Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
Local farm and feed store here has bulk seeds where I can buy ounces of seeds for what the seed companies sell you in less than gram packets. The 2016 seeds are now 1/2 price. Many vegetable seeds store for 3 or more years, I stock up on those cheap. I only buy non-hybrid seeds I've planted in the past.

·
Super Moderator
9,503 Posts
Local farm and feed store here has bulk seeds where I can buy ounces of seeds for what the seed companies sell you in less than gram packets. The 2016 seeds are now 1/2 price. Many vegetable seeds store for 3 or more years, I stock up on those cheap. I only buy non-hybrid seeds I've planted in the past.
I'm got seeds started that I bought about 5 years ago. They have been stored in the frig.

·
Registered
904 Posts
We put up a pretty significant garden to feed the family each year. I have all kinds of seeds, some heirloom, some not. Seeds tend to store pretty well if take care of. While I do plan for the future, I recently planted a 1/2 acre of sunflowers just for the heck of it. My family enjoys watching them grow and while it is great to plan for the future, it is important to live in the present and enjoy life.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have a small garden area, but I grow a lot of food in it. It does requires quite some effort to get going on the first place. Some companies sell seeds in cans, they are way cheaper than buying the small packets. I have some fruit trees as well, and does take a few years to start producing.
My best take is to invest in plants you can propagate without seeds (like sweet potatoes, kale), or the greens that regrow after you cut them. As for tomatoes, that little cherry tomatoes grow like weeds around here.
If I had the space, I would have one avocado tree in the garden, those produce a lot of fruit, without much work for me.
And yet, some people think that gardening is too much work. Well, it is a lot of work, but it's worth it.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts