel it and see how fast his dumb ass can break it. It was my legs for a long time and I do miss it. But, in retrospect, no I'll never do another chinese bike. even the top of the lines ones like the winch.

I am currently in talks with a dealer in TN who followed up and told me what I wanted to hear. See, all the calls I have made about these mini trucks to locals are met with frankly piss poor customer service. They act like a man coming at them with several thousand dollars cash is some asshole they can't be bothered to mess with in their very very busy day selling used trucks. That tells me most of their customers come, have a look, kick the tires and waste their time because something isn't right or they smell a rat. Such is the buying climate of mini trucks around here. I guess some people have been told or got in their head that these mini truck imports are a gold mine. They are not. It's like any other vehicle, common conventions apply. Some of these guys pay 2 grand a unit spray some armor all and assume they are made of plated gold and smoked salmon. They are not. They are usually in good enough condition but they can be up to 30 years old.

The dealer in TN who followed up worked to get my attention, had what I requested for the price I was willing to pay. They have a warranty with sale and were not afraid to show detailed photos of everything, even the undersides and engines. That smacks of a lot more honesty than these jokers in Cleveland GA. I think I'll go with them, they will deliver for a small fee and it's one and done.

The truck is a daihatsu (toyota) hijet climber with most of the options they came with driveline wise. It has A/C, heat and axle lock/difflock. Plus a work light I can split and run a light bar. I am going to give it the same stuff winch had, a little 800w genny, a cool tent hammock with rainfly and all the prepper goodies. I am currently searching for these canopies they make for the beds that make them look like little micro LMTV (light military tactical vehicle) and do it like a survival shelter, bov, trailer, mobile shop li-obs little teeny military transport-thing.

hik007.jpg

While I search for that, I'm ordering a set of toyo open country trailer tires in that size that will (as I understand it) widen the stance and lift it 2 inches without a lift kit. The hijet is the only one that can do that because of the wheel wells. Cb radio, antenna mast, full gear suite, quiet electric chainsaw, air compressor, tools, rations and ammo, dedicated weapons and it will all be smaller than my little trailer the winch was on. The brush gate I want to do custom with a tow bar on it. they can be towed flat. I'll keep the original wheels and tires as beaters for travelling. it actually weighs less than the winch (680lb) and the trailer (700lb) with a similar payload.

I will also do every light in it with a better LED replacement and wire up some utility stuff. There's actually tapped holes to add a second bracket and alternator, I want to do that.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
That little truck is just too cool to pass up . . .

That thing with all the wheels looks like a caterpillar on steroids, . . . bikes are a buck a dozen, . . . and anyone can get a dirt scrambler.

Get the truck and don't look back.

May God bless,
Dwight

PS: Where do you find that little truck being sold???

·
Registered
11,937 Posts
Get another wench, they make for good bartering during a SHTF event.

Reactions: Leon
1 - 20 of 21 Posts