Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
I actually sold a buncha guns I wasnt using...Now I can still break down a Eucalid Dump truck with rifles lead and powder though. I was big into Amateur radio over 20K$ as well and have it on the back burner. When this stupid pandemic started I put a couple thousand bucks into old tube type radios at a good deal on ebay and started fixing them for fun. I had to tell the wife for profit too so she wouldn't complain but now I got about 40 like new tube radios from the 30's...40's and 50's and I cant bear to part with em.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
I actually sold a buncha guns I wasnt using...Now I can still break down a Eucalid Dump truck with rifles lead and powder though. I was big into Amateur radio over 20K$ as well and have it on the back burner. When this stupid pandemic started I put a couple thousand bucks into old tube type radios at a good deal on ebay and started fixing them for fun. I had to tell the wife for profit too so she wouldn't complain but now I got about 40 like new tube radios from the 30's...40's and 50's and I cant bear to part with em.
Yup, you got some nice looking boat anchors there, that 390 looks real nice,

I have a 388 and a 392 by Collins myself, had most of the 390 in a pile parts to build, lost it in a flood.

Used the 388 for RTTY back in the 80's, was real stable when warmed up.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I pride myself in being able to pick up any hobby, have fun with it, and drop it like a hot plate once it bores me.
Too many things to try to be stuck to just a few.

Fisherman
Shooter
Archer
Bowyer
Golfer
Carpenter
Electrician
Plumber
Software developer
PC repair
Reloader
Radio operator
3D printer/modeler
Knife collector
Sabre fencer
Welder
Boater
Basic mechanic work
Gamer
Lockpick

It's safe to say that I dabble in lots of things and always have workbenches full of projects.
I drive my wife nuts.
Ya... that's exactly what I was talking about. Things seem to flow through my life-interests as well. I collect whatever I need to do it for a while, make room in the cupboards or on the wall to hang related stuff and then eventually move on. I pity the person who has to clean out my workshop when the need eventually arises. Back up the big truck!

·
Administrator
15,448 Posts
I do a lot of reading, mostly historical and Autobiographies, Military. I also enjoy music. Nothing like smooth jazz on a Sunday morning a cup of coffee.
I like the Jazz Holdouts, Down To The Bone, Richard Elliot, Rick Braun, Four80East, LA Express, and a lot more.
But, I'm really a HUGE fan of Big Band and Swing from 1936 (or so) to the end of WW2. Benny Goodman is at the top of my list - he revolutionized popular music just as much as the Beatles did 30 years later.
Many evenings, after the wife goes to bed, I'll sit here with my laptop, headphones on, and listen to jazz while scrolling here and Face Book.

I also have had a SiriusXm subscription for 15 years, with the premium service that also allows me to stream it to my 'puter, phone, truck, or wherever.
I can hear Willie Nelson's Roadhouse, 60's On 6, 1940's Big Band, psychedelic rock (I was slightly hippie back in the day), Contemporary Jazz, Bluegrass, and so much more. The best $29/month I've ever spent.
And if I'm feeling like a glutton for punishment I can stream Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, or BBC news on my way home from work. About 10 minutes of that crap is my limit, though.

·
Registered
10,934 Posts
I read about nutrition and lately I'm trying to buy more food from farms/independent grocers. Corporate grocers are going to help implement Agenda 21 and the Great Reset, so I'm trying to find alternate sources for what I need.

There is a farm store near me that has every animal part imaginable. I'm trying to eat more organ meats for nutrition and I just can't seem to find liver that consistently tastes good.
Not sure yall are hearing the same radio ads but a lot of small ranches are selling direct to the public. The oldest boy in the food business said Trump is helping them out with subsidies and cuts in regulations perhaps. I bet Slippy could sell his eggs like that. The Warden just told me samonella from eggs comes from chicken poo on the shells..so he will will need an egg washing machine most likely.
https://www.strombergschickens.com/product/high-capacity-egg-washer

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
6,810 Posts
Half hobby half biz; I like to sew. I like to read books but there's never any time so I listen to a lot of Audible. Recently got through the entire series of The Lord of the Rings and Narnia. I like to cook, I like to clean and I loves me some dogs.

Other than that, it's the usual prepper stuff: gardening, canning, firearms...

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
My ATV is more of a tool than a hobby. Of course I screwed up a purchased a Polaris. Still have the junk but the CanAM is so much better but at least for me just tools . Now for son in law they are a life style. Firearms are a drug you must feed the addiction, some times more than others.
Motorcycles are in my blood and have spilled my blood ,bruised me and broken bones. My mother and father both said I was born to ride them and there was no reason to fight it only try to guide it.

·
Registered
10,934 Posts
Sauteed fresh in butter and a lil salt. Don't overcook or it gets pasty or rubbery. It should be rosey in the center. Slice it up and enjoy. Serve it with white wine.
All us cajuns at heart have a need for it to be incorporated in Boudan and Dirty Rice. Beef liver is too strong. Pork and or chicken liver is best. Deer liver would probably be ok..just guessing. Know they have tasty hearts. Actually Dirty Rice is Boudan somebody forgot to stuff in a gut.

·
Administrator
15,448 Posts
Half hobby half biz; I like to sew. I like to read books but there's never any time so I listen to a lot of Audible. Recently got through the entire series of The Lord of the Rings and Narnia. I like to cook, I like to clean and I loves me some dogs.

Other than that, it's the usual prepper stuff: gardening, canning, firearms...
Mmmm. Dogs!!!
We have been rescuing dogs for 40 years. Once we had 8 at one time. We are down to 4 now, and three of those are 15 or older.

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
6,810 Posts
Liver...the sewage treatment plant of the body. AND it tastes bad.
To each his own. But there may come one very fine day when meat is scarce and we're lucky to have the liver. Who knows? You may decide not to turn your nose up then. Remember Annie said don't overcook it. Cook it fast. A turkey liver is like a minute and maybe half on each side w/high heat.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
To each his own. But there may come one very fine day when meat is scarce and we're lucky to have the liver. Who knows? You may decide not to turn your nose up then. Remember Annie said don't overcook it. Cook it fast. A turkey liver is like a minute and maybe half on each side w/high heat.
I've said many times on this forum that all bets are off if the SHTF.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Well.. besides breathing, and being like Slippy.. a jack of all trades, master of none.. I have a few hobbies that either keep me out of trouble or get me into trouble.

Sailing
Horses (4)/riding
IDPA/shooting/reloading
Camping/traveling (road trips)
Kids (6) and grandkids (12)

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,448 Posts
God smiles on those that rescue pets.
He sure has smiled on me.
For many years my salary alone supported a partially disabled wife, 8 dogs, 3 horses (all rescues too), and often 50 or more chickens.
Plus payed the mortgage and everything else.

Now, toward the end of my years, we have no "retirement savings" but He found ways to get everything paid off and give us a good life. Peace and contentment is something that money can not buy.

When I was a kid, like most young boys with BB guns and 22 rifles, I used to kill animals just for the heck of it.
One particularly long and dangerous night in Vietnam, hunkered down in a hole half filled with water, where I KNEW I was going to die any second, He put a feeling in my heart for what I had done as a child. Right there, in that hole, I saw.
When the sun came up the next morning, I was a changed man. And I love animals.
God is Good. And He is the center of my world.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Used to really enjoy IDPA competitions when I was in Kommiefornia. Always shot with my XDm 4.5" .45...Fun. Couldn't find anything like that when I moved to WA state...did some weekly shooting that more USPCA like, indoors, and I didn't care for that at all - did it for about a year. In Kommiefornia, it was all outdoors and it accommodated many people - probably over a hundred shooting all kinds of competitions. Even did some shoot houses that were lots of fun!

Oh well...my eyes also aren't the best any longer...

Peace,
Michael J.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts