Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have life skills from our parents that we call preps now. What are you doing to pass on these skills to your children? Some of the obvious is teaching them how to shoot. Some things I have done is instead of building a snowman, we built a snow shelter. Power off nights with games by candle light. Gardening, and canning are life long gifts. What are some other skills that you're' going to pass on and have you come up with creative ways to do it?

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Our kids are both adults now, so we have taught them the "real" prepper skills and have given them the unvarnished reasons why they need to know them. (Whether they take our advice seriously or are just humoring us is anybody's guess.) But we have taught them to shoot, make sausage, how to store back a little bit every time they go to the store, how to store different foods for the long term, etc. Mrs Inor has also taught them how to can. Surprisingly, neither one seemed much interested in learning to make cheese? - Go figure... My son-in-law has also shown an interest in learning some skills in my workshop. So I gave him a few tools. We'll see what he does with them.

Mrs Inor's family are hard-core libtards, so we seem to always sit around the holiday table arguing about the Constitution. It may be doing some good because last week at Thanksgiving I heard our younger daughter admonishing my sister-in-law for being a libtard! I am VERY proud of her!

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Its easier for me to say what my father left me; he was the prepper extraordinary. He loved hunting so he bought a parcel of land to hunt on in the early 1970's when the rail roads were selling off their mountain area territories in NV. He bought 2 more the next year after loving the first one he found. A year later he bought the 4th since he had 4 kids and wanted each of us to have one. He was a golf fan and loved the game; so he lived in a condo on a golf course his later years and my sisters wanted that instead of the land so my brother and I got the land they got the condo. My brother and I just bought a 5th section of land near the other 4 and over the last 4 years we've managed to get some of it leveled and tilled into row crop property and lease it out. Thanks Dad. He was also a shooter, being a firearms enthusiast, and he left weapons from my mom's dad and himself to me. My mom left me her fathers coin collection which isn't really a coin collection its a very suitable group of pre 64 coins for an emergency and not much else. Those were the preps left to me and I'm forever greatful to the best parents ever.

Now I have no kids. My wife and I never wanted children and I'm glad we don't have them. I have nearly 30 nephews and nieces on both her side and my side of the family. We are evaluating them all of the time. We want to know which one's are worth our "loot" so to speak and which one's aren't. Eventually I have to decide though the choices get more clear each and every day. My favorite is a niece who took my career in a fedearl law enforcement agency and ehanced it into her own. There are others doing very well and right now if I were to be taken away a small group of 8 of these kids would share in the property, firearms, and numerous other preps. That group could expand or shrink as time goes on. Everything left to me will be left to them, and everything I can add to it between now and then will just make it easier on them. Two of the 8 I suspect have the same attitude as I do - being happy to get something - and making it better for the next group.

·
Registered
855 Posts
My boys are getting a little bit of an education every day, they've been learning to shoot rifles for about a year or so, we started archery this year. They've learned how to catch fish, several methods of fire starting (they loved the steel wool and battery method), they're learning how to hunt, use hand tools and how to cook (indoors and over an open fire). Soon they'll be learning how to reload (if they want to shoot anyway) and we'll start them camping in the spring and summer I think. Generally they just like following me around while I do things so they're absorbing information at an amazing rate.

-Infidel

·
Registered
904 Posts
My kids are all young so this is a topic I have given quite a bit of thought to. So far I am trying to get them to be comfortable in the outdoors, to know how to catch a fish and build a fire. They are at the stage (so am I) were fort building is very fun so we are beginning to make debris shelters to learn wilderness survival skills. That is more of my background than pure prepping anyway. As they get older I will teach them shooting, meal preparation, movement, first-aid and anything else that will help them become more self-sufficient and aware of their immediate and long-term surroundings.

·
Registered
900 Posts
My daughter-in-law who is now 22 told me about a conversation she and my son had a couple years ago. My son just turned 24. she says they were watching tv one night and my son asked her "why do we have two hands?" her reply "I don't know"
He then asks "why do we have two arms?" .....I don't know...
why do we have two feet, two legs, two kidneys, two butt cheeks, two sides of our brain, two eyes, two nostrils, two ears and so on. each time he named off something she said "I don't know"

He finally says to her "this is the way God made us...He made us to be preppers"!

My children have been taught everything I could possibly teach them starting when they were very young. As adults they will make their own choices on how to live but hopefully we can teach them the tools they will need.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Map Reading , Hunting camping, Fishing, Herbalism. Home Remedies..Tracking..Also a more important thing I teach them on a daily basis is to look at everything as recyclable items for alternate uses.. I'm teaching my boys pretty much what I learned in my military career much low key version of course but they enjoy it.. The oldest already talking about ranger school ... Plus they get a kick out of the ranges we go to and learning the weapon systems we have...

Reactions: Meangreen

·
Registered
110 Posts
My parents were suburbanites who worked in factories and best I can tell, they trusted the system would go on forever. The only real prepping/skills they practices was that my mom was way stocked up on the everyday items - food, paper towels, toilet paper, aluminum foil, etc. She was also a good cook. She had a ton of shelving in the garage and basement that she kept things stocked.

My ex-wife and I were on track to do much the same, except without the large stock and she wasn't much of a cook. She mostly does TV dinners, mac and cheese, etc.

My pap loved us to death, but he wasn't an outdoorsman at all, never worked on the vehicles, don't think he did much fixing or building stuff around the house. He worked the factory to bring home the money.

So......a lot of what I'm learning and have learned has been on my own. My kids live with their mom, except on Thursdays and every other weekend. They haven't got a lot up to this point and they are aged from 11-16, so I've still got a lot of work to do.

I do take them camping on occasion, sometimes just out to my 10 acres of paradise for the night.
I take them shooting on occasion, but if the shooting happens at my property, they are more interested in collecting limbs and branches and whatever building materials and piecing together forts (which is just as cool, so I'm fine with that). They know their basic way around firearms, but I can't say they are ready to carry on a routine basis.
My boy (the oldest) and my older girl can start a fire.
I've taught my older girl to sew by hand.
My ole' lady and I are teaching my girls to cook, but I think they only see this when they are with me - pretty sure Mom still doing TV dinners, Ramen noodles, and Mac and Cheese from the box.

The one thing I'm doing is constantly planting the seed of needing to be ready for anything and have all the skills you can get. I think they are all understanding this.
My older girl is absorbing more than the other two and is more interested in learning the stuff I teach them.

Little by little, trying to do more for them. I didn't get much prepping from my parents, but I've learned what I know on my own and trying to make the next generation more ready.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.