Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

What kind of hobbies y’all got?

10K views 92 replies 49 participants last post by  Brandau Sousa 
#1 ·
#2 ·
The study of military history, focusing on World War Two.

#9 ·
Same here. I'm currently reading the 3rd book, Twilight of the Gods, in Ian W. Toll's pacific war trilogy. Don't know if you are familiar with his books, but they are awesome. One of the best books I've read in years is by him, called Six Frigates. Not about WWII but about the building of our first navy ships... a contract for 6 frigates. One of the six is the USS Constitution (Old Ironsides). Besides the design & building there is great details in their battles, including the war of 1812. Fascinating part is how he includes a lot of US history during this time. If you think our politics today are nasty, it was worse back then.

#7 · (Edited)
I make my own rootbeer, ginger ale and cigarettes for fun and profit. I used to enjoy making beer wine and ethanol but the dirty rat who sold the essential extractors got strong armed by the Federal Jack booted thugs to turn over his customer list..which it aint illegal to own the equipment without a permit in Texas but it is in some states they started sending me threatening letters trying to make me get a permit and be subject to them coming raiding me some dark night..so I sold that to a Gypsy for cash. It makes a person drink too much anyway. I also enjoy metal detecting..mainly coin shooting. I also enjoy playing on Alf Gores Internet when I aint busy. I have to limit beer and wine conspumption because of gout. I got in both feet at the same time a few years back.

#8 ·
I read about nutrition and lately I'm trying to buy more food from farms/independent grocers. Corporate grocers are going to help implement Agenda 21 and the Great Reset, so I'm trying to find alternate sources for what I need.

There is a farm store near me that has every animal part imaginable. I'm trying to eat more organ meats for nutrition and I just can't seem to find liver that consistently tastes good.

#12 ·
Liver is best when you butcher you own and serve the live the same day or next.

#15 ·
Pretty much the same as the first guy, guns & off road vehicles. Here's a little bit of the collection.

Attachments

#22 ·
I like to fish and drink bourbon. Right now I’m nerding out on expanding my knot tying abilities. I recently invested in a Shimano reel and a local company called Lamiglas for a new rod. Both were excellent buys.

I’ll be going for steelhead soon.

#23 ·
Sometimes there's a fine line between hobbies and regular activities. I think my current hobbies are blacksmithing, HAM & CB radio and all round preparedness. My regular activities on the other hand are motorcycle riding, medium range rifle, archery, physical conditioning, trail hiking and playing a collection of musical instruments. There does seem to be a cyclic pattern where things shift in their prominence though. It’s always been grey to me. I think something becomes a hobby based on how much money I’m currently spending on it… or maybe that’s my wife’s definition. Anyway, I like to do a lot of stuff..

#26 · (Edited)
Loving my wife and maintaining the property are my hobbies.

Honeybees, vegetable garden, pistol and rifle practice, chasing cows and cursing chickens, maintaining the solar system, cutting way to much grass, laying tile floors and new siding on the house... just a few of my projects this year.
Following my wife while she shops for clothes and stuff is another of my important duties.

#27 ·
I pride myself in being able to pick up any hobby, have fun with it, and drop it like a hot plate once it bores me.
Too many things to try to be stuck to just a few.

Fisherman
Shooter
Archer
Bowyer
Golfer
Carpenter
Electrician
Plumber
Software developer
PC repair
Reloader
Radio operator
3D printer/modeler
Knife collector
Sabre fencer
Welder
Boater
Basic mechanic work
Gamer
Lockpick

It's safe to say that I dabble in lots of things and always have workbenches full of projects.
I drive my wife nuts.

#45 ·
Ya... that's exactly what I was talking about. Things seem to flow through my life-interests as well. I collect whatever I need to do it for a while, make room in the cupboards or on the wall to hang related stuff and then eventually move on. I pity the person who has to clean out my workshop when the need eventually arises. Back up the big truck!

#29 ·
Seems like most recently its "repairman" as the new house and Hot Nursey keep me pretty busy.

But when I have the time (Which is rarely these days)

Woodworking
fishing
shooting
drawing
hiking
golf (I haven't played in probably 5 years but I guarantee I could meet anyone of you on the course tomorrow and beat you. It's a weird talent.)
surfing (more of a lifestyle than a hobby though)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.