Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I bought this one: https://www.helikon-tex.com/en_eur/mo-m02-cd-modular-individual-med-kit-pouch-cordura.html
It look nice a outer and a inner Bag. :tango_face_grin:
I need just something when I visit some bigger Events where the change of some US Undet Terrorist Group Attack innocent People.

From time to time I help Ladys when the wear unhealthy shoes and get some cut or bleeding.

So I just looking for some Firstaid Stuff for 2 different Case:
a) Someone have sever Injuries who I can tread (well if someone get hit by a Train and there organs fly around sure I dont play Tetris and try to fix it). But tread shot, granate explosion (that happen in Sweden from time to time :vs_shocked:) and stabbing until the Ambulance arrive.
Well for that celox came in mind?

b) the other think is small injuries like I mention before. A Lady with flipflops who have just a cut or such harmless thinks who not even a doctor must be visit.
I just thinks about alcohol wipes and plaster?! Medical Disinfection thinks?

What should I also put into when you keep a) and b) in mind?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
11,025 Posts
If you aren't trained in using trauma equipment, you risk screwing things up and making the situation worse. If you aren't trained, stick with the simple things.
Celox and Quickclot are great. I know both come in a granule form, and that Quickclot has bandage options as well. These can work for stopping moderate to heavy blood flow when used with pressure bandages.
Z-fold bandages
Bloodstopper bandages
gauze pads (4in/10.1cm or larger)
gauze wrap
self-adhering wrap (the kind that isn't sticky, but clings to itself)
chest seals for closing sucking chest wounds (always in pairs in case of full through penetration to put one on entry wound and one on exit wound)
tourniquets (know the proper way to use them or you risk making things worse)
basic bandages ("plasters")
SAM splint (for stabilizing a broken limb)
rubber/nitrile gloves
cutting shears (for removing clothing)
burn gel
"moleskin" (for blisters) (duct tape works well too)
alcohol swabs/iodine swabs

*** IF TRAINED AND KNOW THE FUNCTION ***
nasal-pharyngeal kit (for opening a blocked airway)
chest decompression needle (for relieving tension pneumothorax)

Understand that you will NOT be able to treat everyone in a mass casualty situation. You shouldn't expect to. Triage and apply care to the ones that are as close to healthy and mobile as possible, but not quite. Wasting equipment on somebody who's head is split open to the skull, or is burned over their entire body, won't do any good. If people can move on their own, just get them to leave the area and wait for emergency services. You are looking for the folks with bleedouts, holes, cuts, burns, or broken limbs, but appear to be conscious and able to live if any care is given.
You won't save everyone. Save who you can.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Last week I would have thought about medicine (especially for those with diabetes), cotton balls, about 100 feet of bandages, sterile soap, etc.

Then the forum blade-heads and I did some experimenting with stainless tools which might be needed for an emergency tracheotomy. The costs floored us--for one tool. Imagine the cost of several pairs of forceps!

And all of this has to be packed like anything else, you know, "travel right travel light."

·
Registered
12,501 Posts
Think about how big of a bag are you carrying. You may pack different for a few hour jaunt in the woods, your car, your home or bugging out. The longer you will be away or potentially be away the more stuff becomes necessary. Medical is important. Blistered feet, poison ivy, insect repellent, gun shot wounds, broken bones, infections, diarrhea, as well as medication taken daily. Bandages, splints hand disinfectant. Plus so much more.

·
Registered
12,501 Posts
Reactions: NewRiverGeorge

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
11,025 Posts
short replay. There is a German Med. Shop who offer me many produts.
How about that: https://www.sammedical.com/products/sam-chest-seal
Does it require a chest decompression needle?
Yes, those are great.
No, you do not need a needle.
Presuming the person hasn't been suffering with a chest cavity filling with air for 30 minutes or more, they should not need a decomp needle. A seal on the wound(s) to allow air out and prevent air in should work fine. (those chest seals)
A decomp needle is more for those times when the lung has been punctured by a rib bone, and no external hole is present to let the air escape. Concussion blasts can cause this type of internal damage, and is not easily diagnosed at first.

·
Registered
567 Posts
short replay. There is a German Med. Shop who offer me many produts.
How about that: https://www.sammedical.com/products/sam-chest-seal
Does it require a chest decompression needle?
First I want to give you thumbs up for wanting to assemble the first aid kit. As I am sure you are aware, having the necessary items on hand can mean life or death. However, let me reinforce what Kauboy and Camel said, please make sure you are trained AND comfortable in the item(s) use. The last thing you want to do when trying to find the correct intercostal space is drop a lung with that chest decompression needle.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
First thing to do:

Make a list of the things you are qualified to do. Most people don't get much past the band aid, neosporin, and aspirin, . . . and often fail on the aspirin (forget to find out if the patient is allergic to aspirin as many folks are).

Once you have determined what YOU CAN DO, . . . get the equipment and supplies that allow you to do those things.

As you educate up, . . . ad stuff to the kit, . . . that way you will always be useful.

As far as the powdered "bleed stop" stuff, . . . prepare to get your head knocked off if you pour that in an open wound, . . . as it is extremely painful. In most cases, . . . a pressure bandage will do every bit as much good, . . . and the folks at the ER won't have to clean up the mess you made with the powder. I asked a professional nurse practitioner who hikes and bikes, . . . his advice was to only use it if you shoot yourself while hunting and you are a long way away from your vehicle. Otherwise it causes as much problem if not more, . . . than it fixes.

My "get home bag" and my shooting bag, for example, . . . have the clotting agent and a tourniquet, . . . but it is quite honestly, . . . more for the other guy than for me. We also have the clotting agent in a trauma bag at church, . . . in case some nut case would come in and get shot.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So everyone I found an online Pharmacy who sell many of the interesting stuff for a good price.
What should I put in my IFAK? I just want to tread minor injuries like a small cut on my Finger who not need any medical attention and sewer injuries who have an immediate urgency to tread my self like a stab wound, shoot wound,... something like that.
:vs_love: THX!

·
Super Moderator
10,168 Posts
So everyone I found an online Pharmacy who sell many of the interesting stuff for a good price.
What should I put in my IFAK? I just want to tread minor injuries like a small cut on my Finger who not need any medical attention and sewer injuries who have an immediate urgency to tread my self like a stab wound, shoot wound,... something like that.
:vs_love: THX!
That is an individual decision. Do a search for kits and find out what's in them. Then pick and choose what you have the ability to adequately use.

·
Banned
Staying alive
515 Posts
Don't bother buying a pre-made kit. In a 150 piece kit you end up with 50 things you could maybe use and 100 things you don't need.

I keep a first aid/trauma kit in a ready to go bag and another identical one in my truck.

One of the items that I haven't seen mentioned that I have several of are Israeli type bandages. They can be used for a ton of different injuries and also on pretty much any part of the body.

Here's what I have in mine.
- 2 Israeli bandages (6" and 4")
-4 rolls of compressed gauze
-10 XL Overnight non-scented pads (extremely absorbent)
-1 Bag of cotton balls
-2 Rolls 3"×15' self-adhesive bandage
-25 Gauze pads 4"×4"
-30 Bandages 3"×3"
-30 Butterfly closures
-100 Multi-size bandages
-4 Xeroform occlusive gauze 5"×9"
-2 Ace bandage rolls 4"×15'
-1 Pouch of Celox 100 grams
-30 Cotton tipped applicators
-2 Rolls of medical tape
-2 Pairs of nitrile gloves
-1 Tourniquet
-1 Bandage shares
-1 Tube of triple antibiotic ointment
-1 Tube of hydrocortisone cream
-1 Disposable ice pack
-1 Small bottle of rubbing alcohol
-1 Small bottle of iodine
-1 Small bottle of hand sanitizer spray
-1 Emergency blanket
-2 Lighters
-2 Packages of emergency fire starter

It sounds like a lot but it's actually pretty compact and fits in a little 20L (I believe) bag.

Wood Floor Bag Flooring Gas

Reactions: Kauboy
1 - 20 of 27 Posts