Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sparked from our recent discussions concerning being always ready for the "call to arms", I have started again considering what to include as part of my "minuteman" loadout.

For those unfamiliar with the concept, "minutemen" were those ready and willing to respond to militia orders within a "minute's notice", and have all their gear at the ready at all times for such a call. These were prominent during the times surrounding the American Revolution, and the concept has become a bit more widespread in recent years due to the last U.S. administration.

With the reminder from our discussions that we must always be vigilant and ready, I'm reassembling mine again. I have no current reason to believe its need is imminent, but if the time comes that it is, I don't want to be caught flat-footed. We are "preppers", after all.

I have taken the time to choose a rifle, a sidearm, magazines, and a plate carrier, and all of these things are assembled together and ready. They do NOT, by any means, complete my kit. My kit has been separated over the past two years for various reasons, and I'm going to be rectifying that over the next few days to weeks. (this could be a new discussion unto itself)

This post is intended to request assistance from the community, and get opinions on a very specific type of knife to include with this loadout.
I have fine-cutting and utility knives aplenty. What I lack is a true fighting knife. I could make due with a few I have, but I'm not convinced any of them would be ideal.

I'm reaching out to all of you to pick your collective brains and learn from your experiences.
I know of the legendary Ka-Bar, and I've heard good things about the SOG Seal Pup. There are things I like and dislike about both.
I'm wanting to learn whether my opinions align with the true nature of a fighting knife, or if I'm just an unschooled pleb relying on bad intuition. (likely)
I consider myself a "knife guy", in that I've been collecting them and learning about them since I was 10. I even spent time focusing my learning on the many aspects of the sword. I've just never taken the time to learn about fighting knives.

So, to the community...
What makes a good fighting knife?

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
First off, I'd try to get out of the fray because even the winner is probably going to get cut.

But if I had to pick a knife, I'd pick a polished TOPS C.U.T. 4.0 and keep my pinkie inside the ring.

It's a blade, it's brass knuckles, and it makes lovely Julienne Fries...

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I would say any blade three inches and up of a decent quality that the wielder knows how to use. That ain't me.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
I don't refer to my polished knife as a "fighting knife." But I did read a lot of Massad Ayoob back in the day. He used the term "fending." That is, the attacker is too close, you use a some form of strike to back him off, then 'speed rock' your pistol directly from the holster and fire. At that range, the shot is usually in the torso.

And BTW, I think knife fighting is plain silly. As a knife salesman I had to read TK magazine to keep up with trends. And I ruffled a lot of feathers by saying there are no knife fights. Oh, there are knife attacks, but not two duelists who have some smarmy sense of honor and demand their enemy to "step into the light."

Did you guys know there is a Bowie knife school? And these guys are rabid.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I suppose it comes down to your own definition of “fighting knife”, my idea of a fighting my knife is more along the lines of a ka-bar, or a bayonet whereas knives like the Sykes-fairbairn and the m2, are really more like daggers I.e they are not intended primarily as back up weapons, rather they are proactive solutions to a particular problem: killing quietly.
So I’m as much as they are knives, they can do most “knife things” but their utilitarian value is sharply curtailed as they are made better suited to specific tasks such as killing.
As I’ve mentioned before, my sog seal pup has been an excellent knife low these many years, capable of performing a variety of tasks, from the mundane to the “tactical “.

Reactions: Kauboy

·
Super Moderator
9,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The sentiments posed here are true, and not lost on the author.
A knife is NOT the preferred weapon of any two-sided encounter.
If one ever reaches a point where the knife becomes the only option, one has come grossly unprepared or been caught totally unawares.

That said, covering all ranges of engagement is not something to be ignored. A fighter should not be skill or gear limited to only striking at a distance. Whether by necessity of a silent takedown, creating space to break away and get to cover, or plunging into your enemy's chest while taking your own dying breath, the blade is not to be scoffed at and rejected outright.

I thank those who've offered their opinions. Keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
The way I see it, I'm gonna avoid a knife fight, or any other close in combat, like the plague. Therefore, I won't plan for it by having a "fighting" knife. I do always carry my Gerber Covert auto in my pocket, so I guess that is the one I'd fight with, when there is no other option.

·
Super Moderator
9,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The way I see it, I'm gonna avoid a knife fight, or any other close in combat, like the plague. Therefore, I won't plan for it by having a "fighting" knife. I do always carry my Gerber Covert auto in my pocket, so I guess that is the one I'd fight with, when there is no other option.

You've posted that knife before. Applegate designed that knife to be a fighting folder, based on his Applegate-Fairbairn fighting knife. You've been carrying a fighting knife all this time. ;-)

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
You've posted that knife before. Applegate designed that knife to be a fighting folder, based on his Applegate-Fairbairn fighting knife. You've been carrying a fighting knife all this time. ;-)
Damn, you learn something new every day. And I thought I just had a fancy box opener & hay bale cutter. :) I do see where that shape of the blade might be best for penetration when jabbed.

Well it is a damn fine knife. Best of all I've carried.

·
Registered
12,477 Posts
Sykes-fairbaun is damned good choice. We are taking about killing someone with a knife Not filleting a fish. A big Bowie would be good. Ka bars and trench knives can do the job.

It’s best not to have to knife fight because even if you when it could not be good for you.

Maybe combine a Bowie with a tomahawk. Make sure you do some studying on technique, books and videos. If you can find a sparing partner, so much the better.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I carry a Larry Fisch design aptly called Hunt and Fisch
It’s a CRKT brand. What sold me was the horizontal sheath that enables me to carry it somewhat concealed.
The blade is 3” overall length 6”. It fits my hand well due to a finger cut out near the front of the handle.

It’s not what most would think of as a combat blade but it’s heavy enough and long enough to get someone off me if I’m attacked.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
E7FD3858-E2C5-48F5-ADB3-88638CD6F59A.jpeg
These are my edc knives, the sog is in my bag. The idea of the three is the Swiss Army knife handles food and tool things, the folder(Crkt heiho) handles most tasks, and is really used hard, and the sting 3b is the "fighting/defense" knife. It's super slim, light and stupid sharp.
I know the OP was really asking about a knife for his battle belt/line 2 stuff, but this is just one way to address the knife question. Jm2c

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
One of my old ex air force pals says he can whip any knife fighter in town by taking off his hand stitched cowboy belt with the big buckle and whipping them with the buckle end. He says hes done it several times. Think he must do it sorta like this.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
If it comes down to a knife fight, I am going to say the best knife for me to have is the cheapest, crappiest, shortest blade, piece of crap thing you can find. I am not a knife fighter. If it comes down to fighting with a knife for my life and the lives of those I hold dear, I want the crappiest thing I can find so the attacker has less to use against them.

That being said, when I am at home, my EDC is a Benchmade Osborne. When I travel, I prefer a Kershaw Leek. I think the Kershaw Leek is the BEST general purpose folding knife ever made. The blade is made of good (not great) steel, but it holds an edge well. It is also thin enough that it can be sharpened to razor fineness. I have. literally, shaved with it and it works fine.

The Benchmade is much beefier and holds an edge MUCH longer, but it is not nearly as refined for cutting.

Put the tool in the toolbox for the job you expect to have to do.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts