Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interested in reading what your next must-have prep item is.

Mine is a portable Big Buddy Propane Heater.

They usually go on sale this time of year....

What is on your wish list??

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I want a large cast iron wood/coal stove, with water heater incert

·
Registered
822 Posts

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
My next big purchase will be corn meal and wheat.
we are down to just 100 lbs of corn meal and we only have 250 lbs of wheat left in the pantry.
We got sugar and honey last month along with some canned goods.

·
Registered
425 Posts
For me, items required to produce food are as or more important than mere storage of food, though to an extent both are necessary.

So, traps, ammo, techniques, alternative firepower (slingshot, arrow, etc), gardening and farming equipment, storage (canning supplies, salt, smoker, etc), and ability to procure and produce water are high on my list.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Because of the current political climate all of my investments are presently firearms related. Next is either a Remington 870 tactical or a Mossberg 590 shotgun. I set aside the annual dues to join a local firing range last week ($60.00) and I'm slowly building ammo. I can only afford a box at a time but I recently took the plunge and bought 1K rounds of cheaper 7.62x39 for the AK.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Water is the most important thing in life but once you have that sorted then food and shelter are next.
Some food items that anyone can store - they don't spoil.
1. salt - buy it in bulk bags, not only is it cheaper that way but it is easier to store.
2. Sugar and honey - can't spoil and is available in bulk. Be careful how much you buy from one place though because the ATF tracks large purchases of sugar because it is used to make alcohol.
3. peanut butter - again it doesn't spoil and is a good source of both protein and oil - two necessities in your diet.

The rest require care in storage for large amounts over long periods of time.
Dry goods - Beans, flour, wheat, corn meal all require dark, cool and very dry conditions to store well. We try to keep a years supply on hand at all times.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Actually peanut butter has a short shelf life compared to grains, but good thoughts anyway.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Montana Rancher,
Peanut butter has an expiration date of just over a year, stores at room temperature and doesn't require special conditions. Grains need to stay dry and dark which makes it difficult for some to store. Not everyone has a place to store foods like that in their homes. If grain gets wet it either sprouts or molds, If it has light it may sprout and then mold. Peanut butter is easy compared to the grains and other dry goods. I do store red wheat, corn, and beans but I have a good storage system and the room to do it. Not everyone has.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some very good input from the forum members.

The reason I put this thread out for comment was I thought it would be helpful to see what others are thinking about adding to their piles or stashes, or just putting on their wish lists.

Plus, if you are thinking about a gift for a prepper friend, this might give people some decent ideas.

I just added a swivel rifle bipod to my wish list - went to the range and discovered the wooden tables are actually out of level (so I shot off sand bags instead) but I want a swivel bipod now.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I need lots of stuff: Water filtration system, more ammo! I really don't have much., more food, a hatchet for my BOB - you never know how long it will take to get to the BOL. It all depends on what the scenario is. Plus, hatchet is handy for lots of stuff especially for camping. Sure could have used it on the North Shore this summer. More people to group with. I'm working on finding like-minded people, but it is a very slow process.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts