Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

101 - 120 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Can you explain what this means?
Certainly. This dates back to articles that Massad Ayoob wrote during the 1980s. He posed for pictures of knife moves, etc. These were based on training he had taken from Eskrima. Ayoob's knife angle dealt with having an attacker get too close, making a pistol draw harder.

He recommended "fending." And since your strikes would be fast (and probably sloppy) a good sharp knife or tactical pen would back up the attacker. Ayoob also wrote that a sharp knife stuck into an attacker, rotated 180 degrees and slashed out of the wound was often confused by a coroner as a shotgun slug wound.

Ayoob believed in this idea to the extent that he designed his own knife. I have also posted pictures of that knife.

Strangely, Ayoob and I were once on the same forum, and he and I exchanged PMs once he saw my work. He wanted a knife polished, but never sent one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnis

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...e&qpvt=Ayoob+designed+folding+knife&FORM=IGRE

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
If Ayoob is in favor of something, that should tell you you're headed in the wrong direction.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
If Ayoob is in favor of something, that should tell you you're headed in the wrong direction.
Normal people follow up their accusations with additional information. If you have counterpoints, present them.
Otherwise, stop with this one-liner bullshit intended to make you appear smarter than you are.

Damn, you're getting annoying.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Surely you must have breath of the foulest sort, being so full of shite. Honestly, jammed-full-o-dicks, you are one the most pathetic characters I've ever come in contact with, at once both obnoxious and pitiful.
On the one hand you're so stupid and odious that you repel even the best, most compassionate people, but under that stupidity is a pathetic, lonely and isolated old sod, desperately reaching out for attention, any attention.
Truly, do us all a favor, and your self a kind escape, and go die.

Reactions: mdauben and Kauboy

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Oh, I don't mind being challenged on an implement or idea. But I would like to hear the rebuttal. Because of those Ayoob articles, I do carry two knives. One for eating and the other for fending.

Here's my rationale. In most crowds, no one is 21 feet from you. In fact, some thieves, like purse snatchers, try too get as close to you as possible. Just about everyone will back up if sliced or poked with tactical pen. This separation and added time allows you to make a better constructed defensive move.

Ayoob was not the only one espousing this. Evan Marshall and Chuck Taylor were also writing about defensive pistol tactics during this time period.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Tueller means you don't have time.

I've never heard of drawing a different weapon because you don't have time to draw a firearm presented as a solution. Most of what I've seen has been aimed at generating time.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
The drill proffers you can shoot back, in most cases using what is known as "the speed rock." You draw your pistol, leave it at waist height, lean slightly back and fire. In most cases this is a torso hit.

The fending idea is that the attacker has grabbed you or is hitting you and any aimed fire is difficult. Even punching with your non-dominant hand is fending. Any move that buys you time for a draw.

I carry knives that are placed so they can easily be reached. Any slice will back up the attacker, thus buying time. If you get your pistol, get tied up in a scuffle, fire and miss, the advantage of a firearm is over. Your object is to hit, and that means separation.

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
6,647 Posts
Can't carry a gun here so I carry a cheap knife and pepper spray for protection. You never know.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
She linked it in her sentence. A fine little sticker.
I saw the word "knife" underlined, but I did not know it connected to a link.

I polish a lot of the Schrade knives. The most common ones here are the SCHF14 and the SCHF15, which is my favorite. Come to think of it, I have box-stock, unpolished 15 in my knife cabinet.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Poof! I'm back! @The Tourist I've been stropping my blades lately and while my finish isn't mirrored yet, the edges are really sharp. The more I work them, the higher the polish shows. My 5 and BK2 both shave hair easily.
@Kauboy, there is nothing wrong with that Gerber, especially for the price.

Reactions: Kauboy

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Right now I'm working on a folder with a Japanese folded steel blade. It will take me a few days to polish it, but I'll post pictures. It all starts like this...

001.JPG

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ah. Knives! So many choices, so little time!

Guns beat knives. That's why wars are fought with guns.

On the other hand, knives don't make any noise, never run out of ammo, and seldom jam--except maybe in a rib cage or spine, now & then.

Or a skull.

I consider one of the most effective of all "self-defense/combat knives" to be a fencing foil, AKA a "weenie-wire". But not the practice kind with a blunt tip. A fully sharp one.

You actually only need a hand guard (bell) on a foil if you're going up against another swordsman, so the skinny little foil by itself is easy to conceal.

Even a mediocre fencer can easily kill an unarmored opponent in a split second with a foil.

An attacker wearing a bulletproof vest is normally unarmored from the collar up, and thus might as well not be armored at all. Most opponents would probably not even have a vest.

One little poke through the throat, mouth, eye, or just into the face or head in general would probably be enough to do the job.

And there's no rule that says you can't poke on full auto. Or in groups of three.

The fencer also has the unrestrained option to make Swiss cheese out of hands, arms, legs, feet, groins, and the entire front of an opponent's body.

And if that wasn't enough, getting whipped with a weenie-wire is about like getting hit with a bull whip.

One slap across the wrist will take a gun or knife right out of a person's hand. One across the side of the neck will put a attacker flat on the ground.

A foil has more range than any ordinary knife, and the tip literally moves too fast to be seen. No one with a short knife can block a foil, or best someone who has a foil.

Of course, a foil is not well adapted to eating*, carving a leg of lamb, cleaning fingernails, or silently taking out sentries. That's why one should also carry a cute little itty-bitty baby-knife too. Say, in their boot.

A foil is an unconventional approach, but one worth thinking about.

And an old "broken" foil with a raggedly jagged point just fits so nicely under a car seat...

* (Except weenies, marshmallows, and shish-ka-foil.)

·
Administrator
15,099 Posts

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
it is sharp.
No doubt. I would also recommend a Kershaw Barge. They can be polished and they have a prying device at the end of the handle.

I sell a lot of them to women and I've seen advertisements for preppers--one where a big tough galoot is stripping wood with a Barge for kindling.

And because it's small and clips to your jeans, you can carry it to most places where a fixed blade might be frowned upon. If you look at the picture of my folded steel knife about to be polished, you'll see a Barge to its left.

101 - 120 of 132 Posts