Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
15,479 Posts
The study of military history, focusing on World War Two.

·
Administrator
15,479 Posts
Same here. I'm currently reading the 3rd book, Twilight of the Gods, in Ian W. Toll's pacific war trilogy. Don't know if you are familiar with his books, but they are awesome. One of the best books I've read in years is by him, called Six Frigates. Not about WWII but about the building of our first navy ships... a contract for 6 frigates. One of the six is the USS Constitution (Old Ironsides). Besides the design & building there is great details in their battles, including the war of 1812. Fascinating part is how he includes a lot of US history during this time. If you think our politics today are nasty, it was worse back then.
Yes, I have heard good things about Toll's trilogy. I haven't checked Amazon for them yet, though. I don't check out books from the library, I buy them. My reading style takes too long for any one book.

I will have a few volumes "working" at any one time. I'll read for an hour or so each evening, just before bed. I generally will read from one for maybe a week, set it aside to come back to later, and read from another for a few days.

Right now, it's The Great Crusade by General Dwight D. Eisenhower; D-Day, by Stephen Ambrose; Decision In Normandy, by Carlo D'Este; A Clash Of Wings, WWII In The Air, by Walter Boyne; and Tank Rider, Into The Reich With The Red Army, by Evgeni Bessonov (a memoir of an infantry platoon leader).

It's almost time for my once-in-a-decade reading of Winston Churchill's 6 volume treatise on WWII.

I've been a member of the Military Book Club for probably 30 years, plus once a year our local branch of the county library sells old books to make room for new ones - hardbacks are $1.00 each. I'll go in the first few hours of the sale and buy 20 or more, all history, ranging from the Revolution thru Korean War.

I do not watch any TV at all, don't drink, smoke, or take dope. The printed word is my drug of choice. I collect books.

Reactions: Annie and SOCOM42

·
Administrator
15,479 Posts
I do a lot of reading, mostly historical and Autobiographies, Military. I also enjoy music. Nothing like smooth jazz on a Sunday morning a cup of coffee.
I like the Jazz Holdouts, Down To The Bone, Richard Elliot, Rick Braun, Four80East, LA Express, and a lot more.
But, I'm really a HUGE fan of Big Band and Swing from 1936 (or so) to the end of WW2. Benny Goodman is at the top of my list - he revolutionized popular music just as much as the Beatles did 30 years later.
Many evenings, after the wife goes to bed, I'll sit here with my laptop, headphones on, and listen to jazz while scrolling here and Face Book.

I also have had a SiriusXm subscription for 15 years, with the premium service that also allows me to stream it to my 'puter, phone, truck, or wherever.
I can hear Willie Nelson's Roadhouse, 60's On 6, 1940's Big Band, psychedelic rock (I was slightly hippie back in the day), Contemporary Jazz, Bluegrass, and so much more. The best $29/month I've ever spent.
And if I'm feeling like a glutton for punishment I can stream Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, or BBC news on my way home from work. About 10 minutes of that crap is my limit, though.

·
Administrator
15,479 Posts
Half hobby half biz; I like to sew. I like to read books but there's never any time so I listen to a lot of Audible. Recently got through the entire series of The Lord of the Rings and Narnia. I like to cook, I like to clean and I loves me some dogs.

Other than that, it's the usual prepper stuff: gardening, canning, firearms...
Mmmm. Dogs!!!
We have been rescuing dogs for 40 years. Once we had 8 at one time. We are down to 4 now, and three of those are 15 or older.

·
Administrator
15,479 Posts
God smiles on those that rescue pets.
He sure has smiled on me.
For many years my salary alone supported a partially disabled wife, 8 dogs, 3 horses (all rescues too), and often 50 or more chickens.
Plus payed the mortgage and everything else.

Now, toward the end of my years, we have no "retirement savings" but He found ways to get everything paid off and give us a good life. Peace and contentment is something that money can not buy.

When I was a kid, like most young boys with BB guns and 22 rifles, I used to kill animals just for the heck of it.
One particularly long and dangerous night in Vietnam, hunkered down in a hole half filled with water, where I KNEW I was going to die any second, He put a feeling in my heart for what I had done as a child. Right there, in that hole, I saw.
When the sun came up the next morning, I was a changed man. And I love animals.
God is Good. And He is the center of my world.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts