Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I am using the Vortex Strikefire red dot. I got this because of the price factor. I figured it would do me until I got an Eotech. Now I am considering a scope. I thought I would see what you are using and why.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
im an iron sights kinda girl, but in 30 seconds i can switch over to my burris on a burris prepp mount. the whole set up for that was about 400.00 but i do very well with iron sights. upto 250 yrds. then at that point i switch ammo and sights.

on my 10/22 rig i have a tasco with burris rings

·
Super Moderator
9,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Iron sights are a little tough for me, getting old. I am changing the sights on my XD to Trijicon tritium next week. Getting harder to see the old ones.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Scopes and sights are two different things.
Hard to beat a good Red Dot for fast reflex fire at ranges of 0-300 meters, with a bit of range time nothing is faster or produces more hits. After that a good 4X32 that you know how to dial in becomes a useful tool.
ACOG is as good as it gets but out side most check books. You can do just fine with a mid level 4X32. An AR with a good rail system allows you you swap in and out sites and scopes and keep your zero.
No sight or scope is of much use it you do not understand how to use it. You must work on quick range estimation if you want to hit targets in the real work.
A good AR can hit targets at 600 meters even with open sights in the right hands and it is not a hard as you think. Yes one heck of a drop but it can be dealt with. This type of fire in not about tack driving shots it is about hit muiltable targets quickly.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I can still hit where I want with irons and still leave my rifles unscoped for the most part. I've still got good eyesight though and depth perception. Later it may change but at 40 it hasn't. I prefer hooded sights though as there much faster to acquire with than old style winged sights for me where you spend more time in alignment. Hooded your just aligning the circle in the circle which after a while you do naturally and putting the post on target. Not that different than red dot only you don't get the low light precision which is why I still like Aimpoints and other illuminated choices. I was raised shooting irons as a boy though and have a hard time not favoring them. You also have a lighter rifle overall which doesn't hurt and irons are tough.

On my AR here, I'm also using a .034 finer post which aids precision over distance and I paint all my sights with Testors fluorescent green paint for better low light acquisition. Like my M1A the A2 rear has excellent distance adjustment for fast and accurate longer range adjustment so adjusting is only seconds once I've estimated range. That doesn't mean perfect, but pretty damn good if you know how to use it.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
MARS this is not your walmart Red dot it produces a fine aim point and clear optics. With some work you will hit more Targets faster than anyone with iron sits can hope to do But you need to understand how to use them first. There is a reason they train reflex fire. This model also has IR laser for night use It can be mounted on a riser to allow use of iron also. Not for everyone but very effective. Another outstanding one is the M68 and cost much less. Both M68 and MARS use single AA no special battery. Once zeroed it can be removed and put back on. Because it is a true Red dot you can do a quick lolly pop zero and be good enough. This one can be switched back to Iron in 30 seconds

Or get nuts cover all the bases Green laser, 4x32 Iron and High lune white strobe, Some times you have to have some fun with this stuff. Or what good is living. Another good reason to have AR platform all the stuff can be switched around any time as needed

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a selection of optics that I use.

EOTECH, Burris XTR, Aimpoint T-1 and H-1 and a Leupold CQ/T.

The best of both worlds is some sort of Red Dot optic and a magnifier. As I have gotten older I find that magnification helps a lot. The Burris is probably my favorite. 1-4 power with illumination on a PEPR mount.

I use a Centerpoint 4-16 for accuracy testing inexpensive but so far a quality optic.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Aimpoint "Patrol Rifle Optic" <$400, haven't had it long but love it so far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Eotech 517 on my good one, The red dot that came on my good one on my M&P 15/22. What optics you use will vary widely depending on usage. Close range, it's hard to beat an Eo for speed with it's wide field of view, with magnifier it's good to 3-400 yards+. The scope I have on my FNAR is actually my best for close and medium ranges 1-4x Trijicon Accupoint. Darn near as fast as my Eo plus can go out to 4x, almost a 100ft field of view at 100yards, tritium and fiber optic reticle. But very pricey. If I had the money this would be on my good AR as well, but it's mostly my 0-300 yard gun anyway.

BigRat

·
Registered
85 Posts
Eotech with 3X Magnifier

Old pic but i just switched the cheap knock off out for a real Aimpoint Comp M3

This one now has a Eotech XPS3

Karsten

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just bought an Armalite AR 10 a few weeks ago, and I ordered a Dark ops Counter Sniper 4 - 16x42mm scope for it.

On my AR 15 I have a Swift 4 - 12x40mm scope on it.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
So it is snowing and slow day Red and green Recital basic 3X30 used with or with out battery MilDot Trees in scope are at 100 yards light snow out
101_5062 [320x200].JPG 101_5063 [320x200].JPG

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I have irons, EOTechs and Nikon 3x9x40s on them. They all have different purposes and the optics reflect their purpose.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a Nikon 4-12X Scope on my Bushmaster rifle, an EOTech holographic sight on my Ruger SR556 AR Carbine along with a "flip to side" 3X magnifier, an ATN 5X Night Vision Scope on one of my DPMS carbines and Yankee Hills irons on my other DPMS carbine. I have another EOTech for my 2nd DPMS carbine but it's not presently installed. On my M14 types, well....that's another matter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts