Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

81 - 100 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Should add that after Esee classes you find out how big a small knife is.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Should add that after Esee classes you find out how big a small knife is.
And I agree, I owned an ESEE 3 and a Number 5 for years.

I do like corrosion resistance, but liked ESEE's simple design. When Bradford came out with his Guardian 3 and 4 in 3V, I bought one of each.

I'm seeing the design come back in a few of the blade magazines.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
The 4 and izula 2 are becoming my favorites, even though I keep the 5 handy for grunt work.

Reactions: The Tourist

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
We got away from the op again....

If I were going to attach a knife to my lbe with the idea I'm going to battle, it would be the 5.

Reactions: Kauboy

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
If I were going to attach a knife to my lbe with the idea I'm going to battle, it would be the 5.
I'm in the same ballpark. I would choose the Bradford Guardian 4 in 3V, or the TOPS C.U.T. 4.0 for the job.

But I usually carry folders during the "average" day. I completely polished a Ruger 2-Stage Compact. It's a flipper with a skull crusher on the end of the handle.

Depending on how the Mcusta turns out (UPS is bringing it tomorrow) I might lug that for tests.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
In the spirit of the op I should have explained, but a yearling child hopped on my lap yesterday.

The 5 has a thick, beefy blade that won't bend under most conditions. A nice point for penetration and a non slip grip with a formed in hand guard. I wouldn't consider it a slicer due to its thickness, but it has a glass breaker on the pommel and would open up a hellatious big wound channel if rammed into a soft underbelly. It weighs a pound, which sucks for added weight when carrying, but gives you that added force if needed to drive in or crush a skull.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Coastie dad, I have a picture of my polished Number 5 in my records somewhere, but I wanted to show you just how sharp you can get an ESEE. It's very good carbon steel, and the new plant they created looks like something out of NASA.

If I find the Number 5, I'll post that, too.

001.JPG

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
This guy does a remarkable job in testing field knifes. And by testing I mean anhilating.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCReKyb0rO1E2Leamipn7Yfg/playlists

Based on his videos and a other reviews my "go to" knife is the Cold Steel GI Tanto...with the hope that I never need to go to it. In my opinion you cannot buy a better hunk of sharpened steel for $25. I stippled the handle of mine. It's a nasty nasty piece of high carbon that I'd put up against just about anything.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I appreciate the Esee recommendations! I had started looking online at the 6 not two days ago.

I'm here to give an update.
I took a trip to our local knife shop, and then to our local Cabela's to see what was available.
I was looking for the CRKT OC3 I mentioned, but had all kinds of alternatives in mind too, including the Esee series.
All I can say is, this area sucks for finding quality knives. Both places, that easily carry the largest selection of knives in the Fort Worth area, were lacking on all fronts.
The OC3? Nowhere to be found. Ka-Bar 7" tanto? Sold out everywhere. Entire Esee series carried at Cabela's? Discontinued from my local store.
The only one I could find, that I'd had my eye on, was the Gerber Strongarm. As mentioned, it's a 420HC steel 4.8" single edged blade with a full tang through the handle, which is overmolded with glass-filled polymer and a diamond patterned rubber coating. Very grippy and solidly held in either the sabre or reverse grips.

I did end up buying that one, since it was 30% off. Not the best option, but the best I can find for now. The included sheath was designed to be lashed horizontally on a belt, hanging from the belt with a loop, or affixed to Molle webbing. I have to say, it affixed to my Molle extremely well. No wiggle, and easy to attach and detach.
For now, this thing will fit the bill until I can make an excuse to travel 2 hours to the other Cabela's on the other side of Dallas. Apparently they still have their Esees in stock.
I had already kinda decided on getting this one, even if I also found one of the others. The price was right, at $52.
While it does have a pointed striking pommel, it doesn't have the blade thickness or mass of the Esee, which I think would work well for delivering a blow.

The edge was sub-par, so I took care of that. Shaves hair now.
I can't see how pretty I look in it, but that was never the goal.
:vs_smirk:
@Urinal Cake, do you have a means to acquire that OC3, and can you beat the Amazon price of $79?

·
Super Moderator
9,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
I'd say it works well with the existing kit. Not too big. I don't hit myself when drawing it.
kit1.jpg
Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
I appreciate the Esee recommendations! I had started looking online at the 6 not two days ago.

I'm here to give an update.
I took a trip to our local knife shop, and then to our local Cabela's to see what was available.
I was looking for the CRKT OC3 I mentioned, but had all kinds of alternatives in mind too, including the Esee series.
All I can say is, this area sucks for finding quality knives. Both places, that easily carry the largest selection of knives in the Fort Worth area, were lacking on all fronts.
The OC3? Nowhere to be found. Ka-Bar 7" tanto? Sold out everywhere. Entire Esee series carried at Cabela's? Discontinued from my local store.
The only one I could find, that I'd had my eye on, was the Gerber Strongarm. As mentioned, it's a 420HC steel 4.8" single edged blade with a full tang through the handle, which is overmolded with glass-filled polymer and a diamond patterned rubber coating. Very grippy and solidly held in either the sabre or reverse grips.

I did end up buying that one, since it was 30% off. Not the best option, but the best I can find for now. The included sheath was designed to be lashed horizontally on a belt, hanging from the belt with a loop, or affixed to Molle webbing. I have to say, it affixed to my Molle extremely well. No wiggle, and easy to attach and detach.
For now, this thing will fit the bill until I can make an excuse to travel 2 hours to the other Cabela's on the other side of Dallas. Apparently they still have their Esees in stock.
I had already kinda decided on getting this one, even if I also found one of the others. The price was right, at $52.
While it does have a pointed striking pommel, it doesn't have the blade thickness or mass of the Esee, which I think would work well for delivering a blow.

The edge was sub-par, so I took care of that. Shaves hair now.
:vs_smirk:

@Urinal Cake
, do you have a means to acquire that OC3, and can you beat the Amazon price of $79?
I think you'll like it...tough knife.

I modified the sheath somewhat like this chap did....the rubber around the connection point and added a pouch to the front.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
A survival knife should have a little "tooth" to the edge, but still be sharp.. The Japanese call this a "kirinaga" edge.

A knife carried for fending or defense should be polished, so every slice backs up the attacker.

·
Super Moderator
9,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·

·
Super Moderator
9,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
"Oooooh...sharp knife. Maybe I should rethink this" :vs_laugh:
I mean, I polished the slide of a gun once to a mirror finish... but it didn't make it any sharper.
Maybe I'm missing something, but does a polish change the effectiveness of the cut? The edge is the only thing doing the cutting, not the bevel.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
I mean, I polished the slide of a gun once to a mirror finish... but it didn't make it any sharper.
Maybe I'm missing something, but does a polish change the effectiveness of the cut? The edge is the only thing doing the cutting, not the bevel.
The edge also gets polished.

I've never polished the edge of a knife to a mirror finish but have used the "scary sharp" method of sharpening for my woodworking chisels. Polished to the point they have a mirror finish. There is much less effort needed to attain my desired result.

It comes directly into play with the topic. A knife that is scalpel sharp is going to be much more useful in defeating a foe than one that is just sharp. I can shave the hair off my arms with my knives but I doubt any surgeon would find them sharp enough for his/her purposes.

·
Super Moderator
9,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·

·
Super Moderator
9,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
I modified the sheath somewhat like this chap did....the rubber around the connection point and added a pouch to the front.
Finally stopped to watch this.
That pouch is an excellent idea, and actually solves a problem I was going to have with mounting this knife on my carrier.
I have two of those same mag pouches lying around somewhere, and this will give me the ability to add back one of the pistol mag carriers I had to remove to make this knife fit on the front. Thanks for the vid!

Reactions: Robie
81 - 100 of 132 Posts