Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
The study of military history, focusing on World War Two.
Same here. I'm currently reading the 3rd book, Twilight of the Gods, in Ian W. Toll's pacific war trilogy. Don't know if you are familiar with his books, but they are awesome. One of the best books I've read in years is by him, called Six Frigates. Not about WWII but about the building of our first navy ships... a contract for 6 frigates. One of the six is the USS Constitution (Old Ironsides). Besides the design & building there is great details in their battles, including the war of 1812. Fascinating part is how he includes a lot of US history during this time. If you think our politics today are nasty, it was worse back then.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I do not watch any TV at all, don't drink, smoke, or take dope. The printed word is my drug of choice. I collect books.
Once again, same here. :) However a few differences. Since my daughter-in-law is the county librarian and she runs the library at the local prison, last few years I have been giving up all my books for the prison ministry. For years my wife has been telling me I needed to switch to Kindle, as it is cheaper but I'm a stubborn ass and stuck with the printed word. My eyes have been progressively getting worse so just this week I purchased a Kindle reader. I went with the more expensive Kindle Oasis, as it is a bit bigger, has adjustable warm light... and was on sale for Cyber Monday. I thought I might regret my decision because I so love holding a book & reading off of a page, but I was wrong. It is so much easier on my eyes and has page turning buttons just in the right spot, where you hold it. I saw lots of reviews raving about that adjustable warm light but had no idea what they were talking about. I agree. It is really great. I have mine adjusted where the page is not white but has a reddish/brown tint, where it looks like you are reading an old book. I no longer need to turn on a reading lamp and the words jump off the page and is so much easier for me to read. Weighs no more than a book and about that same size... just thinner. I'm sold on it!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts