Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taxes just came in! Filling the holes in my bug out bag. Any recommendations on a good survival stove? Where to buy? Looking at an emergency folding stove but not sure if maybe there is something better I have not come across yet. And also what do you cook in? (Survival pots/pans etc) Thank you guys!!!! ::saber::

·
Registered
444 Posts
I personally have a paint can stove that I built myself. I am always looking to re-purpose things lying around my house or garage. There are lots of videos on YouTube if you are interested in building one. I am not educated enough about commercial equipment to give you any recommendations.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Taxes just came in! Filling the holes in my bug out bag. Any recommendations on a good survival stove? Where to buy? Looking at an emergency folding stove but not sure if maybe there is something better I have not come across yet. And also what do you cook in? (Survival pots/pans etc) Thank you guys!!!! ::saber::
Well there are a number of home built that are cheap and I've tried a few. I've also tried a couple of the commercial ones but the best I've found for my needs cooking for two people only is the BioLite camp stove. You can check them out at BioLite - BioLite Stove and I liked it so much I also bought the grille attachment that just came out for it. There are also a number of videos on youtube with reviews of it.

·
Registered
634 Posts
In my bag I have the GSI Halulite MicroDualist Cooking System, and in the wifes she has the GSI Halulite Ketalist Cookset. I also picked one of the below, it works. still kinda on the fence with it. The nice thing is they are really light but the sporks that come with them are crap.

Mini Portable Ultra Light Outdoor Butane Propane Canister 3" Camp Stove Burner | eBay

I have also made a few of the pop can stoves but I just don't think they burn log enough to make worth while.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have a simple mess kit, a space saving camp cup, and another pot with a lock on lid. I also have a little folding pocket stove, with those white fuel cubes. It works pretty well, boils a cup of water in about 8 minutes, but the cube only burns for about 10.

·
Registered
72 Posts
MSR makes great little stoves for packing. One tank will burn for about 1.5 hours. Which is alot when it will boil water in just a few minutes... This is more for boiling water for Mountain house freeze dried meals. Its light and very small.... Its not for living on but is awesome for a 72hr bag. IMG_1086.jpg

·
Registered
938 Posts
In my BOB, I carry a Coleman 1-burner propane Perfectflow stove. Runs for nine hours on low, 2.2 hours on high, off of one 16 oz. propane mini-cylinder.

I just use a regular small teflon saucepan (also use for tea and coffee) and a medium teflon frying pan.

When I camp, etc,, I use a two-burner Coleman stove, and a matching griddle to cook on.

Coleman - Coleman ? PerfectFlow? 1-Burner Portable Camping Stove for Backpacking - PerfectFlow? 1-Burner Stove

Coleman - Classic 2-Burner Stove

Coleman - Triton? Series Griddle

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I use a usgi canteen cup, my knives and steel fork and spoon. It's light weight and together with the usgi canteen and pouch pack up compactly and neatly. Camouflaged too which is important. I've used them a long time and found I don't need much more for myself. Drop dead lizard in the cup, some wild rice, a little seasoning salt and water and there you go, instant soup. :mrgreen:

Amazon.com: canteen cup

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well im goin for a Primus multi-fuel stove with 2 or 3 1000ml bottles so I can scrounge fuel by getting under vehicles and punching a hole in the lowest part of the tank as the fuel pickup in the tank NEVER gets all of it so I should be able to get some out.

IF I do ever need to GTFO in a 'midden meets the mill' situation.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
While my primary source of cooking will be the good ol camp fire or fire in the fire place...I am using a couple of options at the moment as back up or alternatives.

The first is the Coleman dual fuel stove 533. I think I paid a whopping 29.00 fun dollars for it. Its a single burner stove that holds about a pint of Gasoline or white gas. It will burn for several hours on a fill and I have used it extensively out camping and even for providing emergency heat during the winter in a power outage! It worked very well.

The second option I have that I have worked with considerably is the Sterno Folding stove that uses the little 2 hour gelled alcohol fuel cans. This isnt the most economic stove if you buy your fuel in the 2 pack cans for 4.88 at wally world like most do, but if you buy the 72 pack from wally world and have it shipped to the local store you pay no shipping and you can get them for about a buck a 2 hour can. That is pretty economical and pretty convienent as well. I think I paid less than 5 bucks for the stove. Its compact and stores well in a back pack. Throw in about 4 fuel cans and you should be set for the week end out in the woods.

As for cooking gear...I carry in my pack a small mess kit and I also carry a small wok that will easily make a meal for two. I think I paid all of about 19.00 dollars for it, packed correctly in your pack it doesnt take as much room up as one might think. The advantage I find in a wok is that I can cook damn near anything in it from soups to stirfry and everything between. That covers a lot of territory. It sucks for pancakes and no you cant bake a cobbler in it like you could a dutch oven but for just about everything else its hard to beat. Now if I can find a small steamer basket to fit it...Ill be eating like a king in a 5 star restruant!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I use a titanium cup to cook in and I made a Super Cat stove made out of a cat food can. It burns alcohol (I use 190 proof grain alcohol but you can also use denatured alcohol or rubbing alcohol). The flame burns pretty blue and I use a bit of aluminum foil as a windscreen so pretty stealth.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Mines really pretty simple and goes into one pot for storage except the stove.

BioLite wood burning stove and grill
BioLite CampStove.jpg BioLite CampStove with portable grill.jpg

Alpine 1.1 liter stowaway pot that is large enough the hold the whole set of Stansport 360 camp set.
MSR 1.1L Alpine Stowaway Pot_1.jpg Stansport 360 Stainless Steel Mess Kit.jpg

Silver ware etc is what I have on hand which is a pair of forks, knives and spoons, short tongs and a spatula as well as measuring cups and spoons that fit in one tight little section inside the cook set.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I imagine we will be cooking over an open fire. We also have a wood burning stove with two burners on the top. There again, cooking with wood fire.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I carry an MSR Pocket Rocket and a can of fuel in my pack... good for a quick water boil.
my wife carries a BioLite system in her pack... amazing product that burns hot with virtually no smoke.
Between the two options we're in pretty good shape. If we're camped somewhere for a while and don't require stealth we can use the tried and true campfire.

Cookware is an MSR set that's been on the road with us for years... nothing special.

·
Registered
336 Posts

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I have in my mess kit, one small lidded pot, and and optional frying pan. as for stoves, I have built a "woodgas" can stove, the alcohol can stove, have a few hobo candles I havent lit yet, and was thinking about getting or making a small folder style, but so far, hands down, the woodgas stove is the option for me, i sat on the back porch and burned a handfull of twigs from the yard, and was veri impressed with the heat output and the slow consumption. I have lost a coleman bottletop grill, need to dig into a few last boxes before I buy another. And like someone said, almost evry stove listed has been reviewed on good old youtube...

·
Registered
100 Posts
cast iron pans, a dutch oven and some random pots for cooking over a fire and a hobo stove if need be. Coleman stove with the 20lb tank adapter is the way to go in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts