Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

121 - 132 of 132 Posts

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
6,647 Posts
No doubt. I would also recommend a Kershaw Barge. They can be polished and they have a prying device at the end of the handle.

I sell a lot of them to women and I've seen advertisements for preppers--one where a big tough galoot is stripping wood with a Barge for kindling.

And because it's small and clips to your jeans, you can carry it to most places where a fixed blade might be frowned upon. If you look at the picture of my folded steel knife about to be polished, you'll see a Barge to its left.
Thanks. I'll look into it. $21.00 on Amazon is pretty good. I don't know if it's legal in NJ to carry, but it probably is though since they're calling it a utility knife. I like that it folds.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
lol swordfight only happens on movies and right-holdapers use mini knives.
Oh, of course...
That's why every single military in the history of the world has taught blade work... cuz the movies. Silly me.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Feel free to disregard this, its been a while a since this thread was created and there's a good chance I'm totally wrong but I seem to have an obsession with the Gurkha Kukri.

HIMALAYAN IMPORTS - Khukuris, page 1 : khukuri, kukri, kukris, khukri, kukhri, gurkha, gorkha, gurka, Nepal

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-C...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6Y0VKZP4F1V009E9200E

They are big. They are heavy. The right blade in the right hands can decapitate a person with ease, can chop firewood, can clear brush. They are pretty cool knives!

·
Administrator
15,103 Posts
Feel free to disregard this, its been a while a since this thread was created and there's a good chance I'm totally wrong but I seem to have an obsession with the Gurkha Kukri.

HIMALAYAN IMPORTS - Khukuris, page 1 : khukuri, kukri, kukris, khukri, kukhri, gurkha, gorkha, gurka, Nepal

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-C...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6Y0VKZP4F1V009E9200E

They are big. They are heavy. The right blade in the right hands can decapitate a person with ease, can chop firewood, can clear brush. They are pretty cool knives!
Absolutely. Beats a 3" folder all day long.
There are a lot of cheap, stainless steel kukri's around. I personally would avoid them.
I would like a heavy, thick, carbon steel one.

But every time I get the itch for one, I remember that being a Floridian I have 5 or 6 carbon steel, South American made machetes out in the barn already. Which will pretty much do the same thing.
:tango_face_smile::tango_face_smile:

Reactions: Prepared One

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
Absolutely. Beats a 3" folder all day long.
There are a lot of cheap, stainless steel kukri's around. I personally would avoid them.
I would like a heavy, thick, carbon steel one.

But every time I get the itch for one, I remember that being a Floridian I have 5 or 6 carbon steel, South American made machetes out in the barn already. Which will pretty much do the same thing.
:tango_face_smile::tango_face_smile:
I have a couple of SA Machetes hanging on the garage as well. One I got from my Grandfather when he passed years ago. It's the one I usually grab first when machete work needs to be done. They just seem to be indestructible.

Reactions: rice paddy daddy

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,614 Posts
What makes a good fighting knife? I answer that with, "Can it save my life during an attack?" If it can, then it passes my test.

The ones that I have had.
Fixed Blade:
1. Camillus Fighter
2.Buck Special

Folder:
1.CRKT M16 {I consider it a fighter because: it is so fast to open, it is made like a stiletto, and it is a strong design.}
2. Gerber Gator {It is big and sharp, and it is a good pocket carry fighter.}
I am pretty mundane, and easy to please, and I can put up a furious fight with a folder.:tango_face_smile: But, if a pit bull is involved, or multiple attackers; I would want a fixed blade.

I took a file to the Camillus {it was a K-Bar design} and I got it sharp enough to use as a kitchen knife. I put a better point on it too, and it was a fearsome knife.
I can say the same thing about the Buck Special, it can be turned into a real fighter, and all that it takes, is to sharpen it up.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I don't think most people that are threatening you with a knife actually know how to fight with it, not that I really do either. I'll have to rely on the knowledge I've acquired from Hollywood :vs_laugh:

I'll have a couple smaller fixed blades handy for general use/defense. For my BOB I'm going a little Crocodile Dundee with an Ontario knives CT2 12" saw back machete that will be kept handy.
Not great for stabbing, but it is menacing and should make most rethink their next move, and chances are I'll have one of my smaller knives in my other hand.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
You guys have chosen some good examples for the forum. For example, I thought I was the only one that had a collection of the Barge(s). If memory serves me, and it never does, I think we had the unveiling a time or two ago. But don't let that bother you, this is a knife we all should know about and hopefully own.

Now, let me break into the discussion of Barges, Kukris and your average door stops. Long before most of you were born I was a blade snob. The big deal of that (ahem) "former year" was that nothing seen on TV ever made it to the college dorms. We had the usual collection of "stuff from home." And I won't even discuss what my first stiletto cost! Yikes!

I had the desire to own a folder that had a blade tantamount to a "Bowie Knife." I never warmed to the "butterknife" shape. And the only guys selling knives to kids were comic book paragraphs in cheap tabloids. Fortunately I found the only on-line salesman that would send knives in the mail. I think we marked the box, "Easy, Fine China."

Before I leave, I'd like to add one thing. A member here made reference to Crocodile Dundee. I have only seen that knife in movies. I have lived in Wisconsin all my life, and I have never seen one for sale or display.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think the new Buck GCK (Ground Combat Knife) is a good style of fighting knife.
Or at least the spear point model. It also comes in a Tanto style. The blade is 5.5 inches long . It’s 5160 carbon steel. Overall length is 10 3/4 inches. Comes in a coyote tan or grey .
The tan color knife has a tricolor canvas Micarta handle . The grey knife has G10 handle . It’s a full tang knife.
Although it’s a combat knife it can also preform other survival knife chores fairly well . I have one and I was impressed with it. I have not really done anything with it. I have a Ontario Rat-5 for that stuff. I bought it to put on my gun belt. If it was all I had though ,I would not feel I was lacking or that I could not do any survival task with it.
When I decided to get it it was sold out everywhere. I finally found one I paid $99.99 for mine. Bucks website has it priced for $110. Knifecenter has the grey model listed for $99.99 . The tan GCK is sold out. As with both models from the Buck website are sold out.
Blade HQ has the grey model. SMKW are sold out as well .
The tan Buck GCK seems to be the hardest to get .
Anyway that’s what I would chose for a combat knife . My second knife choice would be Tops knives Missile strike .
It is definitely a combat specific knife for sure.
It was sold out every time I had the money to buy it. Looking for the Tops Missile strike is how I came across the Buck GCK
Hope that helps .
I’m new to the forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
That's why every single military in the history of the world has taught blade work.

I agree. Then again, I happened to be lucky one afternoon.

I had just finished a "lesson" with a real deal trainer who knew all three weapons by heart. As was the time, I had only a foil, but the teacher made sure I saw an epee over time. BTW, I am lousy with an epee. It's heavy, it's slow, and it is usually owned by "fencers" who claim to know everything. You can probably watch epee owners try three different times to get his "weapon" into his sword bag.

Here's another feature, and if this happened to you, do not feel slighted. Learning the epee is slow, determined, deft and often the weapon used in 18th century dueling. It is heavy so that you slow down! You're trying to stick the sword into your enemy, and that's impossible after your enemy has just stuck his weapon into you.

Some guys do not watch! I once made a point on my 'enemy' with one "beat." A beat is a simple slap on your opponent's sword so he over reacts and shows his full chest. BTW, he was the adult trainer for the college classes. I had gotten impatient and he scored several points. The smoke shot out of my ears, until I heard my dearly departed Uncle Jack in my head say, "That teacher is shorter, fatter and uses an epee so old it's about to break."

Yeah, I smirked. Then I saw a small ribbon of white injury tape dangle from the pommel of his epee. I landed the first score quite easily, after all, most college teachers see only lower echelon students going out for a position on the team. When I saw the teacher bear down, I moved my right front foot to the extreme left edge of the mat, making my "target chest" out of bounds. There for a second I thought that egotist would just pull even a better weapon. To my surprise, the teacher just threw caution to the wind with epee stabs, saber-like slashes and highly illegal footing. I stayed cool (somehow), and saw that the teacher was "short enough" just to make a 'head cut' (which landed). The teacher bounced back like he thought he was dreaming. After all, this 'teacher' had never met the 'teacher' who taught us at Menomonee Falls High School.

Yes, every guy I ever met in the military had some form of "facing the enemy." And each one of them suggested I simply imagine them as tackling dummies. If you fear or think you'll get beaten for sure you will lose every time.

I once said to a combatant, "Hey, Smirdley, if I win do I get one of your slick little medals?" The guy was better and should have beaten me and everyone else. He never got the idea of a "lost medal" out of his head. Beat the guy, "5 to 1" when he should have beaten me "0 to 5." Thus endth the lesson.

121 - 132 of 132 Posts